[Resurrected] Darkest Era in Rugby League

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Greenberg is todays prototypical "leader" - no ****ing idea about the business he is supposed to be running, just focussed on meaningless virtue signalling, "values", going through the process, blah, blah, blah. All with zero accountability, aided and abetted by the propaganda department aka the media.

One of the big differences ( quite apart from the game itself) between say the 70’s/80’s/90’s and today is the media are largely part of the broadcasters so they very much “ tow the company line” and rarely do you find one prepared to say anything untoward.

Whereas in the past they were independent and spoke their minds freely.

So, unless you are on a forum like this you think everything is just rosey.

Last edited:
One of the big differences ( quite apart from the game itself) between say the 70’s/80’s/90’s and today is the media are largely part of the broadcasters so they very much “ tow the company line” and rarely do you find one prepared to say anything untoward.

Whereas in the last they were independent and spoke their minds freely.

So, unless you are on a forum like this you think everything is just rosey.
What you mention about the media is so right!! The minions in the media tow the party line and the independence is rare now, no one is prepared to come and say that Greenturd is a dud leader and that the problems we have in the game are very real!! Today it is all about spin and peddling the Greenturd line and we are all poorer as a result!!

The Matty John show or whatever it's called came on last night, he said something about spending the weekend in Newcastle and "how good was it" and I immediately turned it off. I'll consider giving it another try after they've dropped 5 or 6 in a row.

Too many ex players in the media are too invested in the success of their old clubs. The only one who calls a game well with no bias is Brandy. It's probably unfair to ask him to call every single game though but a man can dream....

I only watch footy on fox so I occasionally tune into NRL 360 and that has its good moments. Although it can be pretty crap too with guests like Rothfield (his job is to write about the sport and he can't even remember players names!), Bulldog Ritchie is not much better.
As for the games they televise, well like many people I guess the watching of the games at home is also accompanied by beer and sometimes whisky so in my case I can drown out anything coming out of the speakers with my own cheering and comical insights, I believe that Gasnier is by far their worst commentator. I would prefer Sally Fitzgibbons over him as a commentator. As mentioned Alexander is good. Also prefer the play by play call of Warren Smith and Andrew Voss to anyone they have on channel nine. I don't mind Blocker Roach in small doses as he can be insightful...he also tipped Manly and said that Manly have the best young pack of forwards in the comp last week so that elevated him a bit in my opinion.

Last edited:
Co-Incidentally Super League wanted to kill us off back then too.

Actually, Super League wanted Manly because they wanted a club representing northern Sydney and John Ribot, for all his faults, knew that Manly was a better option there than North Sydney. As the glamour club we fitted the SL profile. And from memory the club did consider it at one point, but it was always known that we would stay loyal to Arko and the ARL.

Last edited:
I only watch footy on fox so I occasionally tune into NRL 360 and that has its good moments. Although it can pretty crap too with guests like Rothfield (his job is to write about the sport and he can't even remember players names!), Bulldog Ritchie is not much better.
As for the games they televise, well like many people I guess the watching of the games at home is also accompanied by beer and sometimes whisky so in my case I can drown out anything coming out of the speakers with my own cheering and comical insights, I believe that Gasnier is by far their worst commentator. I would prefer Sally Fitzgibbons over him as a commentator. As mentioned Alexander is good. Also prefer the play by play call of Warren Smith and Andrew Voss to anyone they have on channel nine. I don't mind Blocker Roach in small doses as he can be insightful...he also tipped Manly and said that Manly have the best young pack of forwards in the comp last week so that elevated him a bit in my opinion.
I used to enjoy Andy Raymond calling the later Saturday night games because he was the only guy anywhere that would favour Manly. There was a brief period where Tallis was his sidekick and they were actually good! I can't even believe I'm typing something positive about Tallis but alas they shifted Raymond to sideline duties and it all went to ****...

There is always social media [ which i am not in to ] in more contemporary times to offer some diversity and balance and different perspectives but i am not sure if the average League follower or the general public is that engaged enough to really care . Murdoch controls much of the news and sports orientated media in Australia and has never forgiven Manly for being so instrumental in preventing him from a complete take over of the code in the mid - nineties . Also he [ or his organization ] is still influential in pay T V and all this combined influence plus some really unwarranted lingering public anti - Manly bias is still manifesting into blatant disadvantage to the Manly club . Manly just has to stay strong and defiant AGAIN to come out the other side as a proud and competitive club .

Nein's post game show on Friday night was cringe worthy. It was a Thurston love fest from start to finish.

Here is a question. If a NSW player playing for Manly or the Tigpies or St Merge had played their 300th game on Friday night, would Peter Beatie have been there to award him with an encased game ball and a plaque to commemorate the occasion? For mine Beatie is just another Queenslander pushing for Queensland and will remain so until he proves otherwise.

I love the game of rugby league, but like a lot of others here, with the way things are in the NRL and the direction the so-called leaders are taking the game, I would seriously contemplate walking away if not for the fact that I love this club.

I’ve been saying this for a while now, if I wasn’t such a die hard for my club I could easily walk away from the game.

Like many I feel very disillusioned and to be honest can’t wait until Scam and Thurston retire,the sooner the better!
Be careful what you wish for. Once they retire they will become expert commentators on Fox and you will see and hear them EVERY game not just the ones they are playing in.

There is always social media [ which i am not in to ] in more contemporary times to offer some diversity and balance and different perspectives but i am not sure if the average League follower or the general public is that engaged enough to really care . Murdoch controls much of the news and sports orientated media in Australia and has never forgiven Manly for being so instrumental in preventing him from a complete take over of the code in the mid - nineties . Also he [ or his organization ] is still influential in pay T V and all this combined influence plus some really unwarranted lingering public anti - Manly bias is still manifesting into blatant disadvantage to the Manly club . Manly just has to stay strong and defiant AGAIN to come out the other side as a proud and competitive club .

Social media is even worse.

Everyone “ follows “ the media people, the Mole has 140,000 followers even Buzz Rothfield commands 80,000 and my mate Reading the Play is growing rapidly with 10,000.

Fox Sports as a group have hundreds and hundreds of thousands of followers over their various accounts.

They command the social media space in a huge way.

So unless you are on a forum such as this, or perhaps one of those stupid Facebook pages that allow almost anything there’s no real “ discussion” as such.

Oh sure, I have a whinge about Bush footy but as only 300 people follow me it’s largely lost!!

And that’s why the circus just rolls on with us nothing but pawns.

Be careful what you wish for. Once they retire they will become expert commentators on Fox and you will see and hear them EVERY game not just the ones they are playing in.

Fair 'nuff Mr Alphie, but I reckon I'd rather them doing whatever off the field then on.

Social media is even worse.

Everyone “ follows “ the media people, the Mole has 140,000 followers even Buzz Rothfield commands 80,000 and my mate Reading the Play is growing rapidly with 10,000.

Fox Sports as a group have hundreds and hundreds of thousands of followers over their various accounts.

They command the social media space in a huge way.

So unless you are on a forum such as this, or perhaps one of those stupid Facebook pages that allow almost anything there’s no real “ discussion” as such.

Oh sure, I have a whinge about Bush footy but as only 300 people follow me it’s largely lost!!

And that’s why the circus just rolls on with us nothing but pawns.

You can buy followers, as I am sure those knobs have done.

Agree Ralphie, I couldn't wait to see the end of Michael Clarke from the Test side and now I have to mute every game as he seems to be commentating whenever I turn a game on. It will be the same with these two. Hopefully they turn to coaching.

Hello all.

My first post after many moons reading (and yes, I have joined the tipping comp!)

I agree with a lot that has been written. Personally I'll add that my passion for watching is about as low as it's ever been. Proud Manly man for near on 40 years, but I don't feel "it" anymore even when watching Manly play. Combination of factors I guess. No real connection to the players today (save for a few). And the way the game is played, only the jersey changes indicate that a different game is being played to the one you just watched. Everyone plays the same structure. Boring, and as predictable as you can get.

And the media types....even though I work in it....inane dribble for the most part.

Working on making sure my next post will be a more positive one!

Cheers
Kevin

Hello all.

My first post after many moons reading (and yes, I have joined the tipping comp!)

I agree with a lot that has been written. Personally I'll add that my passion for watching is about as low as it's ever been. Proud Manly man for near on 40 years, but I don't feel "it" anymore even when watching Manly play. Combination of factors I guess. No real connection to the players today (save for a few). And the way the game is played, only the jersey changes indicate that a different game is being played to the one you just watched. Everyone plays the same structure. Boring, and as predictable as you can get.

And the media types....even though I work in it....inane dribble for the most part.

Working on making sure my next post will be a more positive one!

Cheers
Kevin

G'day Kevin,

thanks for joining the tipping comp and being a premium member! I admit I used to love most games (except the storm) but it wanes a bit. Possibly because I am overseas now but also media bias, ref bias, inconsistency, bias bias bias bias.... but what warms the 'cockles' is that despite all the crap hurled our way, we've still won a premiership in every decade since the 70's!

Go Manly!

- keep on posting!

edit: And in a true tragedy, I'm outta bourbon!

Cheers Globaleagle.

Happy to be part of the Manly die-hard community. And yes, lots of crap hurled our way in recent times. We've always loved the hate....(easy when you're winners) the unfair and bias treatment....the one rule for all....except Manly....not so much!

I first started reading this thread and thought I was going to reach for the dummy spit button....but the more I read and absorbed, it had an honest and real feel I could not deny.
I now rate it perhaps the BEST thread I have seen on Silvertails history....
Really?? I was pretty pissed off when I wrote it. If you aren't taking the piss then Cheers Maxta.

Actually, Super League wanted Manly because they wanted a club representing northern Sydney and John Ribot, for all his faults, knew that Manly was a better option there than North Sydney. As the glamour club we fitted the SL profile. And from memory the club did consider it at one point, but it was always known that we would stay loyal to Arko and the ARL.
From my fading memory Brisbane were very keen to see us knee capped as they believed we had too much influence on the game and had everything our own way. Ironically they now have that luxury.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8