Cust vs Croker at 9

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Predicted this a while back and in my opinion makes sense. Cust isn't an 80 minute hooker and shouldn't start, Cust will offer impact off the bench. All we need from Croker is to tackle hard, chase hard and give good early ball to our halves and let them create.Croker can and will do these simple things well... Bring Cust on as impact against tired defenders. I don't see starting Croker as a problem, I see the problem is if Croker or Cust are injured as we have no one else at the moment!
can see your reasoning but then it would come down to who would offer the most for longer stints and it would seem Cust so that is why he may still be the preferred starting 9 .With the present interchange or unless the interchange is increased , would have to be fairly selective how to manage any 9 interchange irrespective of who would start . Still a problem also if either Cust or Croker are out injured , , maybe Foran but that probably is not ideal also .

How do we fit Foran, Schuster, Cust & Croker into the 17? If Des scratches Schuster then we & he are fvcked!
Think that it has been mentioned before and just based on Schusters 's versatility and ability to play at 6 or the back row , can just go with two props on the bench and then any other combination there for the other two spots .

I was talking with someone who works with club in sports science team today and he said Croker was going to start as hooker .... also mentioned that it is not just Tommy T's hammy we have to worry about that his shoulder was a big concern too , Foran is going to struggle to stay on the field. On the plus side said he thought we've recruited well......
I just cannot see how Turbo’s shoulder would be a big concern. If that was the case, given he had a full off season, he would have had any required surgery for this.

Last edited:
How do we fit Foran, Schuster, Cust & Croker into the 17? If Des scratches Schuster then we & he are fvcked!
Schuster can play backrow or lock and cover for the halves. The game will be so much quicker, we will need versatility on the bench.
My bench
Paseka
Olakau-atu
Schuster
Cust

Yep.
To run Croker at 9, Cust as utility and then Schu off the bench would be madness.
That would leave Paseka and probably Keppie as our 2 forward rotations.
Our forwards would burn out halfway through the 2nd half of every game.
See what Manly Al said above. No reason why our forwards would burn out if Schuster covers backrow/lock

I just cannot see how Turbo’s shoulder would be a bigg concern. If that was the case, given he had a full off season, he would have had any required surgery for this.
Hope you are right. A few players have had massive dramas with shoulder problems in recent times, including Sam Burgess, Morgan from the cows, and also Fainu.

I just cannot see how Turbo’s shoulder would be a big concern. If that was the case, given he had a full off season, he would have had any required surgery for this.
I have no idea either? Surprised the **** out me too ...... I am just relaying information from someone who works in the rehab team with the club? Seemed legit but I hope it wasn't?

Last edited:
Ok - we all like a left fielder with extra salt - the Schu at 9 - great vision, fast, robust....hey - it's not where I would have him, but reckon he would play well there and create carnage through the middle.
Could it work - dangerous combination right here....
1 - Turbo
6 - Foran
7 - DCE
9 - Schuster
Personally feel it's likely Cust/Croker/Foran to get the start at 9, but what's a forum without some odd idea's ??

Schuster can play backrow or lock and cover for the halves. The game will be so much quicker, we will need versatility on the bench.
My bench
Paseka
Olakau-atu
Schuster
Cust
If I was the opposition coach I would want the Mercurial Schuster sitting on the bench against us

Instead of the Mercurial one having an impact in the game for a full 80 minutes he would be sitting on his arse (not ass , Thanks @Terry Zarsoff ) for half of it

I hope every one including Des gets the message

I agree. Just doubt Des throws a 3 gamer in at lock. He wouldn’t handle the defensive workload.
Schuster is heavily in our plans for 2021, zero doubt about that. However I still think it's more likely he'll be eased in via some cameo's from the bench. He may not even be in our 17 for round 1, but I'm sure if fit he'll be there for the back end of the season.
As for not being up to the defensive workload - he will be very similar in age to Cam Murray and Victor Radley when they first established themselves in NRL. They weren't found wanting, nor will Josh.

Look the way we get injuries in our backline whomever is in the backline will get plenty of Gametime.
Unfortunately we don't have a player who plays back five AND hooker or backrow and hooker, we only have halves to play hooker so bench versatility suffers.

Look the way we get injuries in our backline whomever is in the backline will get plenty of Gametime.
Unfortunately we don't have a player who plays back five AND hooker or backrow and hooker, we only have halves to play hooker so bench versatility suffers.
1. Tom Trbojevic

2. Jason Saab

3. Dylan Walker/Brad Parker

4. Moses Suli

5. Reuben Garrick

6. Kieran Foran

7. Daly Cherry-Evans

8. Marty Taupau

9. Jake Trbojevic

10. Josh Aloiai

11. Curtis Sironen

12. Haumole Olakau’atu/Andrew Davey

13. Josh Schuster

14. Cade Cust

15. Taniela Paseka

16. Jack Gosiewski

17. Sean Keppie

This team CLEARLY wont happen but it would very interesting to see if alternating dummy half across numbers 6,7,9 & 14, within the framework of the new rule changes, could result in both stiffening up the middle AND promoting more open play, on both sides of the field....

1. Tom Trbojevic

2. Jason Saab

3. Dylan Walker/Brad Parker

4. Moses Suli

5. Reuben Garrick

6. Kieran Foran

7. Daly Cherry-Evans

8. Marty Taupau

9. Jake Trbojevic

10. Josh Aloiai

11. Curtis Sironen

12. Haumole Olakau’atu/Andrew Davey

13. Josh Schuster

14. Cade Cust

15. Taniela Paseka

16. Jack Gosiewski

17. Sean Keppie

This team CLEARLY wont happen but it would very interesting to see if alternating dummy half across numbers 6,7,9 & 14, within the framework of the new rule changes, could result in both stiffening up the middle AND promoting more open play, on both sides of the field....
S66 you are probably correct it wont happen .
But I like it in that you have all our best players on the park at the same time ,and the bench looks good as well .Maybe Davey for Jack G ?
Interesting having Jake at 9 ( i know its been discussed before) middle defence would be 100% but what about his passing from the ruck and speed off the mark ? ,anyway with Foran , Schuster and DCE around that ruck maybe his speed of the mark wouldnt be an issue as you would think that lot would be able to pick apart an opposition defense ,with Cust to come on in the last 20 or so to attack tiring defences .

I almost feel sorry for Croker as I am sure Des told him to provide quick service out of dummy half.

I don't believe Des told him to have ZERO runs for ZERO metres. No wonder the men outside Croker were getting smashed left, right and centre. No one dummy half run all day. No kicks from dummy half .

A complete waste of a player playing #9.

Cust must come in for round 2.

It’s a no brainer, cust has to be given a go and why not move DCE into hooker for a game or 2 and play cust as our half, after all he is a half, and our half seems off his game, maybe it could prove positive in more than one way, maybe rejuvenate his enthusiasm, couldn’t hurt to try. DCE might think otherwise and what change getting Des onboard? Yep I know bugger all. I’m cringing at the thought of this weekend and South’s will be salivating.

Ive been a Croker apologist for the last 2 years. Why? Well against Canberra in the early rounds of 2019 I thought he won us the game after DCE got injured and taken off. Does anyone remember his performance and that game?

And In my view there wasn't much between Froggy and Cust last year..i'm sure others on here disagree but that was how i saw it.

However Ive seen enough now and after watching Cust's aggression and passion yesterday at Blacktown I'm 100% behind Cust to be our 9 immediately.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4