Cust vs Croker at 9

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I can't see us making the 8 without a recognised hooker, it's a crucial position. Crocker is already the whipping boy around here, Cust will become one if Des tries to shoehorn him into hooker. I hope we get a real 9 before the season starts.

I notice all the talk of Foran playing hooker (probably the main justification for getting him at the time he was signed) has gone very quiet. Total Des smokescreen to get his boy back. We should've secured a hooker before signing Foz IMO.

I can't see us making the 8 without a recognised hooker, it's a crucial position. Crocker is already the whipping boy around here, Cust will become one if Des tries to shoehorn him into hooker. I hope we get a real 9 before the season starts.

I notice all the talk of Foran playing hooker (probably the main justification for getting him at the time he was signed) has gone very quiet. Total Des smokescreen to get his boy back. We should've secured a hooker before signing Foz IMO.

Ned , he was cheap , close to nothing , a TPA from the late Brenda Duchen ( so I heard ) on the provision he played for Manly.

And I doubt ever really considered as a Hooker.

Ned , he was cheap , close to nothing , a TPA from the late Brenda Duchen ( so I heard ) on the provision he played for Manly.

And I doubt ever really considered as a Hooker.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying, but at the time it was reported in the media that Des got him to play hooker.

I don't think it matters how cheap we get him if we end up without a proper hooker. That should've been secured first, why couldn't they use that TPA money for a hooker? And if there was some left over look at Foran.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, but at the time it was reported in the media that Des got him to play hooker.

I don't think it matters how cheap we get him if we end up without a proper hooker. That should've been secured first, why couldn't they use that TPA money for a hooker? And if there was some left over look at Foran.

That TPA was for Foran ONLY, Brenda loved him like a son !!

Last edited:
I like it. I think Tuipulotu will push for a spot after a few weeks.
I also think we need a 9 on the bench unless Des really is considering switching Foz there mid game but I'm not convinced that will happen.
How good is it to actually have options this year, some quality players missing the cut!

I mostly agree, but I don't really see Foran being used as a dummy half. I guess it all depends on how well Cust goes at hooker and when and if we get Fainu back in the side.

I like the idea of the Cust (9), Foran (6/9), Schuster (bench/6) rotation mentioned earlier.

Halves get just as much traffic on the edge and consistently get spotted for one on one work by the edge backrowers. So Foran will get a defensive working over regardless, at least in the middle he'll get a lot more gang tackling assistance from the middle forwards. Foz is willing and defensively solid, if his body is going to let him down it'll happen wherever he plays in my opinion. I think his experience, kicking game, and playmaking ability is what we lacked at dummy half all last season.

My only doubts are over where Des sees Walkers future. I have a feeling he will stick with Walker at 6 and persist with Scorpio in the centres. Where that leaves Foran and Schuster I don't know, can't see how he can afford to have both of them on the bench. I doubt we sign Foz on a one year deal and not use him, so does The Shoe have to bide his time ??

I believe Foran has the skill and vision to bean excellent dummy half, however I don't know if his body is up to it. If his body can stand up to the defensive load involved it could work.

I believe Foran has the skill and vision to bean excellent dummy half, however I don't know if his body is up to it. If his body can stand up to the defensive load involved it could work.
Your 100% correct - only imagine the fresh faced Foran who burst onto the scene as a centre with Explosive acceleration, raw power and determination, plus the vision....would be near perfect for today's game.
There's no debate his efforts when moved to his preferred 5/8 were ideal in the Manly Golden period, but in the 2021 version would make a Top shelf 9....problem is exactly as you stated, his body will struggle to hold up in the middle with the enhanced workrate and physicallity, especially defensively.

I like the idea of the Cust (9), Foran (6/9), Schuster (bench/6) rotation mentioned earlier.

Halves get just as much traffic on the edge and consistently get spotted for one on one work by the edge backrowers. So Foran will get a defensive working over regardless, at least in the middle he'll get a lot more gang tackling assistance from the middle forwards. Foz is willing and defensively solid, if his body is going to let him down it'll happen wherever he plays in my opinion. I think his experience, kicking game, and playmaking ability is what we lacked at dummy half all last season.

My only doubts are over where Des sees Walkers future. I have a feeling he will stick with Walker at 6 and persist with Scorpio in the centres. Where that leaves Foran and Schuster I don't know, can't see how he can afford to have both of them on the bench. I doubt we sign Foz on a one year deal and not use him, so does The Shoe have to bide his time ??
Sounds spot on except for the bit about walker at 6, I just can't see Des doing that

With Foran in the squad I really can't see Walker playing at 6 again for Manly unless absolutely necessary. And that's a good thing. Yes he handled it OK the second time around, but there was no getting around the fact that he is a centre playing out of position when at pivot.

I think we might actually see Foran actually become a mentor for someone like Schuster.

This passage is interesting! "If Fainu remains stood down Manly will likely apply for salary cap dispensation for a hooker or playmaker with utility value by March."

Sounds like something is going on re Fainu we don't know, why would he not be stood down still in March?

I didn't know we got to have Fainu and a plus one if the NRL allow?

Last but not least. If this is being discussed, why would we wait till March?

Club would have to already know who they will bring in Blacktown player you would assume.

Does Anyone have any understanding of the NRL dispensation rules?

Did anyone happen to read this article only 4 days ago? A further push for the no fault stand down policy to be scrapped is it? So this is what Man are hanging their hat on, Fainu being available.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2