Cust a MUST!!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Cust is only 22, plenty of improvement in him. DCE = 3x+ his salary. Need to plan post DCE. Halves are expensive and not much quality around, evidenced by Townsend $700k a season. Firmly believe we will rue losing him (if in fact we do). Has shown he is extremely capable in the top grade and definitely more dangerous in attack than many in other teams on much bigger coin. (just my opinion).
Agree Cust always adds a bit when he gets a go....very solid attacking player who supports well and can score a try....personally always liked his ability.
DCE will kick on a couple more seasons yet and Cust ....well he seems to still be part of things, but would no doubt cement more regular top grade action at some other teams.
Thing is, we have some Quality Super young players coming through the ranks and as popular the name Trjobovic is at Manly - mark down Fainu, because in 2-3 years time half the team will have 1of these 2 Surnames...sounds crazy I know, but there are certain players who just "have it"....and these kids do.

With the emergence of Lawton in particular , just puts Cade a bit further back in the pecking order for a game day squad . Guess the reality is also that if Foz is not available [ and of course hope that this can be a rarity while he is still going so well ] Schuster and Walker are next preferences . Could depend whether Walker is re signed for next season and as Foz looks like he could go around again next season , and Cade 's prospects of playing more regular i st grade for Manly. Sure that a better opportunity to play i st grade and a bit more coin would appeal to any N R L player who again is receiving limited opportunities to play 1 st grade . Hasn "t played much 7 since his junior days but maybe goes a little better as a 6 and just a fill in 9 in essence . Don "t think that the club would be keen to part ways with Cade in the short term , into next year could be another matter

We don't need another forward. Hasn't our significant injury toll to our forwards this season proven that? Aloiai, Jake, Schuster, Saddler, Davey, Sironen, Boyle, S.Fainu, Gosiewski all unavailable last week - how did our forwards go? We have great depth there. In contrast, how did we go without a halves partner for Chez? Or a missing 9? Disaster. Every 30-man squad needs at least 6 (to 8) playmakers
We would need a stronger side in the forwards that played against the Gold Coast on the weekend to have any chance beating Melbourne or Penrith in the finals. Our injuries to date have been in the forwards it makes sense if an opportunity arises to bolster our depth in that area.

We would need a stronger side in the forwards that played against the Gold Coast on the weekend to have any chance beating Melbourne or Penrith in the finals. Our injuries to date have been in the forwards it makes sense if an opportunity arises to bolster our depth in that area.
Not sure you can build your squad around the assumption you'll have 8 forwards out at any given time.

Cust is only 22, plenty of improvement in him. DCE = 3x+ his salary. Need to plan post DCE. Halves are expensive and not much quality around, evidenced by Townsend $700k a season. Firmly believe we will rue losing him (if in fact we do). Has shown he is extremely capable in the top grade and definitely more dangerous in attack than many in other teams on much bigger coin. (just my opinion).
yes completely right. Also Foran looks like he has just one more year in him, and Manly has the option in favour for that year. So Cust would be well-placed to bide his time for another year as a bench or back-up at Manly, at his age. He lives here and likes it here.

DCE is in the prime fitness of his career and doesn’t look like slowing down anytime soon.

DCE will play until he is 35 easy.

It’s hardly realistic nor good for his development anyways to expect Cust to ride the pine for 3+ years until Daly retires. By that time Humphries / Fainu will be ready to play first grade anyways and pair with Schuster.

Oh and we still don’t know if Cust is a long-term 6, 7 or 9 either.
@Eddie Rapido have a read of this. Do you seriously think Cade Cust will be a ready-made fill-in after 3+ years of no game time? I definitely don’t.

Would love to keep cust as back up if he is happy to do that and not just let him walk.
People praise the Melbourne system seemingly having players fill in for injured and unavailable 1st choices and not skip a beat, Bellamy and his coaching structures gets all the credit, but alot of it is the quality of the back up
It is exactly as Cust is and how we find our quality depth at the moment.

Look at Cheese and Harry Grant, Hynes as well all understudy to what was Scam, paps etc.

We shouldn't let Cust walk unless of course a to good offer is there for him, as to have that sort of quality depth can be easily missed once gone.

How many more years do you think Foran and DCE will be playing (2 or 3 maybe?)

Isn't Schuster going great guns in the backrow, thus giving Manly a more dangerous attack?

Is Humphries a proven quantity at the top level? (see Broncos, Bulldogs, etc re relying on inexperienced playmakers)

What happens with a couple of injuries to our playmakers? (see Roosters)

Cust is a gun. He has a great all-round game - passing, kicking, running. He does not shirk the tough stuff in defence, is not intimidated, and has genuine x-factor. At this stage in his development, and at the price he's on now, we would be silly not to do do whatever we absolute could to hang onto him (of course if another club is offering overs, that's a different story). I see Cust as a vital short-term back up, and quite possibly the long-term heir to the number 7 - and that's assuming Fainu gets off, and Croker continues improving his game at 9.

How incredibly short-sighted would we be to bank on Walker and Foran and Chez, and not on our future??? We won't be a successful team in 2-3 years if our spine is dependent on just Schuster (and an unproven Humphries). Don't let this one get away Manly, we will regret it later (Parcell, Gutho, Hynes were in similar positions when we allowed other clubs to take advantage)
100% agree. All successful clubs and businesses have a succession plan. Would love to see Cust and Schuster in a few years time 7 and 6. Latu Fainu currently plays Harold Matthews (Under 16's) and Jamie Humphreys (SG Ball) Under 18's. They may well be our longer term future, but still very young and unproven.

Mate, I'm with you in a preference for keeping him. He has shown he is more than capable of stepping in for us.

As I said, I love Cust but it is my opinion that will will never likely see him as our permanent first choice half or 5/8.

That is no knock on him, just the way I see it playing out.

DCE another 3-4 years IMO

I think Latu Fainu looks something special and Humphries coming through too.

Now then could be the next Aaron Grooms or not,who knows what the future holds.

And Cust, well Cust will play plenty of first grade be it halves or hooker, Manly or elsewhere.
Agree with you mate.

He is playing reggies when not injured.
Reggies is not great development for a bloke turning 23 this year. Will be turning 26 by the time DCE retires with no full-time experience... would definitely prefer a fresh Fainu / Humphries who will be around 20 by then and supposedly have great potential... or sign a half.

Keeping a player for 3 years in reggies when they could be playing first grade is bad for all parties involved, himself and the club.

He is only being kept as backup AFAIK, not to be DCE's replacement.
I know that, and I'd be happy to keep him as he's great, but people here are saying we should keep him as DCE is getting old. I'm just saying its a moot point as when DCE is 'too old' will be in 3+ years, which it's unrealistic to keep Cust as a backup for that long without serious game time in first grade.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8