Coronavirus sucks.. but the NRL lives!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
NRL press conference in 20 minutes , I’m expecting they’ll move all teams to QLD, possibly Townsville ( the hottest part of Australia and the least likely part for the virus to survive ( it doesn’t like heat apparently ).

I guess we’ll know soon.

Gist of it is the game is broke if season cancelled. So glad Vlandys running game. Total honesty. That grub Beatty would be playing ducks and drakes.
Also shows what can happen when a business is run like the fools at NRL headquarters have run it for the last ten years.
With the panic merchants running the nanny state we are one player away from having an unrecognizeable competition in the years ahead- and our club must be in serious jeopardy of failing unless Penn injects ridiculous money.

Are crowd incomes what pays players wages or tv dollars ?
Are we in a point where players may have to work a part time job ?

Honestly the players will have to take a big financial hit if the season is suspended.

And you’d imagine all those support staff would be made redundant.

Penn needs to keep Des but you’d have to say anyone else is in grim danger.

I’m not a Trump fan but do follow his tweets for a laugh but he delivered a good one yesterday.

In the last decade between 27,000-70,000 died in the US from the common flu and to date 22 have died from Corona Virus, it’s media induced panic.

That’s not exactly the words but was the intent.

Figures are much bigger than that for flu Mark. 61000 died two years ago ( one of worst on record) and 30000 last year. The people effected most were elderly and infirm which is the same as this with the same basic symptoms.
I lived in Chicago in the 90s and in the harsh winters there the elderly were dying at incredible rates, particularly in the ghettos of south chicago where I helped a mate of mine do some charity work.
In 2009 HINI , which was a danger to anyone who caught it, not just the elderly,killed 500000 worldwide and 22000 in America with Obama running the country and it was a blip on the radar with little panic.

I must be missing something here. And if I’m right a lot of people and organisations will be destroyed because of it.

The mortality rate for the flu is around 0.1%. COVID 19 is between 0.6% and 1% depending on which experts you listen to. The real danger of COVID 19 is without a vaccine and with relatively benign symptoms for most carriers it could spread like wildfire unless appropriate containment measures are taken. That said I'm off to Brooky but will be keeping my high fives to myself.

The mortality rate for the flu is around 0.1%. COVID 19 is between 0.6% and 1% depending on which experts you listen to. The real danger of COVID 19 is without a vaccine and with relatively benign symptoms for most carriers it could spread like wildfire unless appropriate containment measures are taken. That said I'm off to Brooky but will be keeping my high fives to myself.
Assuming you are right , and I’m not convinced because the testing rates have been pathetic overseas , the real joke is you cant go to the footy where you sit next to a dozen or so people who are close enough to pass it on for a couple of hours yet we can get on trains, go to virus ridden malls for hours on end or eat in heaving restaurants and bars. A hell of a lot of people will watch the footy at pub/ club because they can’t go as well, probably being in closer contact than they would at footy.
Ban all public places or none. It’s a joke.And it may cost us our club.

Gist of it is the game is broke if season cancelled. So glad Vlandys running game. Total honesty. That grub Beatty would be playing ducks and drakes.
Also shows what can happen when a business is run like the fools at NRL headquarters have run it for the last ten years.
With the panic merchants running the nanny state we are one player away from having an unrecognizeable competition in the years ahead- and our club must be in serious jeopardy of failing unless Penn injects ridiculous money.

I have no doubt us and quite a few others wouldn’t survive.

One thing though is the players contracts are ( I think ) actually with the NRL, to play with a particular club.

Third party agreements aren’t meant to be facilitated by the club either.

SO, our club would have ( as ongoing expenses) the coaching staff and administrative staff.

I imagine all of whom ( possibly Des and maybe the CEO excepted) would be at great risk of being made redundant in this situation.

So we might possibly NOT lose our club but it would be taking a massive hit nonetheless!!

Kids dont have respect these days, dont understand the struggles previous generations had. Previous generations were taught respect.
Whom ever raised these kids has failed big time. (but dont tell them that, they are easily triggered).
Is there any generation that does not feel the same way? Sure I heard the same things about punks, hippies etc

Is there any generation that does not feel the same way? Sure I heard the same things about punks, hippies etc

Probably right but the difference is we didn’t have social media in my day , or even my kids day so anything said was largely unheard.

I’m surprised an intellectual giant such as yourself missed the part where I posted that my age is 49 young Oliver. I am a generation X man.

Change is coming whether I like it or not? Yeah I know... it’s bleeding obvious. I don’t need a Swedish teenager to tell me so lol. However, I’m willing to bet everything that the change you and little Greta tell me is fast approaching, won’t resemble the one in which you have stored in your heads.

Money rules the world Oliver, always has and always will. You can regurgitate yesterday’s knowledge in fancy new colour till you’re blue in the face and it won’t change the fact. The super rich will continue to rule the world via their banking systems whilst the middle classes of whom you so vehemently despise become thinner by the day.

Over 50% of the worlds entire wealth is owned by 1% of the population, and 85% of the entire wealth on earth belongs to the top 10% of adults. When they die, you’ll serve their kids.

The uneducated, schooner drinking opinion that I was attempting to get across was more to do with the way we used to respect our elders. The hatred some young people have toward older folk is outrageous. Those old bastards who are supposedly responsible for ruining your world just so happened to live in a period where they could get ahead by applying themselves and working hard. Wow, what a crime.

Do you drive a car?

And yeah... if old folk were dying in huge numbers around the world from a virus when I was young, I would have been more respectful and compassionate of the circumstance.
Fantastic to hear X-man, I'm glad you're not in the most vulnerable age bracket for this horrible pandemic (really).

I wasn't referring to climate change, global warming or whatever people want to term it as these days but I'll take the bait.

I don't need a Swedish teenager (what's a strawman anyway?) to tell me things are bad, I'll take the 97% consensus of climate scientist peer reviewed scientific journals word for it. Keep punching down like the lowest common denominator you are champ, bit harder to strip that one down to an irrelevant pejorative slogan, ay?

As a progressive society, one that has come out of the caves to become the apex species of an entire planet, an astute observation could be made that we have to acknowledge that the ingrained, conservative way of thinking is not always the yellow brick road to endless economic growth based on a planet of finite resources. In my opinion (which means **** all) we are witnessing the coming collision and inevitable correction - yes we have had worse economic conditions I haven't been around to experience but with the event horizon of negative cash rates among other unprecedented hail Mary's upon us, we are fast running out of ammunition. This is the nucleus that flies in the face of a generational groupthink who has the sum of their lifes work riding on a negative geared house of cards, so to speak.

I'm not and never would suggest that an entire generation didn't work their fingers to the bone and then some to get to where they are, nor am I suggesting we pull the rug out from under them, rather an honest open dialogue devoid of assumptions on who has or had it worse that aims to create a true environment to "have a go and get a go". For the betterment of society as a whole this unfortunately might result in a minority being worse off, across the board mind you.

If I was to provide a hypothetical example, think of a widowed Mavis living in a 6 bedroom home by herself in Roseville. Yes, she will be losing out in some individual aspect for the betterment of society as a whole however, she deserves comfort and appropriate compensation - it almost certainly will not be the equivalent, but she will not be destitute, nor preventing productivity by needlessly taking up space that can be utilised for better purposes... not to mention I'm sure she's one of the dyed in the wool conservatives who's suggestion to the young, fit and ready to work who can't find an economically viable place in society to head out west and muster some cattle, like that is a relevant solution in an increasingly automated and centralised society. This whole scenario is a hypocritical generalisation on my part, I'm open to critique.

There's a fine line between advocating for a redistribution of wealth, which to clarify I'm not except for the obscenely wealthy you've mentioned who extracted it from the aforementioned fast disappearing, economic engine middle class and having a serious discussion around repealing exploitative and enacting new, fairer models that truly empower individuals to enrich themselves determined by the effort they apply to themselves and benefit they provide society as opposed to the status quo.

Those old bastards you refer to could and did purchase a place to live based off their hard work, there's no doubt about it, but my issue is with the fact that for the vast majority of my generation and the ones to come, it's simply not even a possibility - but here's my personal situation juxtaposition to your view: I cannot afford to purchase a place to live within 1.5 hours (each way) of my workplace and I make 30k more than the median salary of the average Australian which puts me in a privileged position and one of the higher true earnings brackets in this country. I am expected to work 60 hours a week, 5-6 days a week and have already experienced multiple, significant mental and physical issues due to this and have had to care for disabled parents who are completely incapacitated while watching the government defund a social safety net (NDIS) in exchange for a surplus that never came whilst they subsidise the very people who's income I provide while their government rebates (see: welfare) protect and grow their positions. You could say my experience has made me see the forest for the trees, although I too am human and prone to misjudgment.

I've got nothing against you mate, my personal experience has shaped my view of things as has yours, I'm not a communist but I believe that the rampant individualism that has been promoted in this country for the last 30 years has changed us from the lucky country to another globalist, neoliberal, soulless ****hole - don't take my word for it either, have a look at our rankings on the OECD list if you care to.

I'm sure you're a good bloke and difference of opinions is what keeps things interesting, I apologise for being overly aggressive or insulting and want to extend my genuine thanks to you for sharing your beliefs despite my immature and petulant attitude, to quote the wise Corey Parker maybe I need to learn to show some respect - I hope you interpret this as the passion it is instead of the animosity it comes off as.

Namaste or something like that :praying:

With the game continuing behind closed doors the NRL may financially survive via pay tv and chanel 9 income but how can clubs like Manly survive without income from home games. Manly are already struggling hence why we take home games away and Penn's putting in their own money. Estimated 400k loss per game in crowd revenue.

I was much more respectful to elders as a kid in the 70s and 80s.. and I like Greta.

Socrates summed it up between 469 and 399 BC:

QUOTATION:​
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8