Concerts, Gigs, Bands, Music Festivals, Music Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Nutzcraw link said:
COG look like splitting which is a shame.. talented blokes.

Went to Muse on sunday night.... fantastic gig.
Muse are playing Perth on Sunday. Still tickets left. Might grab a couple if the mrs is up for it.

Well I am locked in for a concert called Hard Rock Calling at Hyde Park in June next year, should be a good couple of days

Bon Jovi headlining Saturday night all that is announced so far

Sydney BDO #2 27 Jan (bring a friend for free) = I'll now prob. be going.. Sweeeet.

www.bigdayout.com

Once there, Tool (9:15-10:30pm) & Rammstein (8-9pm) are musts - have resolved to see both of them live ages ago but never able to until now.
I'll also be seeing:
- The Snow Droppers (5:20-6pm) - seen them before @ a pub in Newcastle, great stuff.
- Iggy and the Stooges (7-8pm) - it'll be good to see Iggy live.
Also interested in the Deftones (4:20-5:10pm), and my mate rates Regular John (3:20-4pm).

Not really interested in any others, will probably just allocate times prior & in between those for: Beer, Water, Chill, Sights, Scenery.

Imminent:
BDO2011 Syd#2: JimJonesRevue1:00/Green, RegularJohn3:20/Annandale, Deftones4:20/Orange, Snowdroppers5:20/Annandale, Iggy7:00/Blue, Rammstein8:00/Orange, Tool 9:15/Blue.
RAR!

Sydney (Olympic Park) Big Day Out #2 (Music Festival, Thurs 27 Jan) was great.

Had a few beers in the car en route and a bit in there, but also hit the water pretty hard thankfully.

As we approached the Homebush precinct we were surprised at the lack of traffic – an indication of the lack of crowds for the entire day. After checking out some pics from both days, fair dinkum it looks like the crowds on the #1 show on Jan 26 were about DOUBLE that of the #2 show! Honestly, we hardly lined up for anything the whole day – it was so good to have relatively few crowds!

The gate entry was much more thorough than @ Soundwave last year, with a large police presence (including quite a few police patrolling through much of the grounds quite often through the day), though the entry process about half hour after gates opened went smoothly.

We sorted out our Drinking Age Verified wristbands straight away then checked out the Boiler Room which was pretty funny to see the massive hall so empty. Had a quick dance to the DJ up the end anyway, then carried on exploring.

Had a bit of a browse around many of the stages, areas and food stalls etc., there were a few interesting clothes stalls but nothing, including the official merchandise shirts greatly jumped out at me so didn’t buy any.

Jim Jones Revue were our first gig on the Green Stage @1pm and they were pretty good, after that we relaxed in the main stands as Airborne played on the Blue Stage and that was pretty cool, then went to Regular John on the Annandale Stage who were actually a bit plain & disappointing for mine.

The Deftones on the Orange Stage put in a good performance but unfortunately some of their sound was just pathetic – how the sound techs didn’t recognize the poor sound from the lead guitarist and the lead singer and promptly fix it is beyond me. The moshpit got going pretty well and geez it was hot – rivalling the hot dusty Anthrax moshpit we rocked into @ Soundwave last year. I did manage to snag one of the few drumsticks that drummer Abe Cunningham threw out into the crowd afterwards – stoked.

At 5:20pm The Snowdroppers hit the Annandale Stage and they were great – energetic with various upbeat elements as well as slower blues riffs, a highlight of the day for a smaller band for sure.

By then a cooler weather change had come across western Sydney and geez it made a difference – so refreshing to have a drop of several degrees in temp., and it was now also time to settle into the D-Barrier at the main stages for the big shows of the evening.

We chilled out toward the rear during John Butler Trio who sounded great.
Iggy & The Stooges were pretty cool, it was quite good to see Iggy performing live in the flesh though he sure has a bit of an abused & weird body.

By then, of course, the crew were preparing the Orange stage for Rammstein so we soon manoeuvred ourselves nearby in anticipation of that – they had a huge black sheet/curtain covering the stage while they prepped it so we couldn’t see hardly anything during the lead-up.

Once it was time for them to start loud industrial hissing & a deep rumbling sounds kicked in (and I think the “Ramm.. Stein” chants) - the air was tingling with electric excitement as the curtain dropped to reveal an equally huge German flag still covering the entire stage.
They blasted into their performance with some loud pyrotechnic bangs, dropped the curtain and the crowd really came alive – it was just awesome.
During the first song some of the crowd sorted itself out – i.e. quite a few toward the front bailed out away from the crushing, and some of the more hardcore moshers cleared a moshpit area which I hung around and got into most of the gig.
Feuer Frei was an obvious highlight, mask flamethrowers and all – the classic lead-up keyboard tune wasn’t as distinctive as I expected, but the song itself absolutely went off, as well as the crowd and moshpit!

Rammstein were the epic highlight of the entire day, such is their great show.
They were loud, hard and kicked in some nice pyrotechnics including fireworks from out the back of the stages high into the air.
Very, very stoked to have now ticked them off my list to see live.

Tool were also fantastic, also very loud with many deep, surreal musical riffs and tracks – their video screens showed some really wild and interesting stuff, their laser lights looked great, and it was real good to get into it & chill down a bit after the frantic and high-energy Rammstein.
They didn’t play 46 & 2 (I think?) but did finish off with Stinkfist which was great.

Didn't see any trouble at all, myself, overall a pretty good vibe.

Stoked.

Glad you loved Rammstein. They get played a lot at my place and I thought they would be huge but was worried they don't fit a lot of people's taste.
dein weißes Fleisch wird mein Schafott
in meinem Himmel gibt es keinen Gott

I thought the BDO lineup this year was one of the best ever seen. If only SOAD had turned up!

ManlyBacker link said:
Glad you loved Rammstein. They get played a lot at my place and I thought they would be huge but was worried they don't fit a lot of people's taste.

I thought the BDO lineup this year was one of the best ever seen. If only SOAD had turned up!

Thought it was one of the weakest.

Ant80 link said:
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=182683.msg313819#msg313819 date=1296448730]

Thought it was one of the weakest.
[/quote]

Totally agree with you there Ant, particularly when they decided to do the 2 for 1 deal for the 2nd Syd show cause tickets weren't selling.  I gave it a miss this year.  Only Tool would have been worth seeing but I've seen them before so no big loss.

This is a long shot but has anyone got a spare ticket to see Eddie Vedder in Syd?  I was overseas when they went on sale and didn't realise they would sell out so quickly.  I'm not happy cause I'm a big, big, big Pearl Jam fan.  I'm toying with the idea of driving down to see him in Canberra as there are still tickets available for that show.

Saw Tool last night and as expected they were awesome.  During Lateralus, they had a 3 drumkit solo, with the drummer from the support act bringing his kit out and a third bongo drum set being used too.  The whole thing would have gone for over 5 minutes with the guitar and bass backing it all up.  Was totally off the wall. 

bob dylan link said:
Off to Eddie Vedder in Canberra Tuesday night, cant wait.

How was the concert?  I'll be seeing him on Friday and then Stone Temple Pilots on Sunday.  Should be a big weekend.

Rodo link said:
[quote author=bob dylan link=topic=182683.msg323161#msg323161 date=1300078045]
Off to Eddie Vedder in Canberra Tuesday night, cant wait.

How was the concert?  I'll be seeing him on Friday and then Stone Temple Pilots on Sunday.  Should be a big weekend.
[/quote]

I wish I was you, he was absolutely brilliant, better than I thought possible.

The show is a sit down affair, but between songs (of which he played 26) the bogans in the crowd, and there were plenty of them, kept yelling out requests. It was clearly pissing him off and confusing him. Eventually he told everyone to shut the f**k up, he was playing what he wanted.

It was embarrassing. Do people not know what is expected at the intimate type shows??

He done a great version of Dylans Masters of War, a brilliant One Country by Midnight Oil but to me the highlight was the rarely played Immortality.

Did I mention I was in the 5th row??

I'm spewing

Going to this big music festival thing in the UK, they finally named their headliners for sunday, and it is Rod ****ing Stewart and Stevie Nicks

Have been trying to weasel out of that day but I am fighting a losing battle over that one as she is set on going to this thing for her birthday lol

MACHINE HEAD will be in Australia Sept & Oct 2011! @ Soundwave Revolutions Bris, Syd, Melb, Adel, Perth & prob some of thier own gigs.. MFH!

ssar said:
MACHINE HEAD will be in Australia Sept & Oct 2011! @ Soundwave Revolutions Bris, Syd, Melb, Adel, Perth & prob some of thier own gigs.. MFH!

My first live gig was Machine Head when they did their Through The Ashes Of Empires world tour & I haven't missed one of their Sydney shows since. Best metal band currently out there. I'll be moving heaven & earth to get to this one, they always tear it up no matter what.

Machine F'n Head!

ssar said:
Australia Sept & Oct 2011! @ Soundwave Revolutions Bris, Syd, Melb, Adel, Perth

http://soundwaverevolution.com/
http://www.facebook.com/soundwaverevolution
http://twitter.com/#!/soundwaverev

The Line-up:
Van Halen
Alice Cooper
Bad Religion
Panic! At The Disco
Machine Head
Hole
Danzig
The Used
All Time Low
Sum 41
Alter Bridge
Yellowcard
Thursday
Cro-Mags
The Sisters Of Mercy
Dashboard Confessional
Set Your Goals
Devin Townsend Project
Story Of The Year
The Damned Things
Steel Panther
Gojira
Hatebreed
Four Year Strong
Every Time I Die
Funeral For A Friend
Hellogoodbye
Madina Lake
D.R.U.G.S.
Unearth
Face To Face
Hellyeah
Times of Grace
Reliant K
Whitechapel
VersaEmerge
Zebrahead
Terrible Things
Kevine Devine
The Dangerous Summer
Kvelertak
Hollywood Undead
Skindred
Watain
We Are The Ocean
This Providence
The Pretty Reckless
The Swellers
Make Do and Mend
Black Veil Brides
The Acacia Strain
In This Moment
Street Dogs
Young Guns
We Are The In Crowd
The Word Alive
Holy Grail
Framing Hanley
Attack! Attack! (UK)

Confirmed Dates:
Brisbane – 24th September 2011
Sydney – 25th September 2011
Melbourne – 30th September 2011
Adelaide – 1st October 2011
Perth – 3rd October 2011

Tickets:
Festival Members pre-sale
Tuesday 24 May 9am, Brisbane AEST
Wednesday 25 May 9am, Sydney AEST
Thursday 26 May 9am, Melbourne AEST
Friday 27 May 9am, Adelaide (CST) and Perth (WST)
Through http://www.soundwaverevolution.com

General Public on sale
Thursday 2 June, 9am AEST
Through soundwaverevolution.com, Ticketek and other retailers

steel panther...haha...hair metal is back. :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdqUZGufGj0&feature=fvsr[/i]

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8