Concerts, Gigs, Bands, Music Festivals, Music Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ssar

Bencher
A general discussion thread all things Concerts, Gigs, Bands, Music Festivals, Music news & in general, Reports and Upcoming Announcements etc.

The Pixies @ The Hordern Pavilion, Moore Park Monday night 15th March 2010

"To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the release of their classic 1980 album, Doolittle, Pixies - Black Francis, Kim Deal, Joey Santiago and David Lovering- have embarked on a very special tour - 'The Doolittle Tour' - which arrives in Australia in March 2010.

For the Doolittle Tour, Pixies will perform all of the songs from Doolittle and its related B-sides. Pixies' classics such as 'Debaser', 'Wave Of Mutilation', 'Here Comes Your Man', 'Hey' and 'Gouge Away' are all on Doolittle's track listing.

"We wanted to do something special for Doolittle's 20th anniversary," Black Francis said, "and we thought this was a good opportunity to play all of the songs from that album, something we don't normally do at a regular gig.""
Doolittle track listing:
1. Debaser
2. Tame
3. Wave of Mutilation
4. I Bleed
5. Here Comes Your Man
6. Dead
7. Monkey Gone to Heaven
8. Mr. Grieves
9. Crackity Jones
10. La La Love You
11. No. 13 Baby
12. There Goes My Gun
13. Hey
14. Silver
15. Gouge Away
---

First time I have ever seen them live - Fantastic gig!

I got there around 9pm (they were scheduled to start @ 9:15pm) and was amazed at the massive queues to get into the Hordern – so many people with the same idea as me: Virtually forget the support act(s), just rock up for The Pixies. The queue didn’t take too long anyway, and thankfully the Pixies didn’t start until around 9:25pm.
Eyed off all the shirts / merchandise on the way in and nothing stood out for mine.
Always exciting to wander into the dark auditorium proper in The Hordern, and geez it was pretty packed.

One of the best aspects was the sound – very crisp, nice loud deep bass, their sound engineers & the Hordern’s equipment really worked well together and produced really great sound in all aspects including their voices.

Overall they put on a great show too – with a few years under their belts these days they played & performed pretty much like you would expect them 2 decades ago.

The multimedia aspects were good, and the haunting, surreal lead-up sequences including various video clips on a sheet-screen behind the stage matched with some really good building music with grinding yet ambient elements – very sweet.

Highlights of course were the first 5 tracks off Doolittle, as well as Gouge Away – I was quite close to the stage-right speaker with a fairly good view of the band during much of it and sometimes it was quite mesmerising.
The quality of reproduction of each track was really very good, and geez it was thrilling and enjoyable to listen to such familiar tunes with which we were so familiar during the early 90’s.

They played two encores – and geez the vibe & atmosphere after the main set where everyone could just feel that they were gonna return for an encore was quite amazing, surely the band, roadies and staff were impressed with some of the chanting and stomping!

The first encore included the slow version of Wave of Mutilation which I love, and the second encore started off with the wonderful Velouria which I was SO hoping they would do!

A concert WELL worth it for those who like The Pixies & their Doolittle album, very glad to have gone.

i didnt see that they were playing until it was too late to get a ticket. I was spewing

I'd love to see the Lady Gaga gig.  We havent seen a sheer entertainer/performer of her ilk for a long time. 

Volley link said:
You probably just want her to flop her cock out again.
LOL, people running with that line are very stupid.  Where is she hiding it under all her skin tight and see through gear?

What an annoying twat gaga is. She is obviously bland, so her management team get her to parade around like a freak.

byso link said:
What an annoying twat gaga is. She is obviously bland, so her management team get her to parade around like a freak.
 This statement betrays your age and how out of touch you are.  Don't worry, Spandeau Ballet will hit our shores soon. 

Great review SSAR : I went along and saw the Pixies on the Tuesday night. A brilliant "live" performance by Frank Black and his band. Played all my faves including "Here Comes Your Man" , "Debaser" & "Velouria". I hadn't been to The Hordern for quite some time , but I must say it's a fantastic venue. Saw Faith No More there many years ago & was also there for the 1st few Big Day's Out ( Nirvana being a highlight ).

Great to see some indie bands from the 80's & 90's doing Australian shows. Managed to see Dinosaur Jnr the previous week and also have plans to see a couple of great Kiwi bands in April - namely The Bats & The Chills ( not sure if any of you guys have heard of them ).

I work casually ( 2nd job ) at Sydney Entertainment Centre and got to see Lady Gaga on Weds / Thurs nights. She's an interesting specimen. To me , she comes across as a "male Marilyn Manson". The young girls seem to love her. I must say her "live" show was quite entertaining.

Looking forward to Spandau Ballet / Tears For Fears & Carole King / James Taylor performing at S.E.C - more to my liking.

I don't know why Tears for Fears have lowered themselves to tour with those saps from Spandau Ballet. 

Gettin' amped for Hatebreed & Machine Head @ The Big Top (Syd Luna Park tomorrow night)!
RAR!

Not sure if I'm going to that yet or not, my mate has a ticket for me if I want it. Last time I saw Machine Head there they were pretty disappointing, saw them at the Roundhouse a few years before that and doubt they will outdo that show, Hatebreed I have seen 7 or 8 times so not fussed. Not a fan of the Big Top as a venue either.

Yeah seen both Hatebreed and machine head.... saw machine head supporting Slayer in 01... it was unreal.

Not many bands left I want to see. Tool would be one.

I had a ticket to tool when they were here last time but was so farking sick I could not go.  It is the last of my favourite bands that I need to see. 

Will be waiting a while for Tool I think. One EP and 4 albums in 20 years? Maynard seems occupied with Puscifer at the moment.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8