Cam Smith's "multiple threads- only one declared"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The players union allows for every layer to have a month off at the end of the season when there duties are finished. Its training or playing essentially

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
And hello, the rest of us work 48 weeks of the year and have a month off, AND if lucky we get a tenth of what these guys earn

TWO DOGS

Salesman wanted, must look honest.
jbb/james said:
The players union allows for every layer to have a month off at the end of the season when there duties are finished. Its training or playing essentially

I have a eight chooks and there are a few among them having at least a month off too.

Bradza

Bencher
Tipping Member
Mark from Brisbane said:
And hello, the rest of us work 48 weeks of the year and have a month off, AND if lucky we get a tenth of what these guys earn

or in your case Mark, work 4 weeks and spend the other 48 weeks traveling!

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
To be fair what they do is pretty physically taxing

NFL, arguably as tough as NRL (that is a debate for another day) has a 16 match season over 17 weeks. That is with a squad of 52 players

We have 26 rounds, a couple of byes thrown in, with a squad of 25 players. In addition to this the top top players have rep football thrown in. Considering how the game has speed up and become more brutal there is a serious need to look at the demands on the players - no one likes not having the top players around at the end of the year

But of course (as usual) i am bleeding heart lefty and they should be happy to earn so much "money" for playing a game

Ralphie

Bencher
lsz said:
To be fair what they do is pretty physically taxing

NFL, arguably as tough as NRL (that is a debate for another day) has a 16 match season over 17 weeks. That is with a squad of 52 players

We have 26 rounds, a couple of byes thrown in, with a squad of 25 players. In addition to this the top top players have rep football thrown in. Considering how the game has speed up and become more brutal there is a serious need to look at the demands on the players - no one likes not having the top players around at the end of the year

But of course (as usual) i am bleeding heart lefty and they should be happy to earn so much "money" for playing a game

You, a bleeding heart lefty??? That floors me because I thought you were smart.

mozgrame

Engorged member
Is it ok now for Smith to have a "whinge"? I'd guess so.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-burnout-manly-coach-geoff-toovey-calls-for-review-of-scheduling-and-player-workload/story-e6frf3ru-1227128516079?nk=5c72927325cf92edd41a342aa9107b7d

HoldenV8

Journey Man
I see that Greg Inglis has played a reported 40 hours of rugby league in 2014 (32 games), hence the Vermin have given him a 10 week break.

Most of us humanoids (I'm a fan of Bobby "The Brain" Heenan) work 40 hours every damn week. Sure we don't take the hits that NRL players do, but Inglis isn't exactly someone like Mat Ballin who is making 40+ tackles per game. He's not a prop or second rower taking a couple of hit ups each set.

Compare that to players from 30 or more years ago who played a full season, plus mid-week cup games, rep games where if they were good enough they'd play most of those and still back up for their clubs a few days later. Plus those good enough would play more in a Kangaroo Tour year. Some players would end up playing upwards of 40 games a year (and while being fit, their fitness wasn't what it would be if they played today, nor was the medical attention for injuries there like it is today). All while holding down a full time job.

Players today really have it easy in comparison. Sure, everyone needs a break every now and then, that's natural, but sometimes I think talk about player burnout gets blown out of proportion.

Vyssini

Reserve Grader
HoldenV8 said:
I see that Greg Inglis has played a reported 40 hours of rugby league in 2014 (32 games), hence the Vermin have given him a 10 week break.

Most of us humanoids (I'm a fan of Bobby "The Brain" Heenan) work 40 hours every damn week. Sure we don't take the hits that NRL players do, but Inglis isn't exactly someone like Mat Ballin who is making 40+ tackles per game. He's not a prop or second rower taking a couple of hit ups each set.

Compare that to players from 30 or more years ago who played a full season, plus mid-week cup games, rep games where if they were good enough they'd play most of those and still back up for their clubs a few days later. Plus those good enough would play more in a Kangaroo Tour year. Some players would end up playing upwards of 40 games a year (and while being fit, their fitness wasn't what it would be if they played today, nor was the medical attention for injuries there like it is today). All while holding down a full time job.

Players today really have it easy in comparison. Sure, everyone needs a break every now and then, that's natural, but sometimes I think talk about player burnout gets blown out of proportion.

I have a different recollection to what it was like 30 or even 40 years ago. Firstly fewer teams - 12- saw 22 rounds. The midweek cup saw teams usually play reserve graders until the semi finals at best and there was nowhere near the same intensity in state football- origin wasn't even a series the first few years. Also finals were limited to a top five (they were the days) with again fewer matches.

The only area where I agree with you that top players today have it easier is in regards to lengthy Kangaroo tours.

Bandit

Reserve Grader
Vyssini said:
HoldenV8 said:

I have a different recollection to what it was like 30 or even 40 years ago. Firstly fewer teams - 12- saw 22 rounds. The midweek cup saw teams usually play reserve graders until the semi finals at best and there was nowhere near the same intensity in state football- origin wasn't even a series the first few years. Also finals were limited to a top five (they were the days) with again fewer matches.

The only area where I agree with you that top players today have it easier is in regards to lengthy Kangaroo tours.

30-40 years ago they were paid very little (played for the love of the sport & mateship) and so all those men also worked fulltime jobs through the week.

Today's guys (rightly so) are paid well enough to be professional footballers only. Plus the great medical support - they shouldn't complain too much about burnout, based on number of matches they're being asked to play at the moment, imo. But I wouldn't want the season any longer.

Pablo

Bencher
Only thing that bugs me is the whole "only a ten year career so have to earn big bucks while they can" thing.
It's not like they are unable to do anything other than play football. When they retire they can still work for another 30+ years like the rest of us. We all change jobs/retrain and do different things throughout our working lives why can't they?
Should just be seen as a 10 year period of a 40+ year working life like we all have.

Killer03

Bencher
Being an avid Superman fan I feel like I'm in the bizarro world! Who is Cameron Smith (and the Storm) to be lecturing on tackle technique and tackles that are 'not in the spirit of the game'??? This is the captain of the team that changed the way rugby league was played (for the worse). That has implemented tackling techniques designed only to slow....and hurt players.

What a joke. And why is he not being called on this by the media? Oh that's right it's Cameron Smith....he's beyond reproach.

Imagine Steve Matai came out and said 'I don't think this is in the spirit of the game'....it would be a media free for all.

sheridanstand78

First Grader
When this was mentioned in the Telecrap I left an response alluding to the fact that captain drizzle stands for doing anything it takes to win and as per news limited it was not posted, lol, , there for grappling wrestling is acceptable, remember this is the guy who last year about this team lectured the referee that if you Alex McKinnon had not ducked his head he would not have been hurt after a spear tackle by his team.

A grade grub who to this day is in denial about what the drizzle did in period 2005-2010. I cringe that people see him an immortal!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18