Brendan Elliot

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
2 year deal shows some sort of hope from the recruitment team. Can't say I'm overly familiar with his work, he's not that big so let's hope he is quick.
And Garrick only a 1 year deal - implies Elliott is in front of Garrick for now however they all have the next 3 months to make a mark at training.

Our recruitment team have been diabolical of late. Zero faith in them. Releases to Green / Lussick / Kelly with 0 replacements.
But what do you do? Do you let Green remain unhappy and foster a more toxic environment than what we had? Do you force Kelly to stay at Manly, away from his family, again risk having an unhappy player in the ranks? What we need is to have players that want to play for us and you can't do that if you force players to stay when their head is somewhere else.

But what do you do? Do you let Green remain unhappy and foster a more toxic environment than what we had? Do you force Kelly to stay at Manly, away from his family, again risk having an unhappy player in the ranks? What we need is to have players that want to play for us and you can't do that if you force players to stay when their head is somewhere else.
Ummm, work with the player to help achieve a desired result. See what is unappealing in their demographic / environment and address it.

Surely there are one on ones? There are regular meetings to track a players mindset? Keep players informed about expectations, areas of improvement, etc?

Nothing should come as a surprise. If the club communicates with the players, they'd know intimately a players head space.

That way, we could work through all these players wanting out.

Communication has never been our clubs strong point. With coaches, fans, players, sponsors, 3rd parties.

Ummm, work with the player to help achieve a desired result. See what is unappealing in their demographic / environment and address it.

Surely there are one on ones? There are regular meetings to track a players mindset? Keep players informed about expectations, areas of improvement, etc?

Nothing should come as a surprise. If the club communicates with the players, they'd know intimately a players head space.

Communication has never been our clubs strong point. With coaches, fans, players, sponsors, 3rd parties.
Agree with you that our club could do so much more in terms of communication with all the relevant stakeholders but with Green and Kelly, not entirely sure that it would help. Kelly wants to be closer to his family who live in Ballina and short of moving them all to Manly, there's not much else the club could do.

With Green, it was all about the money. $600k is a lot of money to pay for a 5/8 considering the situation we were in with the cap and with what we're paying our other players. A similar situation came up with Matai and we forced him to stay which ended up being one of the destabilising factors of that era. Not saying that the club couldn't do better because they definitely could and should, but I don't think the club did much wrong with both Kelly & Green. Myles on the other hand, was a ridiculous scenario where we released him to play with the Storm but still ended up footing a part of his salary.

But ,Hopefully on the up and up now.

if I remember correctly he gave us all sorts of trouble in Tooveys last game as coach.
I watched him a bit that year at the roosters (I was made to attend a few roosters games for work).
He could be a smokey. He’s pretty quick and can find the try line. I don’t know what went wrong with his career but he might be one to watch for the other wing position.
Great depth though either way.
Michael Robertson.

He could become the new Wolfman

Ever since I heard about Brendan Elliotts signing and Des coming back to the club, I've imagined Des turning him into a similar type of player to Corey Thompson at the tigers.
Similar build and speed.. Could be the Manly 'Mr Fix it' in our backline.
Des & Don could make him something special if he stays injury free through the off season..

Ever since I heard about Brendan Elliotts signing and Des coming back to the club, I've imagined Des turning him into a similar type of player to Corey Thompson at the tigers.
Des & Don could make him something special if he stays injury free through the off season..
Yeah I’d say he’s a faster version of Astro boy.

Elliott is six foot one...(185cm anyway). Corey Thompson is three or four inches shorter. He’s actually not small, Elliott...and looks pretty fast as well. Tall enough to jump and catch, anyway! If he has half of Thompson’s drive, he’llbe A good player for us.

Elliott is six foot one...(185cm anyway). Corey Thompson is three or four inches shorter. He’s actually not small, Elliott...and looks pretty fast as well. Tall enough to jump and catch, anyway! If he has half of Thompson’s drive, he’llbe A good player for us.

I really noticed that too! I watched that video a few times and wondered if he was as short as people made him out to be. He’s a faster and taller player than Corey Thompson so if Des & Don can get his confidence, focus and motivation firing he could a very handy pick up!

I’m expecting him to go alright.

Solid first graderer with minimal errors that has some pace.

If our centres can play well enough our wingers should go about there business pretty well.

I even think Jorge will have a good season on the other wing.

I really noticed that too! I watched that video a few times and wondered if he was as short as people made him out to be. He’s a faster and taller player than Corey Thompson so if Des & Don can get his confidence, focus and motivation firing he could a very handy pick up!
Elliott definitely has more explosive speed than our last season backs in Parker , Suli and Kelly . Elliott has the pace to finish off a length of the field try. That is a great acquisition to any back line .
Another thing I admire about all those players attitudes that we singed is their DESIRE to prove them selves and want to play for our club . A good attitude does wonders for the club culture .

Elliott definitely has more explosive speed than our last season backs in Parker , Suli and Kelly . Elliott has the pace to finish off a length of the field try. That is a great acquisition to any back line .
Another thing I admire about all those players attitudes that we singed is their DESIRE to prove them selves and want to play for our club . A good attitude does wonders for the club culture .

Next season, the whole 17 selected for round 1 should have the DESire! ; )

MD today

Sea Eagle’s master class

Jon Geddes

image.ashx

Brendan Elliot during Manly training at the Sydney Academy of Sport in Narrabeen yesterday. Picture: Brett Costello

SEA Eagles recruit Brendan Elliot has been receiving expert tuition from two of the club’s best fullbacks as he prepares to replace injured star Tom Trbojevic in the No.1 jumper for Saturday’s season opener against Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval.

Both Trbojevic and Sea Eagles great Brett Stewart have been helping Elliot prepare to fill the big boots of Manly’s attacking ace.

“I have been training at fullback there with Tom since day one of pre-season so I’m feeling pretty confident and ready to go this weekend,” Elliot said.

“He has given me a lot of tips, a lot of pointers.”

Trbojevic has spoken to Elliott about positional play in defence and offence.

“And just with confidence as well, he sort of said just back yourself and things will fall into place,” Elliot said.

And while Elliot was speaking at the club’s Narrabeen headquarters, Trbojevic was 10 metres away, sweating it out as he went through rehab running on his injured hamstring.

Stewart, who earnt the reputation as the Prince of Brookvale during his amazing career as Manly fullback, has also been mentoring Elliott.

“Snake” has returned to his old club this year in a mentoring and ambassadorial role as part of the new regime under coach Des Hasler.

“He pops in every once in a while and he really helps out a lot so to get some great wisdom from him, you can’t buy that sort of thing,” Elliot said. “Obviously he is a legend of the game.”

Stewart also encouraged Elliott to feel confident in the fullback position.

“To back my ability and just to be vocal and loud, and in defence especially demand the boys around the park,” he said.

Elliot can also play on the wing and in the centres, played a bit of fullback with the Knights in 2016-7 and when he was on the Gold Coast last year.

“One of the things Des said to me earlier in the pre-season that he wants me to learn the position of fullback because Tom will be out with rep duties and things like that,” Elliott said. ”He wanted me to nail the fullback role and it just so happens that unfortunately Tom is injured that I can slot in there.

“There is no hesitations with me playing centre or wing either.”

Elliot signed a two-year deal to join the Sea Eagles this season because of the opportunity he saw on the northern beaches.

“I’d spoken to a few boys prior to coming down and they all told me how good a club it was,” the former Roosters, Titans and Knights player said.

And there was another more personal reason for the 25-year-old moving to Manly as he has been in a long distance relationship.

“My partner has been living in Sydney for the past 12 months so that really enticed me to come back to Sydney as well,” he said.

Since linking up with Manly Elliot has appreciated the unique Des Hasler way of doing things.

“He‘s a great coach, he’s definitely the most experienced coach I have had, and that really shows,” Elliot said.

“He’s got a very serious outlook on training and things like that.

“And I think that’s what we need.

“We have been training really hard over the pre-season.

“And I think that is going to put us in a good position for the season ahead.”

Tom helping him with positional play ! Didn’t really need to hear that lol Someone should be teaching Tom.That’s the last piece in the puzzle for him. Superstar otherwise.

Has scored 29 tries in those 40 games Fluffy. You need ability to do that.A few Titans guys I know rate this guys attack but his defence is real iffy. Decent under high ball too apparently. Pretty fragile injury wise.

Saw him make some impressive line breaks with the Roosters and even to get a look in to their side in the last few years suggests he can play. He’s probably going to be playing a lot of first grade with Walker out ( be contesting a centre spot with Parker ) so we need more than just a fill in standard.

Probably in the same category as Elgey. Fix the defensive issues and they could be quality first graders.

Tom helping him with positional play ! Didn’t really need to hear that lol Someone should be teaching Tom.That’s the last piece in the puzzle for him. Superstar otherwise.

Has scored 29 tries in those 40 games Fluffy. You need ability to do that.A few Titans guys I know rate this guys attack but his defence is real iffy. Decent under high ball too apparently. Pretty fragile injury wise.

Saw him make some impressive line breaks with the Roosters and even to get a look in to their side in the last few years suggests he can play. He’s probably going to be playing a lot of first grade with Walker out ( be contesting a centre spot with Parker ) so we need more than just a fill in standard.

Probably in the same category as Elgey. Fix the defensive issues and they could be quality first graders.

Pretty similar thoughts from my roosters acquaintances, can finish but defense is poor.

I think he will fill M Wrights shoes and be a good first drop but don't see him being the superstar some seem to think. Which is pretty much what his career has been so far.

• 🤝
Reactions: Sue
I think what you can't underestimate is the fact that Des is the first experienced coach that Elliot has played under. Before that he played at the Roosters when Robinson was in his first few years as a coach, then up to the Newcastle with Brown and then played a handful of games for Brennan last year with the Titans. This year he's had a full off season training at fullback with Des, and has also been mentored by Brett Stewart. I am quite optimistic about how he will perform on Saturday. He looked good in the trials, I think he will surprise a few people

I thought he looked pretty good in attack last night chiming into the backline. It was if he had an extra yard of pace and coming into those sweeping plays looking fast.

He sure was unlucky to have that try disallowed also as I thought it was a try.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8