Board meeting results, Mayer moving on

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SilentBob

Bencher
Future in doubt as Manly Sea Eagles go to war

Exclusive by Dean Ritchie

February 13, 2009 12:00am

MANLY's long-term future was sensationally thrown into disarray last night after a board meeting where the two owners clashed heatedly and chief executive Grant Mayer announced he would resign.

The Daily Telegraph understands Mayer was pushed into quitting after the board voted 5-2 against re-appointing him for a further two years. He will leave at the end of this year.

But drama flared after the meeting when co-owner and chairman Scott Penn accused second co-owner Max Delmege of failing to pay the hundreds of thousands of dollars owed to the club in sponsorship and equity.

In an amazing revelation, Penn could not guarantee Manly's future.

Mayer had the support of Penn but could not convince Delmege he deserved to stay on beyond this season.

The Daily Telegraph understands Mayer and Delmege have been at loggerheads for more than six months. The relationship between Penn and Delmege has deteriorated to the point of no-return.

"This board is totally dysfunctional at the moment," Penn said. "This place is in jeopardy. Absolutely it is at risk.

"There are four parties on the board - the Penns, the Delmeges, the football club and the Leagues Club.

"We (the Penns) are the only ones putting money in. We will be doing everything we can to stop this place falling over. But I can't guarantee that.

"Max Delmege hasn't put in any money for a long time. He's painting this picture but he's not meeting his obligations.

"He still owes the club for sponsorship and equity."

Penn said the club was teetering on the brink - despite being the reigning premiers.

"If Max can't stump up then he shouldn't be at the table," Penn said. "He's not contributing at the table. How is that fair?"

Asked was his club in crisis, Penn said: "Absolutely."

"We are waiting for hundreds of thousands of dollars to be paid. Max has promised everything but delivered nothing.

"Grant Mayer was ambushed - the victim of external politics."

A furious Delmege last night fired back at Penn's accusations.

"We have put in $12.75 million to Manly, he has put in $2.175 million," Delmege, who was not at last night's meeting, said.

"I am very disappointed with his comments. My intention has always been to save Manly. That has been proven by the amount of money I have put in."

Asked why Mayer quit, Delmege said: "We asked him for a three-year business plan and it didn't happen. Then he spat the dummy and resigned."

Mayer last night denied he quit.

"I haven't resigned. I simply haven't sought a contract extension," Mayer said.

"There are a number of issues that need to be resolved and I felt my action may help with a number of those problems.

"I'm not sure where Max is coming from (in claiming he spat the dummy) as he was not present at the meeting."

Manly hope Mayer will stay on for the year before leaving the club after September.

Mayer privately claimed he had no choice but to resign - the victim of club politics.

The drama will shock players and officials, who found Mayer a progressive CEO who helped mastermind the club's historic 40-0 win over Melbourne in last year's grand final.

THE SO-CALLED BOARD MEMBERS, Mayer, Delmege and Penn need to front the Media ASAP to either confirm or deny all this, as it could seriously disrupt 2009 before it starts

sorry i dont doubt this at all
i know its the telegraph but u have to look at who wrote the article

Richie is pro manly he lives in the area and is a manly fan.

Grant Mayer leaving is a massive loss for the club.

Whilst the magnitude of the whole Grant Mayer situation should not be underestimated, does anyone have any idea about what happened with Dessy's contract extension?

Weren't they both being decided last night...

I'd say that's a gimme Scuba...well - I hope so. Who knows what the school kids did last night?

Well in one stroke of the pen our chances of going back to back have been dealt a massive blow.  The Vote against Grant was 5 to 2, interesting that the football club board nominees voted against his retention.  Obviously some of the deadwood within the football club are still are grinding their axes.

The whole thing is politics gone wrong.

Such a shame and will be interesting to see the reactions over on the official site.

The Wheel link said:
Well in one stroke of the pen our chances of going back to back have been dealt a massive blow.  The Vote against Grant was 5 to 2, interesting that the football club board nominees voted against his retention.  Obviously some of the deadwood within the football club are still are grinding their axes.
absoultely
i think there needs to be an extrordinary meeting of the football club
so the two elected members from the football club who sit on the board can explain their actions to the people who put them there.

Cliffy Gc link said:
Richie is pro manly he lives in the area and is a manly fan.

Far from it mate, Ritchie lives in the area but he's not a Manly fan at all. He grew up despising the club despite living on the beaches.

This is really not looking good at all. Losing Mayer (well, firing him) is not a good look at all. He's done tremendous things for Manly.

Cliffy Gc link said:
[quote author=The Wheel link=topic=179141.msg206778#msg206778 date=1234471818]
absoultely
i think there needs to be an extrordinary meeting of the football club
so the two elected members from the football club who sit on the board can explain their actions to the people who put them there.

[/quote]

Cliffy the football club meetings & the voting is generally nothing better than a kangeroo court, the political cretans on board (with exception of 1/2) have the voting stacked to ensure that they still retain the match day free tickets and entry to the Jim Beam so they can get free beer & hot dogs.

Their contribution of late has been ZERO to the team & fans - I would love a ground swell movement from the remaining football club members to get rid of this mob.

This sounds very similar to Monasgate!

Delmege has done a lot for the club but he has always been one of the "old boys" to an extent. Penn and Mayer are not old boys and never were, they have made a lot of pro business changes to the club, and this could really be the end of our mighty Eagles.

Delmege and the club cronies may have sealed their own fate here, either by pushing us to the brink, or by forcing their hand at putting more money into the club.

No wonder we struggled to attract major sponsors

Delmege has always been heavily into commercial property and arranges syndicates of people to invest in commercial properties with him.  He makes money from his investment share plus he collects the management fees for the property. 

Could it be that his money pot has run dry.  Commercial property is struggling at the moment and will get much worse in the near future.  Not the area to be involved in.

$12.75 m is a lot but does this include the money that he paid to purchase the football club premises at Brookvale?

I think a lot of people who have purchased season tickets would feel pretty pissed off at this thinking if they knew this S**t was going to happen they probably wouldn't have purchased their tickets. 

If the club in in turmoil off the park then there is little hope on it.  Just ask Norths supporters.

Who are these three faceless men, (apart from Penn and Delmege)?  How does one get on the football club membership?  
I wonder if Maxy boy has the readies to put in anymore, given the problems of the financial world.  Please don't even think about the Central Coast.  

This is not good at all.  How many times have we seen board room disputes and in-fighting affect the results on the playing field.  

However, I am sure there is a lot we don't know as to why there was a 5-2 vote against Mayer and I think in time it will come out.  For me, it appears he has been instrumental when looking at the club performance and growth since he has been on board.

Also, I would not be surprised if Max hasn't put in over the past few months as I know for a fact he is feeling the financial crisis quite badly.  It is no excuse to say he has put in $12.75m in the past to save the club, he made commitments to 2008 and must meet them end of story.

DSM5 link said:
Who are these three faceless men, (apart from Penn and Delmege)?  How does one get on the football club membership?  

I am willing to state it is the same grubs that sent the disgraceful letter last year out to members - should I name them.  One has a trusty steed........

I refer to the other thread where I said don't count your chickens.

The stupid old soaks that form a part of the Board are going to tear the club apart.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7