Future in doubt as Manly Sea Eagles go to war Exclusive by Dean Ritchie February 13, 2009 12:00am MANLY's long-term future was sensationally thrown into disarray last night after a board meeting where the two owners clashed heatedly and chief executive Grant Mayer announced he would resign. The Daily Telegraph understands Mayer was pushed into quitting after the board voted 5-2 against re-appointing him for a further two years. He will leave at the end of this year. But drama flared after the meeting when co-owner and chairman Scott Penn accused second co-owner Max Delmege of failing to pay the hundreds of thousands of dollars owed to the club in sponsorship and equity. In an amazing revelation, Penn could not guarantee Manly's future. Mayer had the support of Penn but could not convince Delmege he deserved to stay on beyond this season. The Daily Telegraph understands Mayer and Delmege have been at loggerheads for more than six months. The relationship between Penn and Delmege has deteriorated to the point of no-return. "This board is totally dysfunctional at the moment," Penn said. "This place is in jeopardy. Absolutely it is at risk. "There are four parties on the board - the Penns, the Delmeges, the football club and the Leagues Club. "We (the Penns) are the only ones putting money in. We will be doing everything we can to stop this place falling over. But I can't guarantee that. "Max Delmege hasn't put in any money for a long time. He's painting this picture but he's not meeting his obligations. "He still owes the club for sponsorship and equity." Penn said the club was teetering on the brink - despite being the reigning premiers. "If Max can't stump up then he shouldn't be at the table," Penn said. "He's not contributing at the table. How is that fair?" Asked was his club in crisis, Penn said: "Absolutely." "We are waiting for hundreds of thousands of dollars to be paid. Max has promised everything but delivered nothing. "Grant Mayer was ambushed - the victim of external politics." A furious Delmege last night fired back at Penn's accusations. "We have put in $12.75 million to Manly, he has put in $2.175 million," Delmege, who was not at last night's meeting, said. "I am very disappointed with his comments. My intention has always been to save Manly. That has been proven by the amount of money I have put in." Asked why Mayer quit, Delmege said: "We asked him for a three-year business plan and it didn't happen. Then he spat the dummy and resigned." Mayer last night denied he quit. "I haven't resigned. I simply haven't sought a contract extension," Mayer said. "There are a number of issues that need to be resolved and I felt my action may help with a number of those problems. "I'm not sure where Max is coming from (in claiming he spat the dummy) as he was not present at the meeting." Manly hope Mayer will stay on for the year before leaving the club after September. Mayer privately claimed he had no choice but to resign - the victim of club politics. The drama will shock players and officials, who found Mayer a progressive CEO who helped mastermind the club's historic 40-0 win over Melbourne in last year's grand final.