Ben Hunt article claiming game is too fast

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Interesting read here.. according to hunt anyone you ask thinks the game is too fast. I agree!

Hmm just as I said when the players and the Doctors start saying the game is to blame for the injuries and then the Players Association gets on board the game will swing back more to the "old" game. It will never go back to what it was. But this action at all times tiggy game will be adjusted yet again on the run by Vlandys and again clubs will have to adjust and work with their rosters and work out exactly how the changes impact their game style and playing roster. How rules and a game can be changed massively with no warning ala 2020 and then the tweaks in season last year, then more changes this year and now an 18th man mid season is beyond me. To me.... rules need to be set in stone for the next year by say June the previous year so clubs can plan properly. This business of making it up as you go is a joke and you can be sure that Politis/Crowe are in their ears making sure whatever changes happen their coaches like. You can't tell me that the Sombrero clubs don't get consulted on big things like these. The change to the game for 2020 should have had a year/two year lead in to allow clubs to change rosters... the change from the old to the new game was so massive. Our strangle/grindstone game plan and our roster based on that caught us flat footed.

An interesting read about the actual stats

Basically faster should not be the measure. More is happening in a quick period, players are more tired, there are more errors and lazy tackles and more injuries

Basically faster should not be the measure. More is happening in a quick period, players are more tired, there are more errors and lazy tackles and more injuries
Great read!! Thanks for posting, good to see some numbers to back up/argue the claims by the NRL.

Great read!! Thanks for posting, good to see some numbers to back up/argue the claims by the NRL.
Agree a great read.

I think if the trend line stays the same the TV ratings will start to drop off for the games where there’s a red hot favourite.

Oh sure , the Panthers v Storm will always rate highly but for example the upcoming Panthers v Manly could be a ratings disaster.

TV pays huge money for eyes or subscriptions , if they are losing both they’ll want to pay a LOT less for the product next time.

Interesting article, I don't claim to understand the stats analysis but the conclusions are that the rule changes have encouraged blowout wins and the results are actually more predictable, contrary to the NRL's new slogan.

My gripe is PV didn't do any due diligence he just made a captain's call and now he is saying he didn't anticipate the blow out scores. There is also a question of duty of care changing rules mid stream that exposes players to a greater risk of injury. This started with trying out outlaw the wrestle and became an avalanche with the six again rule right across the field. This is the NRL not the A grade Wollongong comp!

Last edited:
Agree a great read.

I think if the trend line stays the same the TV ratings will start to drop off for the games where there’s a red hot favourite.

Oh sure , the Panthers v Storm will always rate highly but for example the upcoming Panthers v Manly could be a ratings disaster.

TV pays huge money for eyes or subscriptions , if they are losing both they’ll want to pay a LOT less for the product next time.
Yep, time will tell if the long term reality of the new rules will be a ratings success or not.

It definitely favours those teams that have the best athletes but the best footballers aren't always the fastest and if you need the fastest and powerful players to be the best you'll never find enough to make 16/17 teams competitive..3-4 would be lucky. But more to the point you sacrifice footy smarts/skill for speed/power.

Probably a sign of the times where things like big bash cricket is what appeals to the goldfish attention span of the viewers that need action for every second of the game.

Agree a great read.

Speed thrills

Lights camera NRL action . Its try Time on Prime time

Tries , Tries , Tries , Tries , Tries and more Tries !

Non stop action

The higher the amount of tries the higher the ratings

They tried this crap with Superleague. Glorified touch footy. Dump and run against backpedalling defences, try and slow them down, ring the bell "6 again".......repeat.
There is no place in the game for slow , unfit and ill discipline players

The 6 again and again and again means we will soon not see these mediocre players again

Speed thrills !

Speed thrills

Lights camera NRL action . Its try Time on Prime time

Tries , Tries , Tries , Tries , Tries and more Tries !

Non stop action

The higher the amount of tries the higher the ratings

I disagree on more tries equals better ratings. If teams get flogged every week and you support one of those teams that got flogged constantly would you play to watch the game? Buy merchandise? Or even tune in to watch your team on TV?
NRL have a tough decision if money isn't being made.

I disagree on more tries equals better ratings. If teams get flogged every week and you support one of those teams that got flogged constantly would you play to watch the game? Buy merchandise? Or even tune in to watch your team on TV?
NRL have a tough decision if money isn't being made.
If teams get flogged each week they should change their mediocre coaches and mediocre players with better ones

I do not believe in slowing the game to accommodate mediocre teams and slow down to their mediocre lever

Speed Thrills !

There is no place in the game for slow , unfit and ill discipline players

The 6 again and again and again means we will soon not see these mediocre players again

Speed thrills !
I agree seeing tries is exciting but so is the "grind"! If I wanted to watch touch or tag footy for the "lots of tries" reasoning, maybe I would but NRL should be a mix of both grind football and open play when it affords that.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12