Ben Hunt article claiming game is too fast

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Look i like @BOZO but he has a habit of just glossing over things that may have an impact on his stance

He doesnt like to cloud his issue with facts

I think he likes his posts to be speedy and absorbing the information only slows that process down

Speed kills so reading rebuttles are pointless. As are forwards and fat kids who have an eye on playing footy.
I like you too and every one on this forum feathered friend

I also like the fast game :)

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Nobody in the NRL is unfit. The games evolution has determined different types of players have been required to compete. The game through its rules and policies determines the type of player required today, tomorrow , next year and next decade and the outcome of its own product . Currently its product sucks and it will reflect that

Producing the athletes for the product it sells is something the NRL has done very poorly for a sustained period. Its as if no one at NRL consults with eachother on the long vision. This is there future, investment in players and junior systems. Should the under 14 just suddenly dump all the fat kids as they have no future

Blaming clubs and players for a lack of vision is deflecting the blame and subsequently acknowledging the poor vision as being a masterstroke.

The only thing moving faster that papenhauzen are the rules themself , and the goalposts on competing

The talk of changing origin rules to allow anyone to play is yet another deflection. Ratings are slipping due to the governing body manipulating the game and fans are turning away , not because a few players are not eligible. These days the contest of the gane is decided long before players take the field through cap policies, judiciary, referees and bending of rules, not to mention rules and of course rule interpretation . Then referee appointments , offside interpretations etc etc , but that wont come under scrutiny , it must be something else

If you support the company line, designed to do nothing but to deflect, and to line the pockets of tv execs short term , you are part of the games problem

We have always had speed in the game. Its not new. Besides not everyone gets there kicks on route 66. Different stokes for different blokes . Women too

Its called passion for the game @BOZO if i may quote you because if you let the dodgy brothers take control by giving them credit, we may not have a manly or your famous membership drives.
Nailed it my old mate !!

Tomay

Bencher
Non-urgent (ie not relating to player safety) rules changes should only occur with 2 seasons advance notice to allow for teams to plan for the impact of those changes properly.

During the first season they should be trialled at NSW Cup level if appropriate.

It’s a sport that has been played for a long time, they shouldn’t be mucking around with it like they are now to change it into an artificial entertainment product that will lose its shine as quickly as Ninja Warrior, Gladiators and Big Bash.

The administrators need to be proactive instead of reactive for the first time in a long time.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
PV has messed with the fabric of the game without consulting the coaches, players and supporters of the game. Without us watching the broadcasters wont touch them.
Your last sentence here is by far the most important.

It’s my belief this situation the game sees itself in is doomed for failure.

The reason for that is simple , less eyes on the games that quite obviously going to be a blowout.

Eyes on games is EVERYTHING to TV, either FTA with the advertising or Foxtel with subscriptions ( I don’t have it but I assume Kayo has advertising??) and with this declining the value of the game will depreciate not increase.

The TV guys will go in hardball with stats and reduce the payments.

Blind Freddy can see it happening.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
The new fast game played by competent teams has brought the game to an all time high standard of speed and resilience

In the end the game finished at 12 points to 10 and was won in the thrilling final minute of the game

commentator....
*What a game , this game is from another planet *

Congratulations NRL for lifting the game to its highest standards

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Your last sentence here is by far the most important.

It’s my belief this situation the game sees itself in is doomed for failure.

The reason for that is simple , less eyes on the games that quite obviously going to be a blowout.

Eyes on games is EVERYTHING to TV, either FTA with the advertising or Foxtel with subscriptions ( I don’t have it but I assume Kayo has advertising??) and with this declining the value of the game will depreciate not increase.

The TV guys will go in hardball with stats and reduce the payments.

Blind Freddy can see it happening.
I agree! The problems the game needed to address were first, that the wrestle had made the game too boring, and second, the problem of subconcussive head traumas.

The pandemic produced an emergency that Vlandys, not one to sit on his hands, used as an opportunity for change. The idea of a faster game with less gang tackling, players getting more fatigued and opening up some space for smaller nippy players, sounds fine in theory, but there have been unforeseen negative consequences.

But sudden, untested and fundamental changes will obviously need fine-tuning so we can expect more changes to come.

It would be nice to think at some point the game will achieve some sort of stability because I'm a pretty keen fan these days but have almost zero interest in watching games that I know in advance are likely to be blow-outs.

robbiea

First Grader
Tipping Member
Photobucket GIF
south park beat a dead horse GIF

+
I Dont Get It Over My Head GIF by Lil Jon
=
over it head through a wall GIF

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I agree! The problems the game needed to address were first, that the wrestle had made the game too boring, and second, the problem of subconcussive head traumas.

The pandemic produced an emergency that Vlandys, not one to sit on his hands, used as an opportunity for change. The idea of a faster game with less gang tackling, players getting more fatigued and opening up some space for smaller nippy players, sounds fine in theory, but there have been unforeseen negative consequences.

But sudden, untested and fundamental changes will obviously need fine-tuning so we can expect more changes to come.

It would be nice to think at some point the game will achieve some sort of stability because I'm a pretty keen fan these days but have almost zero interest in watching games that I know in advance are likely to be blow-outs.
For example , the NRL’s “ golden children “ the Bunnies and the Storm play this weekend.

Ones a $1.05 favourite, the other a $9 roughie, and those figures are likely to come in ( and go out for the other ).

You just know it’s going to be an absolute flogging , 50 plus highly likely.

I’m surrounded here by Donkey fans , none I know are going to bother watching, all are FTA viewers.

This will have an impact, not immediately, but if hundreds of thousands turn off you just know it will long term.

There always has to be a spooner and often there’s a couple of contenders for it and blow out games aren’t new, HOWEVER, if every weekend we are going to see 2,3 or even 4 games with huge one sided scores then it means the game is seriously , no very seriously , broken.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Of PVL's supposed great short notice rule changes, as far as I'm concerned, the only thing he did right was to get rid of the second referee. Set restarts are a blight on the game and they need to be removed from the game. The Set Restart rule is having the same bad effect that the previous unlimited tackle count had on the game prior to 1966.

Here is a history of the tackle count that I found off Wikipedia - Laws of rugby league
(the 2019 change was not mentioned on Wikipedia)

Previous to 1966 - Unlimited Tackle Count was the rule.

1966 - United Kingdom RFL Implemented: 1966–67 Northern Rugby Football League season.
  • A four-tackle rule was introduced in December 1966. The rule ended unlimited tackles, a by-product from the introduction of the play-the-ball in 1906. The sport's administrators were concerned that teams were becoming obsessed with retaining possession, as it was possible to keep the ball for long periods, to the detriment of the game being an exciting spectacle. A match between Hull Kingston Rovers and Huddersfield was a catalyst for this significant change; after Huddersfield kicked off, they were only able to touch the ball twice during the whole of the first half of the game. Rugby Football League secretary Bill Fallowfield devised and proposed the four-tackle rule with Australian authorities supporting the change as they were experiencing similar concerns for the game in Australia and wanted to improve the game's flow and pace. The change had a significant impact on the style of play and helped to create a product suited to television. Amended: RFL, 1972.

1967 - Australia NSWRFL Implemented: 1967 NSWRFL season.
  • The four-tackle rule was introduced to replace unlimited tackles. Amended: NSWRFL, 1971.

1971 - Australia NSWRFL Implemented: 1971 NSWRFL season.
  • The six-tackle rule was introduced, replacing the four-tackle rule.

1972 - United Kingdom RFL Implemented: 1972–73 Northern Rugby Football League season.
  • The six-tackle rule was introduced for the 1972–73 season with the aim of alleviating the "disjointed" play experienced with the four-tackle rule.

1997 - Australia ARL Implemented: 1997 ARL season.
  • The zero tackle rule was introduced. Defending teams were given an extra tackle when they received the ball if their player ran it back rather than allowing the ball to leave play if, for example, the attacking team kicked the ball. This was an attempt to reward positive play and break the cycle of teams taking turns to have six tackles. Adopted: NRL, 1998.

1998 - Australia New Zealand NRL Implemented: 1998 NRL season.
  • The Zero tackle was adopted for the unified competition.

2019 - Australia New Zealand NRL Implemented: 2019 NRL season.
  • The Set Restart tackle count rule was introduced to speed up the game.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16