Battle of Hastings 1066 Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Should Hastings be given a go as a starting half in the NRL side?

• Total voters
Paul Kent in Saturday's telegraph is talking about leadership and says Manlys members and financial backers deserve the real story in the Hastings v DCE issue.
Not the coverup that is making things worse.

He is 100% right.

Paul Kent in Saturday's telegraph is talking about leadership and says Manlys members and financial backers deserve the real story in the Hastings v DCE issue.
Not the coverup that is making things worse.

He is 100% right.
Penn's money and he is fully aware of what the issues are.:nod:

Members are never considered in roster management :shake:

Kent just wants to keep a storyline going to sell papers :cool:

Well the 2000 side which is our current worst contained much better players. Menzies, Toovey, Orford. Gartner. Kosef, Taylor, Muir.

Also the 1980 side which flopped after adding Boyd,Brown and Dorahy to a roster that already contained a dozen international plus the Blake brothers.

It's interesting that coaching was the issue with both those sides from the past, not so much the roster.

Phil Blake will be posting any minute protesting he didn't join Manly until 1982 and wont take the wrap for 1980 !! .....he was probably still in year 10 and brother Michael didn't play a game in 1980. But I take your point.

1989 was my biggest comparable flop year - 1 years and a bit off a premiership and were gone by about Round 8 too. Much like this year to be honest , and the feeling was similar around the camp. Doug Daley walked into the dressing room after a loss with steam coming from his ears and said ïf any one of you bleeps don't want to be here walk into my office Monday and I'll let you go" ...sure enough Dale Shearer did and ended up leaving and it kind of back fired. Vautin was punted soon after. I'd like to think ultimatums are not far away now, but it's a different era now.

Hastings would be an improvement on Crocker, but wouldn't stop the losses from piling up.

Hastings cant hold the ball for Martys hit ups, push jetski into shoulder tackling, catch Uates bombs, stop tries scored between turbos legs, or stop dce's current brain explosion form.

Hastings can back up for 2nd phase play (non existent at the moment), he can provide a decent kicking alternative, and he can gee up the boys all game.

In the end he will be better, but there are a lot more elephants in the room than Jacko

Hastings would be an improvement on Crocker, but wouldn't stop the losses from piling up.

Hastings cant hold the ball for Martys hit ups, push jetski into shoulder tackling, catch Uates bombs, stop tries scored between turbos legs, or stop dce's current brain explosion form.

Hastings can back up for 2nd phase play (non existent at the moment), he can provide a decent kicking alternative, and he can gee up the boys all game.

In the end he will be better, but there are a lot more elephants in the room than Jacko
He may not be able to stop them, but I see Hastings a bit like Keary from the Roosters. They're angry ants who expect the best from their team mates, and they don't give a flying fuuck who it is that's cops the spray. I saw Keary give Dylan Napa an earful at one stage. They're not going to be in the 'in' crowd in the team, but they live and breathe footy so I don't think they give a fuuck about those issues. Toovey never took a backward step if it meant giving the forwards a spray behind the posts.

Phil Blake will be posting any minute protesting he didn't join Manly until 1982 and wont take the wrap for 1980 !! .....he was probably still in year 10 and brother Michael didn't play a game in 1980. But I take your point.

1989 was my biggest comparable flop year - 1 years and a bit off a premiership and were gone by about Round 8 too. Much like this year to be honest , and the feeling was similar around the camp. Doug Daley walked into the dressing room after a loss with steam coming from his ears and said ïf any one of you bleeps don't want to be here walk into my office Monday and I'll let you go" ...sure enough Dale Shearer did and ended up leaving and it kind of back fired. Vautin was punted soon after. I'd like to think ultimatums are not far away now, but it's a different era now.

And from what Dale Shearer said a few weeks ago on FB.....he's regretted leaving Manly ever since. He said he should never have left.

I wonder what it would have been like had Rowdy stayed? Ridge coming in at fullback in 1990 would likely have seen Snoz and Rowdy as our centres. Or at worst Snoz and Williams with Rowdy on the wing. That would have been one very potent backline and with Cliffy, Tooves and Des running the show.....it could have been a golden era for us.

DCE has go no idea how to build pressure. He's an off the cuff pivot that needs to play 2nd fiddle to an organiser. Everyone can see this, why can't Baz.
I guess for the same reason that he couldn't see that Walker was NEVER a 5/8 or that Hastings is a better 5/8 than Croker. If keyboard nuffies like me can see that, why the hell can't he?

He may not be able to stop them, but I see Hastings a bit like Keary from the Roosters. They're angry ants who expect the best from their team mates, and they don't give a flying fuuck who it is that's cops the spray. I saw Keary give Dylan Napa an earful at one stage. They're not going to be in the 'in' crowd in the team, but they live and breathe footy so I don't think they give a fuuck about those issues. Toovey never took a backward step if it meant giving the forwards a spray behind the posts.

From what I have seen Jake and T do that enough already. Another barking dog won't stop Perret putting his hands on the ball in the ruck.

The decision to remove Hastings from the squad is a short-sighted one!! The team badly needs an organizer who can get the basics done and allow DCE to create, right now its easy to defend against Manly, the world knows that all the playmaking is DCE. What frustrates me is that our one genuine weapon, Tommy Turbo is idle, not being used and if he had a half who could distribute and get Tommy running onto the ball, we would be a much more potent outfit.

The coach needs to swallow his pride and get Hastings back into the squad before this current crisis becomes terminal for this coach!!

Using that theory Happily no player in lower grades could press his claim. All you can do is play the team in front of you and impress.

All the discussion re Jackson’s ability misses the point totally .Some think he is a real talent, I think he is just adequate BUT I do know this - he is the best option WE have and has been since round 1. How good he is is totally irrelevant. If he is best at our club in a certain position means he plays. It is that simple.

He passes and kicks ok,gets a team around the park and importantly backs up. The other bloke just tackled. He is better than Croker. How good he actually is doesn’t matter if he is better and our only option. Pick him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8