Battle of Hastings 1066 Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Should Hastings be given a go as a starting half in the NRL side?

• Total voters
100% correct and why is a lowlife like Phil "I'll take your money Eddy" Rothfield a respected judge of a person's character. Do your time in the game, earn your respect and then, maybe then, you can start throwing your weight around at your respective club, but it won't happen at 22 years of age !

If it was based on merit and not personality, Hastings is a shoe in for 5/8 next to DCE instead of Croker.. It seems instead that TBaz is content to coach like "Dexter" in the Perfect Match.

perfect_match (2).jpg

What's important to note about Blacktown's win today was that six of the seven tries were scored by the backs. That means that the halves, Hastings and Lussick, were getting the ball out to their talented backline Suli, T. Wright, Anderson and Tuha, something that isnt happening this year in firsts. Tom Wright played in the centres, finally. The backs apparently had a field day, to excuse the pun

So Hastings' career is in tatters.
DCE fined ( and of course now guilty of something in the public perception).
Coach speaks on behalf of the playing group and then has players contradict the coach on the issue.
Players presumably have given evidence to the club re DCEs involvement (Lane, etc)

I think the only winner out of this absolute shambles is young Croker.
And unless someone cracks the whip and has enough control to make sure these blokes are focused and united , the other winners will be the slime and anyone else we play in coming weeks.
And it starts at the top.

Sorry but i am totally over this rabble of a club. I have backed them for years with my coin, bought their clothes and now I have been given a load of **** from players and management.
Manly is not MANLY anymore. I give up.

Ha ha, you never let up with your whiney diatribe against Jacko. It seems you backed the wrong horse and are still talking through your kick. A better response would be to promote inclusion and tolerance in a club that clearly lacks professional leadership. DCE is a champ, but he ****ed up and is now being held to account. The wipper snapper has had the last laugh because he has not been afforded a “fair go” in realising his potential. He is clearly a superior player than Croker, yet he was put in a queue behind him before a ball was even kicked in anger. Can you really blame this bloke for sticking to his guns? Just the type of attitude we require in the first grade team

But why was he placed behind Croker in the pecking order?

Given TB stated he has had numerous reported incidents over 12 months, this is clearly not a situation that arose in the offseason.

Hasn't it also been stated that there have been issues with multiple players, not just DCE?

Christ even some of our own supporters are happy to hang the captain of the club, out to dry, and back a bloke with a very chequered past and reported issues.

WTF??

I am certainly not saying that DCE is not without some fault. He has obviously made some error(s) in judgement.

But the vendetta against the bloke (even from within) is getting really tired.

With Pierce looking at a minimum 3 months on the side lines, could Jacko become a Knight?

I'd imagine they will hang their hat on Lamb, Watson and the current 6 (whose name escapes me).

If the issues with Hastings and his time at the Chooks mirrored his time here, I can't imagine Pearce, Watson, Guerra and Kenny Dick Fingers giving Mr Hastings a glowing endorsement to Nathan Brown.......

• 🤝
Reactions: Ned
Jacko’s mates Buzz, Moley and Reading the Play are talking him up big time on Twitter tonight.

No doubt the kids got some talent but FMD he’s not the messiah!

And apparently Lussick and his Dad almost came to blows with Barrett at training before he was granted a release to Toronto over not being picked.

It sounding like there’s been some very precious tantrums happening about who gets picked and who doesn’t!!

Jacko’s mates Buzz, Moley and Reading the Play are talking him up big time on Twitter tonight.

And apparently Lussick and his Dad almost came to blows with Barrett at training before he was granted a release to Toronto over not being picked.

It sounding like there’s been some very precious tantrums happening about who gets picked and who doesn’t!!

It's this sense of entitlement that has been right throughout the club for a number of years , right from the penns and Bozo right down to the players, no one wants to take responsibility of this mess we are in , everyone is trying to save there own face.

DL glad you are gone if you feel you need to get up in the coaches face to press your case for selection then I am glad you are not playing for us at the moment.

I have said this many times and I will stick with it until we see Bozo, Sausage roll man and the Penn's leave this joint we are going to continue to be basket case and the laughing stock of the NRL.. just too much self interest happening right now.

Rothfield’s interview from the Tele. Leaves me thinking his time at Manlymay not be completely done potentially.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/6e4962c8d286e7ae5796f590d0dd6915

HE’s been branded the most unpopular man in rugby league, an outcast at the two NRL clubs he has played for and currently exiled from the Manly Sea Eagles.

Jackson Hastings has sought psychological help.

“It’s about trying to make myself a better bloke to fit into a team environment,” the 22-year-old says in an exclusive interview with The Sunday Telegraph.

“I’ve got to do what’s best to fit into the team and the culture. I’m trying to change really hard.”

The Hastings story is unique in that he doesn’t have a reputation as an off-field trouble maker. He’s no Matt Lodge or Todd Carney.

Yet during the week Manly coach Trent Barrett dumped Hastings to the NSW Cup second division competition, saying his players would refuse to take the field with him.

Yesterday the former Australian Schoolboys star ran out for the Blacktown Workers in their match against Wyong on the Central Coast. “He does have an issue fitting in with the group,” Barrett said.

JACKSON HASTINGS: HOW TENSIONS BOILED OVER

“I’ve got 29 other players here and I have to look after them as well.”

The dramatic move followed a hotel room punch-up with skipper Daly Cherry-Evans after a game in Gladstone two weeks ago.

The players had been at the Board Room strip club when the trouble began.

To be publicly admonished by the coach has had a devastating effect, especially for a bloke who is a loner, living with just his two dogs and female flatmate.

“You see your face on the back page,” he says. “You’re banished. You’re an outcast. Then another two pages inside. It can be pretty daunting to be told you’re not wanted by your workmates.

“It’s hard enough if it’s private, but to be played out so publicly in the media every day. I’ve cried.

“It’s been really upsetting. My mother rings and to hear her sobbing.

“It doesn’t only affect me, it’s my family. I can wear it but my poor mum hasn’t stopped crying all week.

“She’s been worried sick about me.”

The encouragement and reassurance of teammates have at least given him hope that what Barrett said was not entirely correct. “I just locked myself in my house for a couple of days and wouldn’t answer my phone,” he said.

“I didn’t want to be even seen in public. But then my teammates started text messaging me. I’ve got about 10 messages. They all said they wanted me back and checking I was OK.”

On Thursday night the Sea Eagles players had a team dinner at the Manly Grill restaurant in the build-up to today’s match against Parramatta at ANZ Stadium.

The players encouraged him to go, even though he’d been dumped to Blacktown. He walked in and Cherry-Evans got out of his seat.

They hugged then shook hands in a scene teammates said was as emotional as it gets. Hastings insists the Cherry-Evans fallout has been blown out of proportion.

Yesterday Manly fined Cherry-Evans $10,000 for his role in the altercation, saying the behaviour fell “massively short” of the club’s expectations.

“What happened while we were away happened. We’re grown-ups and I respect him not just as a person but as a player. We both made a poor decision on the night,” Hastings said.

“The club is bigger than anyone. It’s a stupid mistake and we both apologised.”

Yet Hastings had problems at the Sydney Roosters too. There were suggestions that he didn’t fit in. That he annoyed teammates and that he was often on the outer, although specific details of his apparent disrespectful behaviour remain a mystery because no one, apart from Barrett, will go on the record.

Some long-term staff at the Roosters are said to have found Hastings difficult.

He has been accused of showing a “lack of respect for the senior players” and that tension has spilt over into training sessions.

At the Roosters, he clashed with Jake Friend and Mitchell Pearce.

Some players also say Hastings struggled with the Manly club’s culture of pranking and didn’t respond well to being on the receiving end of team gags.

When you meet the former junior star it’s hard to understand. He is polite and polished and comes across as a very decent young man.

“You go to training every day to work on your craft but for me there are things I have to work on off the field as well,” he admits. “I guess team environments are about every single person.

“The guy I’ve been seeing (his psychologist) has been fabulous. I’m learning more about myself. It wasn’t ideal at the Roosters or the way it finished up. It’s happened twice so there are obviously things I have to tinker with.

“You are who you are and in rugby league there are so many different personalities.

“We’re all different. The situation I’m in would hurt anyone and to be exposed so publicly, I wouldn’t want anyone else to have to deal with it.”

Hastings refuses to comment on suggestions Manly officials wanted him out to ease financial pressure after recently being caught blat antly cheating the salary cap to the tune of $1.5 million. In a back-ended two-year contract, he got $100,000 last season and $360,000 this year. It’s why his agent, Sam Ayoub, is watching Manly’s moves closely. And this comment by their chief executive, Lyall Gorman: “If a player chooses not to fit into that (culture) then you have to make cultural decisions.”

But for now it’s about getting his career back on track. To prove the knockers wrong and to cop his medicine like a man.

“I guarantee you one thing,” Hastings says. “I’m not going to moan or whinge or bitch about it. I’m not going to feel sorry for myself. It’s head down, bum up.

“I’ll train as hard as I can and play as well as I can to earn my spot back in the NRL side. It would be disrespectful not to give Blacktown everything I’ve got.”

Weidler’s column:

Discusses The Hastings drama, a stomach with some junior players with one quilting the side (doesn’t mention who) and the lack of comment from Gorman.

Obviously doesn’t miss the club with the article.

Anyone know who the junior player is?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...-versus-bad-boy-hastings-20180421-p4zayr.html
Thanks for the link. Seems remarkably balanced.
I remember when Gorman was appointed thinking that if this guy, with his outstanding credentials, doesn't shine in our club, then we'll be a basket case until the Penns exit stage right.

What I don’t understand is that they’re Rugby League players, there are so many asshats running around, they should be able to play with Martin Bryant or Ivan Milat and not have any concerns. They would’ve been playing with terrible blokes since they were 6.

Reading the Telegraph article by rothfield leads me to believe that TBaz has jumped the gun in dropping Hastings. If DCE and Hastings have already kissed and made up, well it kinda leaves TBaz on the outer. He made a wrong call in my opinion and the club only buckled due to mounting media pressure. They should stop all the childish pranking and concentrate on their footy. If you have a culture of pranking it affects discipline and that leaks out on and off the field . They should cut that childish shi-t out immediately.

Sound like an under 8 side and mums and dads fighting the coach

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10