Bah bah sacked and De Belin charged

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Like Brett's case ?

Where was the evidence there ?
Well that's a matter for the DPP to review their processes, I'm no lawyer but they obviously felt there was some evidence to take it to trial.

Well that's a matter for the DPP to review their processes, I'm no lawyer but they obviously felt there was some evidence to take it to trial.

I contend that the DPP bowed to the intense media pressure at the time, and took it to trial despite a lack of evidence.
I was under the impression that the judge said something similar as well., that's just my recollection though.

True but it is not the DPP but the police who initially lay charges, and the police are not lawyers and are not all skilled at assessing the credibility of evidence. In fact police are well-known in legal circles to routinely 'overcharge', in other words they will often lay the most serious charges that conceivably may fit a scenario. It could be months later before the DPP lawyers get involved and those very serious charges are quickly consigned to the scrap heap.
(And yes I also heard the prosecution of Brett was at least in part a backlash from the criticism they faced in not charging anyone over the Coffs Harbour affair a few years earlier.)

If a club is going to let a player take the field while they are under investigation , the club management should make a statement why they have decided to allow this to happen.if they cannot make a positive statement the player should not be on the field. For example if the Manly management have spoken to Dylan and they believe he is innocent they should make it public. I have no sympathy for the players who have tarnished rugby league and continue to do so however I have great sympathy for the players who do the right thing. The employers ,that is the clubs ,need to take more responsibility for the behaviour of their employees. Maybe a process like the recent enquiry into banking needs to be completed to stop this rubbish happening. There should be a clear set of procedures for all players who have misbehaved and every club should be made to follow them.

This has been answered earlier by more informed people than me V8 .... But I believe Manly were fined because of poor behavour at an official Manly season launch .... and not fined because of Snake's being charged .....

Yes, and Snake was suspended for catching a taxi home.

In other news the Roosters are under the salary cap, Greenberg is a man of integrity, Kieren Foran is over his injury and personal woes and Brad Arthur will deliver the Eels a premiership this year.

If a club is going to let a player take the field while they are under investigation , the club management should make a statement why they have decided to allow this to happen.if they cannot make a positive statement the player should not be on the field. For example if the Manly management have spoken to Dylan and they believe he is innocent they should make it public. I have no sympathy for the players who have tarnished rugby league and continue to do so however I have great sympathy for the players who do the right thing. The employers ,that is the clubs ,need to take more responsibility for the behaviour of their employees. Maybe a process like the recent enquiry into banking needs to be completed to stop this rubbish happening. There should be a clear set of procedures for all players who have misbehaved and every club should be made to follow them.
If the player is pleading not guilty, as is the case with Walker and de Belin, then the club has to accept this. Do you realistically think a RL club has the ability/resources to test the veracity of a player's word?

Apologies for continuing this debate, but a comment piece in today's Tele from Jessica Halloran has me miffed. In it she advocates standing down all players charged with an offence. It seems to be the popular view of the media. But her logic is flawed imo. She writes: "No one questions that de Belin is innocent until proven guilty. What is clear, however, is that the NRL can and must raise its standards . . ."
Now, does she realise that court matters can take years to settle?
Does she realise that as soon as a player is stood down it looks to the world that the person is guilty?
Does she realise how often the Police get charges wrong, and go on witch hunts to nab high-profile people?

I fear that the NRL will disregard the legal process and do as she advocates. I think this is wrong.

Like someone has said, imagine GF week and a fraudster like Snakes case comes forward: pay me $500k or I'll say 5 of your stars gangbanged a young girl against her will etc etc.
It's a messy situation but like Mark says above innocent until guilty is the "best" we can do
Sounds like something organised crime would love to get into after putting a heap of money on the other team.

Greenturd has NFI with this :fubar:

DT today

DAILYTELEGRAPH

NRL moves to rescue game’s image and compensate clubs when players are stood down
PHIL ROTHFIELD FEBRUARY 25, 2019
St George Illawarra will be offered $600,000 in salary cap relief if star player Jack de Belin is stood down by the NRL this week while he fights sexual assault charges.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that any club forced to stand down a player facing serious criminal charges in future will receive compensation to ensure the club and their fans are not penalised.

Under the new plan, clubs could sign a replacement player on a short-term agreement. De Belin is on $600,000 at the Saints.

The game’s independent commission is tipped to rubber stamp the new proposal on Thursday.

If de Belin is stood down, as expected, he would remain on full pay until his court case has been finalised, which could take as long as 18 months.

Clubs have previously been reluctant to accept suspensions because of the effect on their playing rosters.

The Roosters’ influential supremo Nick Politis told The Daily Telegraph last week: “The problem is you are penalising the club and the fans more than the player.

“That’s not fair on the clubs.”

NRL independent commission chairman Peter Beattie has taken the comments on board.

“This element of the debate will be discussed on Thursday,” Mr Beattie said.

“We’ve got to be fair to the clubs if the rules are going to be changed.”

Both Beattie and NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg will meet with St George Illawarra boss Brian Johnston and the players union on Tuesday before determining a final outcome on de Belin’s immediate future.

The Rugby League Players Association has been slammed by critics for its weak attitude regarding player behaviour and their refusal to recognise the brand damage that has been caused during the off-season.

The problem for the Dragons will be finding a suitable replacement for de Belin at short notice.

There are no middle forwards of anywhere near his ability currently on the open market.

Clubs’ rosters are all-but finalised for the year and those players potentially available are unlikely to be of the same on-field quality.

However, players could become available if the NRL comes down hard on the Cronulla Sharks and Wests Tigers over salary cap rorting.

The two clubs could be forced to pay several hundred thousand under the cap this year.

The 27-year-old — who was ruled out of St George Illawarra’s trial clash against Newcastle due to a virus last week — was seen walking a dog with teammate Euan Aitken before they joined other players for a game of basketball.

De Belin is accused of sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman at his cousin’s apartment after a night out in Wollongong in December last year.

Police have alleged that during the incident he told his friend to “come have a go”.

De Belin has pleaded not guilty to the charge of aggravated sexual assault and his matter will return to court on April 17.

He has successfully had his bail conditions varied so he does not need to report to police every Monday and Friday. He has also surrendered his passport.

De Belin’s case has been thrust into the spotlight after what has been a horror NRL off-season, plagued by bad player behaviour.

https://outline.com/g7FmVX

Greenturd has NFI with this :fubar:

DT today

DAILYTELEGRAPH

NRL moves to rescue game’s image and compensate clubs when players are stood down
PHIL ROTHFIELD FEBRUARY 25, 2019
St George Illawarra will be offered $600,000 in salary cap relief if star player Jack de Belin is stood down by the NRL this week while he fights sexual assault charges.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that any club forced to stand down a player facing serious criminal charges in future will receive compensation to ensure the club and their fans are not penalised.

Under the new plan, clubs could sign a replacement player on a short-term agreement. De Belin is on $600,000 at the Saints.

The game’s independent commission is tipped to rubber stamp the new proposal on Thursday.

If de Belin is stood down, as expected, he would remain on full pay until his court case has been finalised, which could take as long as 18 months.

Clubs have previously been reluctant to accept suspensions because of the effect on their playing rosters.

The Roosters’ influential supremo Nick Politis told The Daily Telegraph last week: “The problem is you are penalising the club and the fans more than the player.

“That’s not fair on the clubs.”

NRL independent commission chairman Peter Beattie has taken the comments on board.

“This element of the debate will be discussed on Thursday,” Mr Beattie said.

“We’ve got to be fair to the clubs if the rules are going to be changed.”

Both Beattie and NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg will meet with St George Illawarra boss Brian Johnston and the players union on Tuesday before determining a final outcome on de Belin’s immediate future.

The Rugby League Players Association has been slammed by critics for its weak attitude regarding player behaviour and their refusal to recognise the brand damage that has been caused during the off-season.

The problem for the Dragons will be finding a suitable replacement for de Belin at short notice.

There are no middle forwards of anywhere near his ability currently on the open market.

Clubs’ rosters are all-but finalised for the year and those players potentially available are unlikely to be of the same on-field quality.

However, players could become available if the NRL comes down hard on the Cronulla Sharks and Wests Tigers over salary cap rorting.

The two clubs could be forced to pay several hundred thousand under the cap this year.

The 27-year-old — who was ruled out of St George Illawarra’s trial clash against Newcastle due to a virus last week — was seen walking a dog with teammate Euan Aitken before they joined other players for a game of basketball.

De Belin is accused of sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman at his cousin’s apartment after a night out in Wollongong in December last year.

Police have alleged that during the incident he told his friend to “come have a go”.

De Belin has pleaded not guilty to the charge of aggravated sexual assault and his matter will return to court on April 17.

He has successfully had his bail conditions varied so he does not need to report to police every Monday and Friday. He has also surrendered his passport.

De Belin’s case has been thrust into the spotlight after what has been a horror NRL off-season, plagued by bad player behaviour.

https://outline.com/g7FmVX

wow. Uncle Nick, you've done it again.

This certainly voids the club's responsibilities to adequately educate players.

If feels like the twilight zone at the moment, what are the nrl doing to the game? Is this the end? The beginning of the end? The end of the churchillian beginning?

So many "what ifs" to this latest knee jerk .... but here's one ... what if they suspend Belin ... they magicaly sign a $600k player who was sitting at home waiting for a cal .... then 2 weeks later the girl drops all charges .... what do they do with the new payer .. or are they going to suggest football players start signing week to week contracts ...

... and another plot that will benefit only the rich clubs .... some clubs would find it difficult to just stump up another $6ook ...

PSS @globaleagle .. I know I pressed the o instead of the 0, but I am not that anal that I feel the need to change it ..

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6