Annesley's weakly "why this happened" report

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Still no explanation of why the Roosters were allowed to captain challenge play that occurred before the referee's decision to rule a lost ball in the play the ball? The challenge should only have been allowed on the referee's decision to stop play for a Roosters lost ball and to order a Broncos scrum?

And if the Bronco tackler wasn't fined or suspended, then doesn't that mean the player should never have been put on report? And if the player should never have been put on report, then the bunker were wrong to give it a penalty as they are only allowed to do that for a reportable offence?

Completely avoiding the biggest problem - consistency - most refs very obviously favour one side, all anyone wants is for both sides to be reffed the same way in each game. I can cop different refs have slightly different ways of reffing a game, but a ref reffing 2 teams playing each other in totally different ways is a problem annesley needs to fix instead of blaming coaches
This is really the crux of the issue , mistakes can happen ( they are only human ) but when a ref treats one side differently to the other in the same game it’s close to cheating!! And sadly I see it in most games , one side getting away with things whilst the other gets pinged !!

I don’t watch many other games any more , sad really I used to watch them all.

Looks to me like rugba leege is on a fast track to China.
Who knew they would do it with a shovel and the refs boss doing the digging.

Still no explanation of why the Roosters were allowed to captain challenge play that occurred before the referee's decision to rule a lost ball in the play the ball. The challenge should only have been allowed on the referee's decision to stop play for a Roosters lost ball and to order a Broncos scrum.

And if the Bronco tackler wasn't fined or suspended, then doesn't that mean the player should never have been put on report? And if the player should never have been put on report, then the bunker were wrong to give it a penalty as they are only allowed to do that for a reportable offence.
If play stops you can challenge anything back to the previous tackle and any contact with the head is a penalty. This decision wasn't the way I want a game decided but the VRs hands were tied. We can't have it both ways, it's either black and white or vague judgment calls. I prefer B&W.

Wow, Annesley's logic is that the players make mistakes so the refs are entitled to as well?

There's 26 players on the field at any given time but only 1 ref - is he trying to suggest the number of player errors is proportionate with the number of ref errors at a ratio of 26 to 1???

Slater has a response. It's not as hard-hitting as the click bait masters would want you to believe so I've posted it below.

Slater believed coaches were well within their right to question officials, insisting it was part-and-parcel of what made the game so engaging.

"I don't entirely agree with Graham Annesley here," Slater told WWOS Radio on 2GB.

"I think we celebrate the game really well. I think we celebrate the exciting parts and the decisions, whether that's from the players, adjudicators, coaches.

"That's our job. That's why rugby league is where it's at because it's so popular, and we need to talk about all these issues whether it's the referees or not.

"I can understand the frustration talking about decisions, but that's our game. It's always been there and it's always going to be there."

Annesley is a moron.

If a player has a $hit game, he's dropped. When ref's f-up, they move onto their next match with no repercussions. If I continue to make the same mistakes at my job with the same frequency of these refs, I'd be performance managed. The same accountability doesn't apply to these idiots officiating the game. Same goes for the MRC.

I get the game is quick and we should be lenient blah blah, but at the end of the day the NRL chose to speed up the game. The NRL chose to drop to 1 ref. The NRL decided to implement discretionary 6 again rules (which has ZERO consistency).

The NRL need to figure it out and stop complaining about people questioning them, because its evident that who wins and loses is now decided by the bloke holding the whistle, and not the players.

Again admitting the refs stuffed up, but just carry on, nothing to see here.

What is the use of these weekly dirges, nothing is ever followed up, they never action anything from them. Complete waste of time/effort, all it proves is that annesley is getting paid, most probably a nice tidy sum, for absolutely doing nothing of value
That’s the politics in the game. They dont Want to shame their face so they do it in a way where hopefully it blows over. They say they are sorry but not as sorry as the the teams or players they are doing over. They like to bypass these problems of the like by bringing in rules Like ”The Captains Challenge” so then the responsibility is on the players to challenge a ruling that they have made by divergence. At the end of the day they are escaping their own bad decision making and not being accountable for their actions. The more things are changing the more they are staying the same. Yet if a player or coach sets one foot out of line they are crucified with fines and what not. The game is riddled with politics and in fact politics and sport are the same thing.

Being a ref is a tough gig, made all the harder because of the myriad of new rules, protocols and PR requirements. For example, why do refs have to know the names of all the players and refer to them by their first name? Just call them by their number! Can you imagine how hard it is to recognise all of these players and remember their names, especially under fatigue and enormous stress?
Why do refs have to tip off players/call them out when they are offside or about to infringe? That is not their job; just penalise them if/when they infringe.
Refs make a ton of mistakes and so the NRL should be looking at ways of easing their duties. I know if I was a ref I'd continually forget what number tackle we were on, and this is compounded by the six-agains and having some vidiot in the Bunker yelling through my earpiece.

It's to let the opposition know when the ball is out and they can get at 'er.

If you're asking why the ref's need to do that... I dunno. v'landy said it was to stop the defending team leaving the 'scrum' early.

v'landyball rules

Annesley is an absolute underachiever, that somehow has survived. Guess what Mr Annesley, each teams coach, every week trains and tries to improve. Your useless, incompetent referees don't improve and you don't tell us how you train them to improve. Who do you report to????... THis is from the same flog who traded the Gold Coast ,as a director of the club, whilst they were insolvent. Yet he gets promoted in the NRL..

I've learnt to live with the incompetence. There's no point getting upset about it. A team just needs to be good enough so the refs can't make the difference.

People say "but what if it happens in a grand final...??"

I refer them to 1995 and 2013.

The NRL would be better of not doing this ridiculous report...but they are not smart enough to realise nobody is swallowing it. It brings even more attention to the refereeing incompetence by trying to cover it up.

NRL press release

Our team of referees and training panel work very hard to provide the highest possible standard of adjudication to the game. We are human and can make mistakes but we are doing everything we can to get it right as often as humanly possible.

You would do well living here in the Philippines then buddy. After 15 years it is still a huge struggle for me. NRL incompetence just adds to it.

The incompetence is hard enough to take, but can be played around if you're good enough.

The 'massaging" of the game - the catch up penalties, six agains, sin bins, 50-50 calls become straight up 100-0 calls, forward passes let go, etc - is what makes it impossible to overcome.

I was watching the 66-0 thumping again and Tom was charging towards the ball...got tackled without it and the ref said "no penalty as tom had run past the ball!"

You still can't tackle a player on the field without the ball, maybe tom was going to turn and catch it.

It was straight up Sutton making something up to help the dogs (didn't work) and that ladies and germs, is an official cheating.

checking the rule book, it's illegal to tackle a player without the ball. No ifs or buts

Also... all the b/s annesley came out with about a shoulder charge, is also not in the rule book. Cleary did a shoulder charge, the nrl allowed it to go unpunsihed.

SHAME derryn hinch SHAME

I just watched a couple of minutes of this dribble. In the two incidents I watched Annesley used slow-mo vision to demystify Bunker decisions.
This sickens me.
When you watch a match you see the action in real time and base your opinions on what your eyes tell you. Slow-mo obfuscates reality, and allows the Bunker to rule on things that your eyes have not picked up. Now, if you want to argue that this micro-managing a match is good because it guarantees 100% accuracy then how come there is so much controversy around so many Bunker decisions?
Secondly, if you are happy to micro-manager select action sequences to gain accuracy then to validate it this must happen for every second of a match. You can't pick and choose when to micro-manage...
but they do. The Bunker seems to be able to butt in at random, such as the 'Downtown' ruling against South Sydney.
I have argued since the Bunker was introduced that it hasn't eliminated controversial decision, it has created more than ever. It should be scrapped, and the NRL should put the millions in savings towards developing junior referees.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8