Annesley's weakly "why this happened" report

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Funnily enough Klein lost control of the Rabbits Roosters game the week prior.

I'm sensing a common denominator here.
Watched the game with a guy who only watches rugby, and a guy who played league and rugby at high level but hasn't watched league in years and it was obvious to them.
Very haphazard game.

NRL's head of football Graham Annesley has conceded Parramatta was robbed of a crucial penalty during Saturday's thrilling two-point semi-final loss to Penrith in Mackay.

Vision emerged of Eels halfback Mitchell Moses being illegally obstructed as he tried to run in support of Ferguson. Moses would have been an extra Eels player at the loose ball if not for Penrith playmaker Jarome Luai tugging on his shoulder, knocking him off his run.

"They start jostling each other... but it gets to a point where Luai grabs Moses by the shoulder and tips him off balance," Annesley said in his weekly press briefing.

"In this case this should have been a penalty."

Annesley said it was an error made by the sideline official, not by main referee Ashley Klein or anyone in the video review bunker.

"The bunker can't intervene on general play. The only way the bunker could rule on this would be if there was a tryscoring situation and the referee referred it to the bunker,"

(I thought the bunker has been ruling on general play all season. They go back 3 tackles for a head high...etc)??

Asked about the remedy or the ramifications of this obvious miss, Annesley put his finger horizontally across his lips and went beeble beeble beeble

4pom2.gif

I watched it. 2 things stood out.

1. Why does he present to Rothfield and a few others? What an absurd format.

2. The Manly-Easts game had no incidents.

It was interesting watching yesterday. I have had nothing to do so have watched it the last few weeks. Yesterday was different. Normally he doesn't get many hard questions from the jurnos online. Yesterday Rothfield joined the session. He asked the questions that the supporters would ask (although he did sound half tanked). Annersley had to dig in a didn't really give a straight answer except to continually reiterate that the reason they do these briefings is to present a balanced view la de dah. Interestingly had they seen the hold back from Jerome it would have only been a penalty and not deemed a professional foul, so no bin.

I watched it. 2 things stood out.

1. Why does he present to Rothfield and a few others? What an absurd format.

2. The Manly-Easts game had no incidents.
Watching the nein commentary on the weekend footy show it was hard to discern if the manly easts game actually took place? Rated barely a mention except to say how heroic easts were to get through the season with so many injuries. Who did they play again?

Annesley is the biggest waste of time/money/space going, the sooner he gets that gig with the Brisbane Olympics the better. He must have some good goat photos to have lasted this long

The Keppie incident did not rate a mention in today's briefing.. Obviously the NRL thought it was handled well by the referees. In actual fact one could assume that there was only one game played on the weekend. Oh and apart from the touchie not lining up the conversion for the ref everything else was well handled as per the book.

NRL slams ‘unhealthy obsession’ over referees ahead of grand final​

Adrian Proszenko

By Adrian Proszenko

"NRL head of football Graham Annesley says the game has an “unhealthy obsession” over the role of match officials and put the onus onto players and trainers not to milk injuries in the code’s showpiece event.

Gerard Sutton has been appointed to officiate his fifth straight decider, taking his overall tally to seven, despite a blunder that allowed Nathan Cleary to take a goal kick from the wrong spot in Penrith’s win over Melbourne last weekend.
However, former referee Annesley said the focus shouldn’t be on the whistleblower.

“There is too much of an unhealthy focus around what referees do,” he said.
“This game should be about the players and the best team winning the competition, whoever that might be. We generally have an unhealthy obsession in rugby league about match officials."

........So don't worry about the ref. He's got nothing to do with the game, just an innocent bystander really........

NRL slams ‘unhealthy obsession’ over referees ahead of grand final​

Adrian Proszenko

By Adrian Proszenko

"NRL head of football Graham Annesley says the game has an “unhealthy obsession” over the role of match officials and put the onus onto players and trainers not to milk injuries in the code’s showpiece event.

Gerard Sutton has been appointed to officiate his fifth straight decider, taking his overall tally to seven, despite a blunder that allowed Nathan Cleary to take a goal kick from the wrong spot in Penrith’s win over Melbourne last weekend.
However, former referee Annesley said the focus shouldn’t be on the whistleblower.

“There is too much of an unhealthy focus around what referees do,” he said.
“This game should be about the players and the best team winning the competition, whoever that might be. We generally have an unhealthy obsession in rugby league about match officials."

........So don't worry about the ref. He's got nothing to do with the game, just an innocent bystander really........

We'll stop focusing on the referees role in the game when the referees stop making their role in the game our focus.

Therein lies the problem. What’s that saying - accepting you have a problem is 50% on the way to solving it’. Until the nrl accept that the refs are part of the problems, then nothing is going to happen to fix the problems

Therein lies the problem. What’s that saying - accepting you have a problem is 50% on the way to solving it’. Until the nrl accept that the refs are part of the problems, then nothing is going to happen to fix the problems
Agreed. I think one way to help is to ease the duties of the referee which could be done by giving more tasks to the sideline officials. Linespeople (not to be confused with the linesmen in these gender neutral times) have very little to do so they should be utilised more. And as I've posted before, allow the ref to call the players by their number rather than by their name; this alone would ease the burden on refs.

Annesley, when he retired from refereeing (he wasn't that bad at it, at least compared to today's lot), he went into politics. That's why he got the job of explaining the referee's weekend screw ups ... he knows how to put a somewhat positive spin on absolute bull$hit.

Funny as all buggery but at the PF a guy behind me stood up and screamed “ Refs Corruption “ every time a 6 again was blown ( for either side ).

The 6 agains are a waste of time and money now the coaches have pretty much worked them out so that the impact isn’t as great as when they were first brought in.

Should post this here too for future reference. 38th minute of game, beaver try disallowed because Scott Donald's kick ahead was a drop kick. scroll to 41.40.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2