Annesley's weakly "Why this happened" report - 2024 edition.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
There is some angst in the refereeing ranks around the appointment of Ashley Klein to Wednesday’s Origin game ahead of Adam Gee, who was so outstanding in last year’s grand final. Apparently the decision was made by NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo, not refs boss Jared Maxwell or head of football Graham Annesley.

lol

But Annesley tells us week in and week out how independent everything is of everything else!?!?!?!?!?!

LeonardCohen

Bencher
Says Manly's first half try to Olakau'atu should have been no try due to obstruction.

I think everyone with a set of eyes, including Olakau’atu thought it was too. Even my GF, who does not care much for the game, said it looked messy and asked me what I thought.

I watched it back many times and the only plausible reason (and I’m not convinced) that it was given, was it looked like Ben tried to continue moving through the line (i.e. he did not stop in the line) but Kyle Flanagan followed him and back-pedalled. Even so, Ben ran outside shoulder so it’s pretty black and white. Oh well, about time we got a break with the referees.

I gotta be honest, I was shocked there was nothing said by the commentators and nothing online about it in any match reports. Olakau’atu didn’t even celebrate and spent the first minute staring at the screen. The rest of the team stayed up around the 20-30m line and did not do the usual jog back either.

Shoe1

Journey Man
There were a few aspects of both tries unexplored.

With haumole’s try the saints player number 5 makes an early decision to go left and mark our outside man/men. This is a key reason why Haumole had a gap to run into. Flanagan initiated the contact with Ben too, he didn’t have to touch him. So I agree with the on field ref call of try. I disagree with Annesley.

With the laxettes try, he definitely bobbled it, but it was arguably stripped by the manly defender. You could argue it was stripped by manly then laxettes regained it, so legit try. This was possibly why the bunker confirmed it, but this reasoning was not considered by Annesley.

LeonardCohen

Bencher
There were a few aspects of both tries unexplored.

With haumole’s try the saints player number 5 makes an early decision to go left and mark our outside man/men. This is a key reason why Haumole had a gap to run into. Flanagan initiated the contact with Ben too, he didn’t have to touch him. So I agree with the on field ref call of try. I disagree with Annesley.

With the laxettes try, he definitely bobbled it, but it was arguably stripped by the manly defender. You could argue it was stripped by manly then laxettes regained it, so legit try. This was possibly why the bunker confirmed it, but this reasoning was not considered by Annesley.
You’re entitled to your opinion but I feel the decision of Fegai is independent of whether an obstruction occurs. He is entitled to slide off like he does, believing and trusting that the inside defender will slide as well and cover Olakau’atu. Also, the reason Flanno and Ben make contact is because Ben ran to the outside shoulder. If he ran to the inside shoulder and Flanno initiated contact, it could be considered a bad defensive read. It’s pretty black and white really and as much as I’m a Manly fan, I’d be upset if that try was given against my team.

Anyway, winners are grinners and all clubs have their fair share of dud calls across a season.

Shoe1

Journey Man
You’re entitled to your opinion but I feel the decision of Fegai is independent of whether an obstruction occurs. He is entitled to slide off like he does, believing and trusting that the inside defender will slide as well and cover Olakau’atu. Also, the reason Flanno and Ben make contact is because Ben ran to the outside shoulder. If he ran to the inside shoulder and Flanno initiated contact, it could be considered a bad defensive read. It’s pretty black and white really and as much as I’m a Manly fan, I’d be upset if that try was given against my team.

Anyway, winners are grinners and all clubs have their fair share of dud calls across a season.
I guess so, yeah. But pretty silly of feagai to expect Kyle to be able to stop haumole on his own. Even if Ben wasn’t there, the early slide meant a certain try. It usually needs 3 tacklers to stop haumole in that area.

It looked like number 5 was saying “he’s yours” :0)

LeonardCohen

Bencher
I guess so, yeah. But pretty silly of feagai to expect Kyle to be able to stop haumole on his own. Even if Ben wasn’t there, the early slide meant a certain try. It usually needs 3 tacklers to stop haumole in that area.

It looked like number 5 was saying “he’s yours” :0)
Haha yeah talk about hanging your teammate out to dry 😂

StuBoot

Bencher
I really don't get how Annesley just pulls out one or two incidents and then drags out the explanation.
Does it really solve anything or make us feel better?

With the Guac try I can see both sides of the argument but I think it was more of a try than not if that makes sense.
Burbo tries to go through the line, Flanno pretty much grabs him so he engaged the contact but quickly moves off to try to stop Guac.
So does Burbo stop in the line or does Flanno prevent him from going through?

Annesley even said Flanno ultimately gets there but wasn't good enough to prevent the try, would he have stopped him regardless? But Flanno had eyes for Burbo first so that was his decision, Burbo didn't "take him out".
I think with the onfield ref ruling try he obviously didn't feel there was anything untoward about it when so so many times they decide to rule no try and let the bunker decide which should be a good indicator.
Also, Flanno didn't really get up having a whinge either, it was more one or two teammates that asked the question.

Saying that, it will be interpreted differently many times this year

Both coach's will say their players should've been better in that situation.

Burbo should've run inside and faster to get through.
Flanno should've hit the deck to make it a no brainer.

LeonardCohen

Bencher
I really don't get how Annesley just pulls out one or two incidents and then drags out the explanation.
Does it really solve anything or make us feel better?

With the Guac try I can see both sides of the argument but I think it was more of a try than not if that makes sense.
Burbo tries to go through the line, Flanno pretty much grabs him so he engaged the contact but quickly moves off to try to stop Guac.
So does Burbo stop in the line or does Flanno prevent him from going through?

Annesley even said Flanno ultimately gets there but wasn't good enough to prevent the try, would he have stopped him regardless? But Flanno had eyes for Burbo first so that was his decision, Burbo didn't "take him out".
I think with the onfield ref ruling try he obviously didn't feel there was anything untoward about it when so so many times they decide to rule no try and let the bunker decide which should be a good indicator.
Also, Flanno didn't really get up having a whinge either, it was more one or two teammates that asked the question.

Saying that, it will be interpreted differently many times this year

Both coach's will say their players should've been better in that situation.

Burbo should've run inside and faster to get through.
Flanno should've hit the deck to make it a no brainer.
It’s to do with the shoulder you run to…if it’s inside shoulder and the defender initiates contact, it’s a try. If it’s outside shoulder and the defender initiates contact, it’s a no try. Thus, your assertion that Flanno initiates contact is not in itself grounds for a try…you have to determine which shoulder you think he ran to. I think it’s quite clearly Flanno’s outside shoulder but that’s just me.

Rackets

Doin' the eagle rock 🦅
Well as Lomax lost control and didn't regrip when his try was awarded I'd say that makes it even. It also makes it two cock ups from the bunker in one game
Anusley is a flog. He says Lomax re-gathered the ball so it was the correct call. Instead of coming out every Monday and lay out all his bulldust excuses and apologies like a politician, he should be in the bunker adjudicating all those decisions then there won't be any reason for fans to be upset and feel ripped off....right Graeme?

Rocky

Bencher
Was a clear no try - that's how it is adjudicated these days.

One we got away with - i can only imagine if it was Saints who had scored that try. This thread would be 5 pages long today!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
14 7 7 -79 18