• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Who said he’s chasing money??? Need to step back & see what the root cause is. It was mentioned re personal reasons so until we know what’s going on we shouldn’t be accusing him of wanting more money!
Well their not gonna report that he is leaving for more money and we won't offer it too him.. if that is the case wouks they?

Apparently manager wants 900k. Will probably go to warriors as he has some heritage there
This has his grubby managers fingerprints all over it. Contracts are worth ****! All players have to do is, say'family reasons', have a sulk and they are let go and walked toward bigger payments. I bet he doesn't move for the same money elsewhere.... what a load of BS

i Know. lets blame DCE for AFB running away. sounds like a good plan dont you think?

Thats what you took from that. The albert hopoate thread is full of examples of social media crap , with our players liking them also
He is a top prop in his prime
Money talks , and he has a family to consider
Contracts are something to fall back on if your out of form

But to keep you happy lets offer him 2 million to backflip. We must keep all the hyphenators
Anyway i dont want to keep you away from your drinking.

I am at an absolute loss for words. If the club is considering this then they either have rocks in their head or the issues for his departure are way more than just the fact he's been offered a bucket load of cash somewhere else and stuff we can;t comprehend. I really hope it's not just money. Theres must be more to it.....it makes zero sense otherwise.

This was one of the guys our next premiership was going to be built on.

What are we doing ???

Please explain why you would keep a player who doesn't want to be at the club?

Maybe the truth is that it is down to wanting to move his family out of Sydney, you can't blame someone for wanting to do what's best for their family, I'm sure you would do the same for yours.

At the end of the day, why would you keep an unhappy player when it may lead to losing another player who may want to stay and dig in for the club.

I don't think we should panic. He is a brilliant forward, I agree but the game is moving further and further from these types, and we rely on AFB way too much for my liking. Less reliance on a big forward, hopefully money to bring in someone like Welch who is incredibly versatile. Blood young Olakautau so we don't compromise too much on size. Then we have not only a versatile, hard-working prop, but a versatile, powerful second-rower.

It's about balancing our side imo. AFB is a brilliant player I agree, but I am interested in the opportunity this gives us to finally bring more responsibility on the backs and back-rowers and revamp the roles of our props.

One thing I am disappointed in is losing AFB's passion because he really tried hard for a long time and fought through an increasing amount of niggling injuries. A move away from the Des Hasler Bulldogs is what we need imo (a size-orientated forward pack made them vulnerable as by 2014-15 opposition teams had begun to work them out and kill their power game. They are still recovering).

We need balance and a versatile forward pack with not only AFB's grunt and leg drive, but also speed, deception and a passing game. The problem with having a reliance on forwards such as AFB and Taupau is that they can be easily prepared for by opposition teams and silenced. Big props are there to bend the line, and I think they aren't as capable of slicing it in half like a fast, more agile prop. Forward packs just need to hold their ground in defence and make inroads in attack. Then we can finally have our backline take the reigns like the old manly sides.

The sharks can't beat any top 8 team with a big forward pack of fifita, williams, hamlin uele, talakai, graham), while the cowboys rely like we do on AFB on Taumalolo.

I think this is the loss that has to happen (eg. burning down the forest so that it regrows stronger).
For too long we've just needed a versatile forward pack to do a job (make metres)

Last edited by a moderator:
This has his grubby managers fingerprints all over it. Contracts are worth ****! All players have to do is, say'family reasons', have a sulk and they are let go and walked toward bigger payments. I bet he doesn't move for the same money elsewhere.... what a load of BS
The NRL were in the process of changing rules where a player could not break a contract if it was to take up a more lucrative deal elsewhere

I may be speaking completely out of turn but i do wonder if there's an issue with some of the Pacifica players at our club. Many ask why HO isnt getting a run in the second row? AFB now walking away? MF in the ****e? Bit sus me thinks.
I must say that it is very noticeable on Instagram that the poly boys dont include any other team mates in their photos. And they all flash stupid gang signs. Just feels to me like they are a bit seperate to the club.

speculation on my part but wouldn’t surprise me if he has fallen in with a bad crowd and that’s what he needs to remove himself from

My exact thoughts on the inner west Islander crew we have ATM, hopefully for all of them they leave that gang **** behind them and concentrate on footy.

Wonder if this is the beginning of the 'PURGE' by Des? I mentioned a few weeks back that this roster other than a few fringe players was a relic of the TB years. Perhaps some are just not prepared to put in the work Des demands day in day out?
I must admit as mentioned earlier the footy IQ of some in our side is pretty ordinary at the moment.

I may be speaking completely out of turn but i do wonder if there's an issue with some of the Pacifica players at our club. Many ask why HO isnt getting a run in the second row? AFB now walking away? MF in the ****e? Bit sus me thinks.

I said this a few weeks back and implied it again until you turned it into something else

The issue though is paramount

Please explain why you would keep a player who doesn't want to be at the club?

Maybe the truth is that it is down to wanting to move his family out of Sydney, you can't blame someone for wanting to do what's best for their family, I'm sure you would do the same for yours.

At the end of the day, why would you keep an unhappy player when it may lead to losing another player who may want to stay and dig in for the club.
The funny part will be if he ends up at the Warriors and they have to play out of NSW next year

If AFB is after more money, maybe let him go with his new club to pay out his contract. Frees up cap space to keep our junior talent & maybe buy new players to fill holes in the roster.

Last edited:
When the Pope dies, they get a new Pope.

While this is a huge loss, he's not indispensable. Paseka has developed into a starting level prop with potential for more growth. Keppie is coming along nicely. Hopefully Sipley can come back next year and fulfill his potential and we have young guys like Saddler, Titmuss and Fainu waiting for an opportunity.

What we need is a 9. This could be a blessing in disguise as we now have some leverage to go out and get one. As I posted earlier, I'd be calling Melbourne to see if we can get some sort of swap deal for Harry Grant. I imagine it would take a lot for Melbourne to let him go but it's not everyday you presented with a prop as good as AFB, and they still have Brandon Smith if Scam decides to hang up the boots.

A spine of Turbo, Shoe, DCE and Grant would be lethal.

The NRL were in the process of changing rules where a player could not break a contract if it was to take up a more lucrative deal elsewhere
Yep that’s what I have read as well. Does anyone know if this has been agreed yet by the players union?

We need players who are committed to our cause. I admire AFB very much and see how much he contributes when he is fit and focussed.

He has issues! The outburst against Newcastle was in many ways a turning point for him as hes not quite been the same player since.

I agree that we should look at getting in a quality hooker as that is the priority. Paseka has stepped up of late so we will be fine.

Haven't read through all these posts but my fist thought is he wants out of Sydney due to concerns about the pandemic. Fair enough.
Send him to Newcastle, give us Klemmer. Plus some change.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
Well if the club are happy to just fold this easily when one of their best players wants out with 2 years under contract still.... if there's any other players ready to try same tactics with us they'll certainly be emboldened. Let's see who's next.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2