A very very poor Back Row

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silver

Reserve Grader
I have to say it concerns me greatly that Williamson and Glenn Stewart are in our starting back row - to me neither should be in 1st grade, that just do not have the impact nor size necessary at this level. I know Watmough is injured, but what bothers me is that these 2 are our next best options...

Lets try some new blood against a supposed wooden spoon team!!!

plenty of whinging, not many options thrown up.

We must remember we live in the world of salary caps and most outstanding players are on contract, so to get key players you have to have cap room and find a key player off contract and one who wants to leave his club. Its not that simple!

LOD seems to be the only quality back rower available on the market and we have to compete with every other club.

yeah our depth is average in some positions, but its also outstanding in othyers, you wiull find thats the story right across the comp, so lets see how we go b efore we slit our throats.

Im no huge fan of G Stewart but hes a year stronger, Willow played most of last year with a Groin strain which now after an Op seems to be 100%. So lets see what happens!

And to continue on with Jungles balanced approach this team has been on the rise each year. I defy anyone to pose that this year we will either tread water or go backwards.

An important factor is the growth aspect of not only the team but the support personell aswell. Des isnt God but he is maturing each year as a coach. There are numerous injuries that hampered our 06 year that are not here right now. Thats just 2 examples.

Its my belief that the club has deliberately structured the way it handles retention & player contract payments, building towards a premiership through the 1-2 blue chip purchases per year. I clearly see that there has been some disappointments (gallen etc) but I also see the nucleus is already there and we are only a forward or 2 away from the silverware.

And to continue on with Jungles balanced approach this team has been on the rise each year. I defy anyone to pose that this year we will either tread water or go backwards.

An important factor is the growth aspect of not only the team but the support personell aswell. Des isnt God but he is maturing each year as a coach. There are numerous injuries that hampered our 06 year that are not here right now. Thats just 2 examples.

Its my belief that the club has deliberately structured the way it handles retention & player contract payments, building towards a premiership through the 1-2 blue chip purchases per year. I clearly see that there has been some disappointments (gallen etc) but I also see the nucleus is already there and we are only a forward or 2 away from the silverware.

OK I'll bite.

I think we will end the season somewhere between 7th and 12th.

Our pack and bench is one of the weakest in the comp.

I still maintain we have the worst pack in the competition. We have 4 passengers, 1 aged legend and Kite.

Mata it seems to me that basically we have the same personnel as last year in the forwards minus BK. The others in the team that left were passengers, riding on the back of BK. Given the comments from bloggers re the trial form of the forwards we have, which wasn't all bad, I don't think it's time to start slitting wrists. Last year I was one of the many to bag King but I also put the blame on his conditioners and Roach. Toovs will do a better job with him. Kite and Rosy can keep up with most other front rowers. Hall says he has passion and wants a better contract so there's an incentive to play hard. With no rep duties Menzies should go better than last year. Willo and Stewart are fairly ordinary granted, but if they do their tackles and hold the opposition forwards then job done. Going forward will be a bonus. Bryant needs to step up and well he might as he needs to. So all in all, if the forwards do their tackles the backs can win games for us. Top four finish for sure.

I wouldn't call Choc a 'passenger'. And I wouldn't call Princess an 'aged legend' :lol:

I'm talking about the starting pack named for Round One.

The jury is still out on Watmough in more ways than one.

I'd like to have seen Afamasaga, Cuthbertson and Wells given a try in the backrow before Willow, really. Just to see what they can do.

I'm happy with Glen Stewart in the team (not just because he's in my VRL team either >_>)

Yeah, i'm happy to have Stewy2

Willo.. hmm i'd rather a young bloke given a shot but as i have always said willo can do the job.. he won't let us down

[quote author=Jatz Crackers]

OK I'll bite.

[/quote]

I wasnt fishing.

Nothing unreasonable in putting forward 7th to 12th.

Well, what about the halves and backline ?

I think BK's actual, physical on-field performance in 2006 was not as great as you guys make it out to be (and certainly not like in 2006). I think it was more mental than anything - if BK was out there, everything was allright, if not, we were stuffed. We just need every forward player to lift 10% and we can cover for him. I'm more worried about the depth than anything.

[quote author=danno]
[quote author=Jatz Crackers]

OK I'll bite.

[/quote]

I wasnt fishing.

Nothing unreasonable in putting forward 7th to 12th.

Well, what about the halves and backline ?

[/quote]

Finishing 7th to 12th is "treading water or going backwards"

I think we have great halves and backline but I am "old school" - forwards win matches. We are capable of scoring 30 odd points a match and will need every one of them because we will be letting in 20 odd points a match. I also think our ruck defence will be a major problem all year.

Having said all this I would love to be proved wrong. I don't expect to be title contenders this year as we are short in key positions i.e. forwards and bench. I also think the club is well aware of this, LOD, Gallen etc. With the retirement and non replacement of a key forward we may be taking a step bacwards before we move forward.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4