666 - Number of the Beast

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Preferred option to play alongside DCE in the Halves?

• Jackson Hastings

• Todd Carney

• Aiden Sezer

• Cameron Cullen

• Clint Gutherson

• Brock Lamb

• Moses Mbye

• Kane Elgey

• Dylan Walker

• Trent Hodkinson

• Luke Metcalfe

• Tom Wright

• Lachlan Croker

• Api Koroisau

• Tom Trbojevic

• Tyrone May

Results are only viewable after voting.
I guess Hastings is the best of a bad bunch. My concern is he steered our Blacktown team to a last placed finish (and I'm bagging Brock Lamb - LOL). A serious first grade quality 5/8, should tear up the NSW Cup, but what I saw was less than inspiring (same goes for Croker - who frankly was awful in the games I've seen him - plain awful)
I have not seen enough of 'Croker' Ryan, but agree with you on Hastings. If he was seriously going to make it in first grade he would have dominated in NSW Cup. His performances in that grade last season should have been the barometer of whether he had the skills and hunger to be a long term first grader. He has a reasonable kicking game and a fair pass out of dummy half, but lacks pace and desire. I hope he proves me wrong if he gets the starting gig next season.

If I was Barrett I would give Hastings first crack. Alongside what is now a full fledged international spine of Tom, DCE and Api, along with Jake, Kapow, Walker, Uate, Siro etc, I think he would do a lot better than he did at the Chooks or this year when playing for Blacktown. Then of course there is his goal kicking, he is arguably the best at the club.

Add to that the fact that he already knows how we play, he knows the players around him. He wouldn't have to learn anything in that respect.

If he can't fire with that lot then he never will.

Cut our losses with Green and now not getting Pearce, give one of our long list of halves a go (Hastings, Cullen, Croker etc) and go after someone like Thompson or one of the Pommy forwards we're rumoured to be looking at.

giphy.gif

Official footage of Hodko chasing the ball

I still think we should go walks or Api.......

giphy.gif

Ummm.....maybe?

To be honest, I do think he has potential. He’s relatively young, he can kick goals, he can tackle, and he has shown skill with the ball.

We need Lamb, desperately.
If only for the endless puns this forum could produce.

Imagine the roasting he would get after a bad game.
Especially if he doesn't slice through we'd have to bone him...

Didn't Hasting's come here because he idolises Barrett?

I don't know - nothing to really add to this thread other than our coach has played 5/8 at every level so I'd assume he knows what is needed from this position...

I don’t know. The world cup isn’t a good indicator, how has he gone in 1st grade?

If he’s a fringe 1st grader with potential he’s 150k. Ignore the World Cup.

He hasn't had very many opportunities, probably less than 10 games in the halves. Against Canberra last season when Johnson was out he tore them up 1st half then got injured just before halftime

Lamb is quite divisive. Half the people here have no beef with him and the other half think he's a pork chop, either way it's quite the meaty discussion...
Problem is last tackle option , been known to shank em.

All the other far-fetched 5/8 candidates have their own thread so ...
This guy has guts aplenty, not sure about the skill level though.
24 years old, 80kg. Possibly more likely as a bench utility than as a starting 5/8.
When I've seen him play he reminds me a little of Travis Burns. I suspect we need more skill and composure from a 5/8 but he is strong in the areas Hastings is weak.
Current odds: 10 to 1

Last edited:
Who is he ?
Alex Walmsley (born 10 April 1990) is an English professional rugby league player who plays for St Helens in the Super League. He previously played for the Batley Bulldogs in the Championship. His position of choice is Prop.

Club career[edit]
Born in Dewsbury, Walmsley started his career in the amateur leagues, playing for Dewsbury Celtic and his university team, Leeds Met Carnegie.[4] In 2011, he received the National Conference League player of the year award.[5]

In February 2012, Walmsley signed for Batley following a spell on trial at the club.[6] He won Batley's player of the year award and the Championship Young Player of the Year during his only season with the club, before signing with St. Helens for the start of the 2013 season.[7]

Walmsley briefley returned to Batley at the start of 2013 on a dual registration before establishing himself in the St Helens first team that season.[8]

St Helens reached the 2014 Super League Grand Final and Walmsley was selected to play from the interchange bench in their 14-6 victory over Wigan.[9]

Walmsley's form in 2015 saw him named to the Super League Dream Team for the first time as well as earning him a nomination for the Man of Steel award.[10]
Played one game for England 2017 . Age 27 196cm 115kg

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8