Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

4 spots to fill .. updated ?

BOZO

The Incomparable Immortal Bob Fulton
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
Reaction score

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Reaction score
Problem I see with a hooker is ... if he is good enough to satisfy Silvertails, then he will want to be the main man starting hooker elsewhere on big dollars . not here as a back-up eg The Cheese

if he is a depth signing like Levi ... then we will just bag the shiite out of him for not being as good as Fainu ..

BOZO

The Incomparable Immortal Bob Fulton
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
Reaction score
Which may be a blessing in disguise or a massive **** up, let’s revisit that in a few years!!

PS: I don’t blame the club I’d do the same
From what we have seen of him it is a blessing .

Smokin Joe

Reaction score
With Cust and Croker still on the books, Foz and Walker able to cover there and DCE and Schuster most likely the 2 starters don’t you think that would be enough?

You probably know more than most Smokin but if ZDC and Pythian were highly thought of I would have thought their appearances would have happened in 2020.

We really need a strong 9 to lay the platform for our pack or we will be behind the 8 ball like we were much of 2020 with no Fainu. Levi highlighted how critical of a role it is and if ZDC and Pythian are the answer, we are in big big trouble.

The club should be perusing every single 9 option in the comp to look for fresh blood from elsewhere or a proven 9 with good vision to ensure our packs momentum.
I have no faith in Croker or Walker,Foran is a gamble(injury wise) and I think a guy who can provide some direction at half is needed as a back up.
I would take Phythian,Marshall,Tyrone Roberts on a one year contract to be backups.Phythian I believe is held in some regard by Des,but no CC meant he had no chance to show it.
In regards to them not appearing this year,the 35 man squad was already signed and with only one spot available Des chose to promote Fainu into the squad for his own reasons(he also signed Harper to replace Smith).We all know that Des likes a player to prove himself first.
I honestly don't have a lot of faith in Des' ability to spot talent in a dummy half,he has lucked onto having Fainu and to his credit he seems to realize it,I believe ZDC is suited to the new rule changes,he is a dummy half but has the vision and creativity of a half,he is also a leader and has real skill level in regards to his kicking and passing and he is at least as good a defender as Cam Smith....
Unless we are prepared to fork out good money on someone,we have to be realistic about what we can get,anyone coming here knows that the club views Fainu as the future and is not really going to be here long term,so veterans who are past it or unwanted guys looking to prove themselves are really our only options,(apart from a trade etc...with an experienced guy on the last year of his contract looking for another payday for the future.)

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Reaction score
Croker is BWSE at best , should never be seen in first grade again!!
I had some hope for him at 9,but he seems to just try too hard and try to do too much,seems to lack the patience and vision,I actually think he could be a Gutherson type as a centre/fullback with time,he had a really good game at centre and might be suited there(we have enough centres though...).
First year he has actually gotten through a full year as well without a major injury...If super league wants him would not mind letting him go.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't given up on Croker as a first grader.
If it weren't for the unavailability of our higher-rated halves and hookers over the last 2 seasons he would have played far more reserves (well not this year obviously) and less first grade.
He is 23. A guy like Nicho Hynes has been able to develop out of the spotlight, and at age 24 this year suddenly he is decent first grade standard.

Batty

Reaction score
Croker is BWSE at best , should never be seen in first grade again!!
Agree with u but still has 12 months left of his contract and I doubt anyone will take him so we are stuck with him.
If there are injuries, I have no doubt he’ll be used again next year. Des seems to have faith in him... not sure why.

Shoe1

Reaction score
Its been said in other threads but I think some powder is being kept dry until the JDB case finishes up (could have an impact on Manase via the stand down policy). If there is zero chance of that rule being reversed and Manase is out for the majority of 2021, that is when moves will be made.

As I said moves will happen deep into this off season.
I don’t see how the jdb case will have any bearing on things. If he’s guilty, gorn. If he is innocent then the nrl will say that serious charges justify the stand down. And the stand down has already been tested in court and upheld as a thing.

Batty

Reaction score
I have no faith in Croker or Walker,Foran is a gamble(injury wise) and I think a guy who can provide some direction at half is needed as a back up.
I would take Phythian,Marshall,Tyrone Roberts on a one year contract to be backups.Phythian I believe is held in some regard by Des,but no CC meant he had no chance to show it.
In regards to them not appearing this year,the 35 man squad was already signed and with only one spot available Des chose to promote Fainu into the squad for his own reasons(he also signed Harper to replace Smith).We all know that Des likes a player to prove himself first.
I honestly don't have a lot of faith in Des' ability to spot talent in a dummy half,he has lucked onto having Fainu and to his credit he seems to realize it,I believe ZDC is suited to the new rule changes,he is a dummy half but has the vision and creativity of a half,he is also a leader and has real skill level in regards to his kicking and passing and he is at least as good a defender as Cam Smith....
Unless we are prepared to fork out good money on someone,we have to be realistic about what we can get,anyone coming here knows that the club views Fainu as the future and is not really going to be here long term,so veterans who are past it or unwanted guys looking to prove themselves are really our only options,(apart from a trade etc...with an experienced guy on the last year of his contract looking for another payday for the future.)
Fair points.
Agree with you about Croker and Walker. Unfortunately they are on the books though so will have to see them off.

Your comments about a back up 9 highlights that we should potentially be chasing a utility type backrow then that can play 9 but more suited to the backrow eg B Smith, J Tevaga type player etc. That way if Fainu comes back they can drop to the bench backrow role.

I personally would love to see us go after a Jnr 9 from another club. Schnieder would be perfect. Happy to play first grade for his shot in the big league and no doubt would love the experience of playing with Fainu if he returns.

I think ZDC would have featured this year if Des/Crusher had any faith in him. He’s had his chance to make first grade and been around - so far, no club has bothered.

Shane4500

Reaction score
We went after hetherington so that to me suggests we are or were in the market. Maybe the hetherington move had something to do with Boyle. I heard he was off to the dogs... now seems hes staying. Iv never been a fan of sipley. Too slow and no impact imho.. i hope we are looking at someone else or look to bring in young fainu
Agreed - I hope Boyle goes and yes Sipley doesn't do it for me either. Young Faimnu will definitely be in the picture but yes agree thwy will sign another prop. Hopefully a wild crazy man who wants to bash people!

Smokin Joe

Reaction score
Fair points.
Agree with you about Croker and Walker. Unfortunately they are on the books though so will have to see them off.

Your comments about a back up 9 highlights that we should potentially be chasing a utility type backrow then that can play 9 but more suited to the backrow eg B Smith, J Tevaga type player etc. That way if Fainu comes back they can drop to the bench backrow role.

I personally would love to see us go after a Jnr 9 from another club. Schnieder would be perfect. Happy to play first grade for his shot in the big league and no doubt would love the experience of playing with Fainu if he returns.

I think ZDC would have featured this year if Des/Crusher had any faith in him. He’s had his chance to make first grade and been around - so far, no club has bothered.
Ray Stone?Reed Izzard? Neither is big but mobile and could be useful utilities,a guy who can play hooker and lock/edge will usually be a bit smaller size wise but mobility will be good eg Cam Murray.
We have Tyran Ott who whilst not a star would be a solid option if called on.Think he is still eligible for flegg with the age changes mooted,bit of a leader type too.
In regards to ZDC what you say is true,but with the rule changes I think some players become more useful,the young half from the Sharks Brayden Trindall is still not signed( I think) and I think he would make a really good dummy half with a years experience.Good defender and sharp with skills that would transition well to a 9.

Batty

Reaction score
Ray Stone?Reed Izzard? Neither is big but mobile and could be useful utilities,a guy who can play hooker and lock/edge will usually be a bit smaller size wise but mobility will be good eg Cam Murray.
We have Tyran Ott who whilst not a star would be a solid option if called on.Think he is still eligible for flegg with the age changes mooted,bit of a leader type too.
In regards to ZDC what you say is true,but with the rule changes I think some players become more useful,the young half from the Sharks Brayden Trindall is still not signed( I think) and I think he would make a really good dummy half with a years experience.Good defender and sharp with skills that would transition well to a 9.
Stone would be great. He debuted well with the Slime.

I guess with ZDC we have nothing to lose right so why not. I just think if they had him in mind, it would have been in 2020.

I was very impressed with Trindall. He would be a great Moneyball signing.

The thing for me is, we can’t rely on Fainu. He’s gone most of 2021 and potentially never returns anyway if found guilty. If the club is serious about 2021 - we need a solution from round 1. I hope this is what the club is working towards.

Available to negotiate as of tomorrow:
Joshua Cook, Jake Granville, Siliva Havili, Sione Katoa, Mitchell Kenny, Karl Lawton, Jacob Liddle, Andrew McCullough, Cameron McInnes, Kyle Paterson, Mitch Rein, Jazz Tevaga, Sam Verrills.
Hoping this is the direction the club is going for 2021.

Ryan

Reaction score
I think McCullough has gone back to the Bronco's, but he's just turned 30, has 268 games experience (3 state of origin games only 2 years ago), would look VERY good in a Manly jersey (was injured this year for The Knights).

Want a Hooker, sign him for 12 months. His poise and experience, as well as character would do wonders to those around him. Share the duties with Foran (if Fainu isn't available).

madmax

Reaction score
Stone would be great. He debuted well with the Slime.

I guess with ZDC we have nothing to lose right so why not. I just think if they had him in mind, it would have been in 2020.

I was very impressed with Trindall. He would be a great Moneyball signing.

The thing for me is, we can’t rely on Fainu. He’s gone most of 2021 and potentially never returns anyway if found guilty. If the club is serious about 2021 - we need a solution from round 1. I hope this is what the club is working towards.

Available to negotiate as of tomorrow:
Joshua Cook, Jake Granville, Siliva Havili, Sione Katoa, Mitchell Kenny, Karl Lawton, Jacob Liddle, Andrew McCullough, Cameron McInnes, Kyle Paterson, Mitch Rein, Jazz Tevaga, Sam Verrills.
Hoping this is the direction the club is going for 2021.
Cameron McInnes would be awesome!!!!

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
Reaction score
Who the hell is Schneider?

Kyle Schneider... from what I read he previously played in U/16 Origin for NSW and was later in the emerging Blues squad chosen by Fittler. He was behind Mahoney at Parramatta and I gather he has been injured so that has hampered his progress a little. Still about 20yo though so I'm sure he will land somewhere.

Latest posts

2020 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 20 18 1 1 299 37
2 Storm 20 16 0 4 258 32
3 Eels 20 15 0 5 104 30
4 Roosters 20 14 0 6 230 28
5 Raiders 20 14 0 6 128 28
6 Rabbitohs 20 12 0 8 169 24
7 Knights 20 11 1 8 47 23
8 Sharks 20 10 0 10 0 20
9 Titans 20 9 0 11 -117 18