Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

4 spots to fill .. updated ?

AlxFromNthNarra

Reaction score
We all want a hooker, but we signed Fainu - baggage and all.

So our value proposition to a prospective hooker:
Join us for 1 season, maybe less, asuming Fainu is ruled out most of the season (which seems likely). However once Fainu is back he's our guy. You might be rotated until Fainu develops into an 80-min hooker (which may not happen in todays game however)

We got Levi under that 1-year ago. Now Fainu's case is 1-year more progressed and may be resolved before year's end.

If we do get an existing 1st-grade hooker, we will be lucky to get one better than Levi as there isn't much in it for them I reckon.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Reaction score
We all want a hooker, but we signed Fainu - baggage and all.

So our value proposition to a prospective hooker:
Join us for 1 season, maybe less, asuming Fainu is ruled out most of the season (which seems likely). However once Fainu is back he's our guy. You might be rotated until Fainu develops into an 80-min hooker (which may not happen in todays game however)

We got Levi under that 1-year ago. Now Fainu's case is 1-year more progressed and may be resolved before year's end.

If we do get an existing 1st-grade hooker, we will be lucky to get one better than Levi as there isn't much in it for them I reckon.

And if they were good enough, they wouldn't want to play as a spare tyre for a year ... only chance would be an untested young up and comer who backs himself to get noticed ... or an old dog wanting a superannuation year ...

AlxFromNthNarra

Reaction score
And if they were good enough, they wouldn't want to play as a spare tyre for a year ... only chance would be an untested young up and comer who backs himself to get noticed ... or an old dog wanting a superannuation year ...
Yeah pretty much my conclusion as well Woodsie.

I am thinking more along the lines of 'what do we need out of a dummy half' in the modern 6-again game? We need someone who takes on the line (which Levi did), but do it at the right time (which Levi didn't always do). We need a solid defender who can handle 40-50 tackles a game (which Levi did) and someone who has a reliable pass, maybe an offload in them Fainu-style after taking on the line. Someone with a quick play-the-ball.

I'm not distraught if we can turn Cust into a stop-gap for this - dude has a lot of that above and a better footy brain than Levi imo.

Shane4500

Reaction score
Yeah pretty much my conclusion as well Woodsie.

I am thinking more along the lines of 'what do we need out of a dummy half' in the modern 6-again game? We need someone who takes on the line (which Levi did), but do it at the right time (which Levi didn't always do). We need a solid defender who can handle 40-50 tackles a game (which Levi did) and someone who has a reliable pass, maybe an offload in them Fainu-style after taking on the line. Someone with a quick play-the-ball.

I'm not distraught if we can turn Cust into a stop-gap for this - dude has a lot of that above and a better footy brain than Levi imo.
Cust is the man and tough and can tackle and from what I gather played hooker in juniors!

AlxFromNthNarra

Reaction score
Cust is the man and tough and can tackle and from what I gather played hooker in juniors!
His Def was certainly my concern Shane.

But if you think his tackling is up to it then I can't see any reason he won't succeed. Anyway if he needs some technique advice, we have the best in the business in Jakey to school him a bit.

Cust really could be a D.Cook-esque style hooker, and I really hope that's what Des is grooming him to be.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Triggered Boomer”
Premium Member
Reaction score
Friend on a one year deal would be perfect , but he won’t leave the Rorters who can pay him a loyalty brown paper bag deal bigger than anyone else.

And of course there is Scam.......vomit / puke/ chunder , but he’d be sensational!!

Shane4500

Reaction score

But if you think his tackling is up to it then I can't see any reason he won't succeed. Anyway if he needs some technique advice, we have the best in the business in Jakey to school him a bit.

Cust really could be a D.Cook-esque style hooker, and I really hope that's what Des is grooming him to be.
He might need some technique straightened out but to me he is tough - he doesn't shirk defence and that is what you want in a hooker. Technique can be taught - the desire to lead with the head and shoulders and belt someone can't be taught. You can't teach heart! He has heart - he has toughness now they just need to teach him the subtleties of hooker defence and reducing his missed tackles.

Mataiforerver

Reaction score
OK .. what's the current state of play

OUT

AFB .
Waddell ..
Thommo ..
Levi ..
Elliot ..
T-Rex ..
Metcalf ..
Hoppa ..
Titmuss (sadly)

In
Foran ..
Davey ..
Burbo ..
Miski ..
Saab
Aloaia
Tupaloopa
Koula
Weeks

Did I read that Miski had been elevated to top 30 ? .. Surely with the signing of Tupaloopa and Saab that is in hindsight an issue ... Can somebody with more knowledge than me give us a good read on who is top 30 and the 6 development players .. thanks
think Miski got a development contract
Tolu Koula got a top 30 contract pretty sure.
Weekes on development too.

Bring back the.... Biff?

Foran 2021 Eagle
Reaction score
Friend on a one year deal would be perfect , but he won’t leave the Rorters who can pay him a loyalty brown paper bag deal bigger than anyone else.

And of course there is Scam.......vomit / puke/ chunder , but he’d be sensational!!
I wouldn't mind friend at all. Be a great option for 1 year but I doubt he'll leave

Shane4500

Reaction score

agreed totally

Dion Johnson

Reaction score
OK .. what's the current state of play

OUT

AFB .
Waddell ..
Thommo ..
Levi ..
Elliot ..
T-Rex ..
Metcalf ..
Hoppa ..
Titmuss (sadly)

In
Foran ..
Davey ..
Burbo ..
Miski ..
Saab
Aloaia
Tupaloopa
Koula
Weeks

Did I read that Miski had been elevated to top 30 ? .. Surely with the signing of Tupaloopa and Saab that is in hindsight an issue ... Can somebody with more knowledge than me give us a good read on who is top 30 and the 6 development players .. thanks
I could not find anywhere that Miski has been signed on a development contract, one spot is left with the five signed Andersen, Weekes, Saddler, S Fainu and Tuitavake.

Maybe he was signed by Blacktown.

Budgewoi Eagle

In for the long haul.
Premium Member
2016 Tipping Competitor
Reaction score
It’s a very strange off season. Am I right that with player movement and injuries, the only spots we are absolutely certain of in Round One 2021 are 1, 7, and 10: Tommy, DCE, and Marty? Was going to put Jake in but his position seems to be up for discussion.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Triggered Boomer”
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, am I correct in saying with the four spots we had that these are effectively now gone??

I did think it was 28, and they always leave one or is it two to bring up others in case of injury in the early season making up the full 30.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Reaction score
So, am I correct in saying with the four spots we had that these are effectively now gone??

I did think it was 28, and they always leave one or is it two to bring up others in case of injury in the early season making up the full 30.

Sadly have to add Titmuss

Shoe1

Reaction score

His problems in defence were when he went the wrong way alongside his second rower and centre (defending in the halves). There is no big problem with his tacking technique. Defending at hooker is simpler than defending at 6 - no decisions to make on going in or out - just go in low and work with your props.

Latest posts

2020 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 20 18 1 1 299 37
2 Storm 20 16 0 4 258 32
3 Eels 20 15 0 5 104 30
4 Roosters 20 14 0 6 230 28
5 Raiders 20 14 0 6 128 28
6 Rabbitohs 20 12 0 8 169 24
7 Knights 20 11 1 8 47 23
8 Sharks 20 10 0 10 0 20
9 Titans 20 9 0 11 -117 18