28 man squad in 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Walker has already been penalised by Manly in that he had to accept a lesser salary if he wanted to stay. Much will depend on the next 12 months and the development of the younger players. If they surpass his skills, he'll look elsewhere. If he remains the best centre we have, and I feel he is at present, then he'll be contracted beyond 2021 when his present contract expires (the bleeding obvious). He may lose a little in speed as he ages, but he'll probably become more skilful, just as most older players do. He's at the peak of his career, if he can stay on the field. Would be embarrassing if he goes elsewhere and makes us rue the loss, just as we feel with Gutherson
Gutherson was a loss, I hated seeing him go. I wouldn't want Walker to go unless we got quality in return, otherwise it is pointless. Suli is also on good money and will need to perform next year if he wants to keep his spot.

What a good, interesting and respectful discussion....so as per brent reeds reference in the foran post, the roster is staying at 30...is that right?

Have you not done stupid things in your youth?

I once broke my leg chasing a woman I was involved with out a door late at night after an minor argument, and after we had both been drinking a little, and slipped on polished tiles. All I was attempting to do was plead with her not to drive because she had been drinking. But I was young and foolish and ended up in plaster for 9 weeks. And yet I'm considered among my peers as one of the most responsible people they know. Even won an award for honesty and integrity.

But we all do things we regret. There have been other incidents, nothing illegal, but poor judgement at the time. I know of no one who hasn't had moments of poor judgement, and I worked as a parole officer, union head and even was training to be a Methodist minister at one stage as well as being responsible over 18 months for over a hundred street teens in emergency accommodation. I knew thousands of people on a very personal level.

We all make judgement errors. If we point the finger at others, we are being hypocritical in that we probably have skeletons in each of our closets. That's what makes us human and helps us to learn. You may probably deny your errors on this forum, but I know of no one who hasn't erred. Walker erred on a few occasions. Allow him the right to learn from those mistakes, and not be crucified indefinitely, if he doesn't repeat those mistakes.

I agree with everything BF

A fans view is looking through the same microscope as an employer
Ive made many mistakes that made me who i am. Everyone close to me can see the benefits and gave me the benefit of the doubt mostly

My employers on the other hand had different outcomes and expectations, and were rarely as understanding as there goal was to squeeze coin out of me. Being in sales with black eyes, a printer with broken bones when training new staff for expansion from playing sport . Its sucked but it was hard not to see there perspective when patience runs out

Two sides

So players definitely gone for next year;

Joel T
Brendan Elliot
Waddell

and likely
Garrick
Trex

and maybe
Jorge
Levi

so that leaves at least 5 to 7 players to come into top 30 with only one Possible newbie In Saab
I wonder if the Hooker stocks are pretty grim out there if Levi mightn't get an extension for a year???

So players definitely gone for next year;

Joel T
Brendan Elliot
Waddell

and likely
Garrick
Trex

and maybe
Jorge
Levi

so that leaves at least 5 to 7 players to come into top 30 with only one Possible newbie In Saab
Further to that wasn't Garrick the swap for Saab, if so you can put him in the top list??

I'd rather a young kid with potential than TRex who has never had one single run anyway.

Think the medical retirement for Jorge is the only way to go otherwise it's 12 months taking up a spot and cap space.....its a sad situation as he's a club great BUT we have games to win.

I agree with everything BF

A fans view is looking through the same microscope as an employer
Ive made many mistakes that made me who i am. Everyone close to me can see the benefits and gave me the benefit of the doubt mostly

My employers on the other hand had different outcomes and expectations, and were rarely as understanding as there goal was to squeeze coin out of me. Being in sales with black eyes, a printer with broken bones when training new staff for expansion from playing sport . Its sucked but it was hard not to see there perspective when patience runs out

Two sides

I can accept what you are saying about employers. Business is business and tolerance is less demonstrated, if the benefits, profits are being damaged. Certainly I would be giving Walker a bit of stick for some elements in his behaviour. And he was through a reduction in his contract payments.

But in the end I would be weighing up his value on the field, which in the end is the primary factor to be considered. Other issues are annoyances, but if he doesn't produce on the field, just as with an employer expecting a work performance that benefits the organisation, then that is the primary factor in determining ongoing employment.

I've also blundered at work, a couple serious. During my younger years I was also shown the door twice. But I lost those jobs through an inability to produce in those roles, not because of blunders. As I mentioned it comes down to utility. If you are useful through your performance, you'll generally hold your position, because that's the primary reason you are employed there. If Walker produces on the field, other factors will generally be handled inhouse, unless the damage caused is just too much to countenance

I reckon you will see the end of Miski and Anderson .... if they haven't made it by now ... with the extra outside backs we have coming .... they are Gonski in my opinion .... time to give their development spots to a couple of kids with more potential .... eg Fainu Jnr ...

I reckon you will see the end of Miski and Anderson .... if they haven't made it by now ... with the extra outside backs we have coming .... they are Gonski in my opinion .... time to give their development spots to a couple of kids with more potential .... eg Fainu Jnr ...

Good chance you're right there Woodsie. Anderson has disappointed. Of course he's had no game time this year but last few years he didn't seem to show the same dynamic form he showed in the juniors. Miski is a smart young player, but unfortunately for him there are some kids that surpass him in skill available to the SEs

I can accept what you are saying about employers. Business is business and tolerance is less demonstrated, if the benefits, profits are being damaged. Certainly I would be giving Walker a bit of stick for some elements in his behaviour. And he was through a reduction in his contract payments.

But in the end I would be weighing up his value on the field, which in the end is the primary factor to be considered. Other issues are annoyances, but if he doesn't produce on the field, just as with an employer expecting a work performance that benefits the organisation, then that is the primary factor in determining ongoing employment.

I've also blundered at work, a couple serious. During my younger years I was also shown the door twice. But I lost those jobs through an inability to produce in those roles, not because of blunders. As I mentioned it comes down to utility. If you are useful through your performance, you'll generally hold your position, because that's the primary reason you are employed there. If Walker produces on the field, other factors will generally be handled inhouse, unless the damage caused is just too much to countenance

Agree agree

Dylans predicament is that he hasnt been able to demonstrate his wares for various reasons. He is also one of those players you love or hate due to his aggresive approach to verbalism. If you mouth off and dont deliver players are seen as cocky. Australians dont always like cocky. Tezza was the classic but he did he back it up. All hail the great tezza who is eerily familiar both on and off field

Even when i played my coach always said. Mouth off if you want. But back it up or eat your boots and walk home nude

I like what you have said about his reduced contract reflecting his current standing but on the forum he will cop societies wrath. Its just the nature of the beast

not many footy clubs turn profit or even break even relying on sponsorship and goodwill through memberships and such so very few players actually pay there way.

Personal accountability is much higher in the NRL as opposed to being a tradie . As are the rewards.

I think there is a good footy player inside walker. He is the kind of player we need right now. Confident / arrogant but through many reasons he hasnt let his footy talk for him . I thought he was going great at 6 this year , kicking aside

Please dont see this as taking a different view as such. Just adding some extra considerations as to his polarising

Agree agree

Dylans predicament is that he hasnt been able to demonstrate his wares for various reasons. He is also one of those players you love or hate due to his aggresive approach to verbalism. If you mouth off and dont deliver players are seen as cocky. Australians dont always like cocky. Tezza was the classic but he did he back it up. All hail the great tezza who is eerily familiar both on and off field

Even when i played my coach always said. Mouth off if you want. But back it up or eat your boots and walk home nude

I like what you have said about his reduced contract reflecting his current standing but on the forum he will cop societies wrath. Its just the nature of the beast

not many footy clubs turn profit or even break even relying on sponsorship and goodwill through memberships and such so very few players actually pay there way.

Personal accountability is much higher in the NRL as opposed to being a tradie . As are the rewards.

I think there is a good footy player inside walker. He is the kind of player we need right now. Confident / arrogant but through many reasons he hasnt let his footy talk for him . I thought he was going great at 6 this year , kicking aside

Please dont see this as taking a different view as such. Just adding some extra considerations as to his polarising

That's all fine. No issues. Though clubs don't make much, if any profit, it is still important to win to get the fans through the gate and encourage sponsors, who do benefit to a degree through advertising. Love or hate him, he is a player who produces when he's on the field, and supporters, like with all players, go to see skill and to love or hate them. Players who engender little emotion from the audience, are not doing their job.

That's all fine. No issues. Though clubs don't make much, if any profit, it is still important to win to get the fans through the gate and encourage sponsors, who do benefit to a degree through advertising. Love or hate him, he is a player who produces when he's on the field, and supporters, like with all players, go to see skill and to love or hate them. Players who engender little emotion from the audience, are not doing their job.

I wouldnt cut him. Your right he is an entertainer

1 Tom Trbojevic
2 Jason Saab +
3 Tevita Funa
4 Morgan Harper (gk)
5 Moses Suli
6 Josh Schuster
7 Daly Cherry-Evans
8 Addin Fonua-Blake
9 Nathaniel Roache +
10 Martin Taupau
11 Billy Magoulias +
12 Curtis Sironen
13 Jake Trbojevic

14 Cade Cust
15 Haumole Olakau'atu
16 Sean Keppie
17 Taniela Paseka

18 Albert Hopoate (surely no one will beat our 250k?)
19 Jack Gosiewski
20 Ray Stone +
21 Brad Parker (signed, no one will take him)
22 Zac Saddler
23 Tofoafofa Sipley (signed, no one will take him)
24 Keith Titmuss
25 Alfred Smalley
26 Sione Fainu
27 Manase Fainu (jail, hopefully free July 2021, will he count in 28?)
28 Lachlan Croker (signed, no one will take him)
Development: Koula, Trbojevic, Weekes, Pythian, Miski

Sold: Surely someone would take Boyle?, Walker (free cash), Thompson (ESL), Taufua (straight released from contract), Elliott (ESL), Metcalfe (unsigned ... any faith from Des? I would keep him) Levi (would rather him than Croker for depth, but is unsigned and no one will take Croker), Garrick (swap deal), Williams, Waddell

Signed: Saab, Stone (Eels, 2row cover, better than Gos), Roache (not getting a warriors contract, very underrated player), Magoulias (out of favour sharks, underrated)

I would happily keep Walker. But if it means we sign a couple good young second rowers I'd be keen to let him go to the Dogs.

1 Tom Trbojevic
2 Jason Saab +
3 Tevita Funa
4 Morgan Harper (gk)
5 Moses Suli
6 Josh Schuster
7 Daly Cherry-Evans
8 Addin Fonua-Blake
9 Nathaniel Roache +
10 Martin Taupau
11 Billy Magoulias +
12 Curtis Sironen
13 Jake Trbojevic

14 Cade Cust
15 Haumole Olakau'atu
16 Sean Keppie
17 Taniela Paseka

18 Albert Hopoate (surely no one will beat our 250k?)
19 Jack Gosiewski
20 Ray Stone +
21 Brad Parker (signed, no one will take him)
22 Zac Saddler
23 Tofoafofa Sipley (signed, no one will take him)
24 Keith Titmuss
25 Alfred Smalley
26 Sione Fainu
27 Manase Fainu (jail, hopefully free July 2021, will he count in 28?)
28 Lachlan Croker (signed, no one will take him)
Development: Koula, Trbojevic, Weekes, Pythian, Miski

Sold: Surely someone would take Boyle?, Walker (free cash), Thompson (ESL), Taufua (straight released from contract), Elliott (ESL), Metcalfe (unsigned ... any faith from Des? I would keep him) Levi (would rather him than Croker for depth, but is unsigned and no one will take Croker), Garrick (swap deal), Williams, Waddell

Signed: Saab, Stone (Eels, 2row cover, better than Gos), Roache (not getting a warriors contract, very underrated player), Magoulias (out of favour sharks, underrated)

I would happily keep Walker. But if it means we sign a couple good young second rowers I'd be keen to let him go to the Dogs.
You'll need two more players. It will remain a 30 man squad.

28 next year for Manly with contracted players Jorge and Fainu out for almost the whole year.
If it drops to 28 we are down to 26.

Next year is really a watershed year for this club. If we don't make top 4 then there is major problems going forward with any long term success or even Manly's future. 1/3 salary cap tied up on 3 players who aren't giving that value. Losing top players and replacing them with duds year on year recently.
Croker, Levi, Elliot, Parker, Waddell, Gosiewski, Garrick, Cust, Suli, Keppie. These are not top 4 team players. They're bottom 4 / reserve graders. We have to cull the deadwood and build a team like the Panthers have done. But it can't be some 5 year plan. Memberships will decline quicker than you can blink if the same mediocrity happens next year with the same squad of plodders. Des legacy is now tarnishing by the week after the Dogs fiasco and now where we sit. The new generation must be given preference now and into next year or we will lose more quality players.

NoPlayer
1​
Tom Trbojevic
2​
Jason Saab
3​
Tevita Funa
4​
Dylan Walker
5​
Moses Suli
6​
Josh Schuster
7​
Daly Cherry-Evans
8​
Taniela Paseka
9​
Jazz Tevaga
10​
Martin Taupau
11​
Curtis Sironen
12​
Luke Garner
13​
Jake Trbojevic
14​
Cade Cust
15​
Haumole Olakau'atu
16​
Sean Keppie
17​
Ray Stone
18​
Albert Hopoate
19​
Brad Parker
20​
Zac Saddler
21​
Morgan Harper
22​
Sione Fainu
23​
Manase Fainu
24​
Keith Titmuss
25​
Jack Gosiewski
26​
Lachlan Croker
27​
Jorge Taufua
28​
Toafofoa Sipley
D1Kaeo Weekes
D2Tolu Koula
D3Ben Trbojevic
D4Luke Metcalf
D5Alfred Smalley

Gosi, Parker, Croker and Taufua will be hard to get rid of. They're contracted next year and probably will stay.

With AFB going, sign Garner and Tevaga, roughly 850k. Ray Stone from Eeels would provide good depth as he can play both front row and 2row. Try get rid of Boyle, Sipley seems to be loved by the boys so hold onto him.

Interesting list there Matai. Be interesting if they hold onto Metcalf, given he's off contract. Would like to see Burbo in the 30 given he's already been in the Development Squad this year (even though he hasn't played), but from what I've heard he's just about ready for first grade...maybe early 2021. Noted you are as disappointed by Anderson as I am..could'a been a contenda.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4