2020 hooker (and Fainu disc.)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cust or Croker for hooker 2020 if Nas is out

• Cust

Votes: 47 32.4%
  • Crocker

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Zach Dockar-Clay

• Fainu

• Levi

Votes: 50 34.5%

• Total voters
I get the feeling that it will either be Cust (most likely given his past in the position) or Croker who gets first crack at hooker next year rather than the club just looking to bring someone else in.

From things I have heard, they were the ones in line to take over the vacant bench hooker/utility spot anyway.

Docker-Clay might be a shot, but given that Cust and Croker have actual first grade experience and he doesn't, I think internally at least he would probably be 3rd cab off the rank.

One thing that should be remembered. The hooker has to work in well with the halves and probably fullback (i.e. DCE, Walker and Tom) so Des will probably want someone who knows their and the teams style of play rather than someone who has to basically learn it from scratch. And if that is the case then Cust and Croker are the logical choices.
ZDC has NRL experience,he played NRL for the Panthers (I will self edit here,memory tells me he played NRL for them but other sources say not,might have been trial matches I saw))before heading off to the ESL where he has more games than Cust and Croker combined.I believe he was close to being given a development contract or higher when we had some injuries with Api and Fainu earlier in the year.I don't know what Des would want or what the outcome will be but I think we will be alright,a lot of water under the bridge before the year even gets serious.I also believe he was one of a handful of players who trained the whole of last offseason and during the year with the contracted players so he would probably be up to speed with Des gameplans.

Last edited:
ZDC has NRL experience,he played NRL for the Panthers (I will self edit here,memory tells me he played NRL for them but other sources say not,might have been trial matches I saw))before heading off to the ESL where he has more games than Cust and Croker combined.I believe he was close to being given a development contract or higher when we had some injuries with Api and Fainu earlier in the year.I don't know what Des would want or what the outcome will be but I think we will be alright,a lot of water under the bridge before the year even gets serious.I also believe he was one of a handful of players who trained the whole of last offseason and during the year with the contracted players so he would probably be up to speed with Des gameplans.

Hickory dickory dock.....the mouse ran up the clock.....the clock struck one.... and down he run....... Hickory dickory dock. I think the clock has just struck one for ZDC. Anyone who saw this kid play at Blacktown will be in no doubt he will be our # 9 next year. Cust / Croker will make for a great utility / backup on the bench. Three great options in any case. One door closes....another 3 open up!!

ps. hope some of you older brigade on here can still remember that great nursery rhyme.

In Des we trust. I will leave it on him, Ballin and co to overcome this latest obstacle. My first preference would be to promote from within the club and if Nas comes back then it will an added bonus.

Yeah I like that plan , also doesn’t affect our salary cap.

Although I note today on Twitter one of my followers , a Manly fan who happens to be a Barrister, suggests that if it proceeds to district court ( we’ll know that in December) that it’s unlikely to be heard until late 2020, SO, it’s almost guaranteed Fainu won’t play in 2020.

Hickory dickory dock.....the mouse ran up the clock.....the clock struck one.... and down he run....... Hickory dickory dock. I think the clock has just struck one for ZDC. Anyone who saw this kid play at Blacktown will be in no doubt he will be our # 9 next year. Cust / Croker will make for a great utility / backup on the bench. Three great options in any case. One door closes....another 3 open up!!

ps. hope some of you older brigade on here can still remember that great nursery rhyme.

My Mum used to read me all those as a kid, probably can remember the words to most!!

@Lyonstomenzies

can you adjust your original poll to add ZDC in as an option and then I’ll vote.

I think he’s the most likely at this stage unless Des decides to buy experience.

IF and thats a big IF we are forced to play someone else then Levi has to be the man. Cust croker and clay will all play this year even if we do sign Levi. No way in the world we lose api, hodko, elgey and fainu and only add clay as a ball playing option. 100% we will sign a hooker IF fainu is unavailable

Can anyone give any sort of guesstimate on the potential court proceedings?
Regardless of how things play out this will be our biggest problem. If Manase is innocent could this whole thing drag out in the same way as DeBellin's and essentially rule him out for over a season. Also if the club holds the belief that he is innocent until proven otherwise (as they must) then how can they possibly sign another 9 who is good enough to start and is willing to sign on a temporary basis?
As sad as it is I think we are stuck with Cust, Croker or Docker Clay (or whoever the club had planned to sign as a bench 9).

Hi MuzztheEagle, hope you are well. It is very difficult to give a clear cut answer because it totally depends on what legal representative you engage, court schedules, and what sort of case the prosecution has against Manise. The scenarios are several.

If the case was to run without any variables after Manise receives the brief of evidence there would be a committal hearing, this can take anywhere from 3 - 9 months generally, after the brief is received. Depending on your counsel they may be able to expedite the time frame (silks and QC's are good at doing this). At the committal, if it is found that the prosecution do not have enough evidence to secure a conviction the matter can be thrown out of court and life goes on generally speaking (apart from maybe suing the state for malicious prosecution, if the individual wishes to go down that path).

However, there is nothing stopping counsel in submitting a writ into the Supreme Court for unlawful detention of Manise, especially if, like he states, there is cause for mistaken identity. This will generally bring the incarcerated individual before the courts and out of gaol. This has the potential to speed up the process immensely

I am still a little confused on the grounds the Magistrate gave to refuse bail to Manese, which I have no doubt should be challenged. Refusing bail because there is a suspicion (yes suspicion) that an individual may be part of, or deal with, an islander criminal gang is a bit rich in my humble opinion. He could be suspected of being part of a satanic group, but unless they have convictions as evidence, then, there may be strong grounds to overturn the refusal of bail by the Magistrate.

Last edited:
The media are hard to follow as they make so many BS stories, that they are totally different after a while....
There was a claim he "handed himself in" as in confessing to being guilty...this would then be basically a shut case.
If however he went in to the police to simply state he was at the scene, but did not commit the crime, that is not "handing himself in"....more claiming innocence.
Must there be some sort of evidence or witnesses for the police to have held him ?
I'm sure I read that Manese handed himself in after he was contacted by Police. He is reported to have said something like: "the phone call was the first I'd heard that I'd been implicated in the incident".

Hasler must look around and think ‘why was Verrills allowed to leave?’

Or ‘why is one of our very best junior backline products of the last 25 years, on the verge of Australian selection, but from the Eels?’

Or ‘which dickhead/s allowed that to happen, especially when Gutherson was already re-signed for 2016 and beyond?’
Who did his knee twice.

Manase has heaps of time and ability to link with DCE and the turbos. He will be missed. But if your looking for someone to step up Cust is your man. Good defender robust and has passing better than Koroisau. It will be okay. I’d like to see a stat on points scored with API and without from last season. He was a goer and a fan of opposition teams because of his tenacity but I think the team lacked creative impetus when he was on the field. Let’s hope it all works out. It’s a tough life for some of the players we get from the western suburbs so nets lot judge them too hardly. This site is renowned for the articulate posts compared to other fan forums and I guess that speaks to the fact that a lot of us had a better/less challenging upbringing but having read a few of the articles I could find about fainu today he did well to get to where he was. Wish all the best for him but if he was in a shoulder brace and stabbed someone I can’t imagine it was mistaken identity.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8