2018 Top 30 Squad

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Warning: rant
Man I wish we could release dce. Nothing against him personally. 10 mil deal over 8 years was the worst decision we ever made. I said it the day it happened and I’m saying it now. He brought his bestie dead weight nate over for 1.8 over 3 years. Maybe the only signing worst than dce. Everyone saying Hastings is toxic. Dce is on a 10 mil contract, and he is disobeying the coach and going out on the piss, blue with another player. Old senior group Stewart’s, matai etc obviously hated him. Why is no one questioning him? We need to sign another half to complement his style... I just think we made a horrible mistake the day we signed him on a 10 mil deal.

A players' spot in the top 30 spot isn't transferable. If such a player leaves he still takes up that spot.

That's why Mr Plod and Darcy are still taking up 2 spots. Same if Hastings is gotten rid of..he will still take up that spot in the 30.

Same as last year with our stars taking up spots but never playing a game.
Your top 30 is based on your wage bill basically, your top 30 players are pretty much the top 30 contracts that you are paying - save for a few technicalities around minimum wages and development player contracts etc.

If a player leaves and we are no longer paying their contract then they aren't in our top 30 any more. If a player leaves and we are still paying some of their freight and it's a significant enough amount then they can still be counted in top 30. Then you have completely unfathomable situations like Nate Myles where you are paying him a contract and he is not even forced to come and sweep out the dressing sheds. I'd love to know who the moron was that agreed to that. I believe Darcy was released and he is no longer on our "books" so he isn't taking up a top 30 spot - that's the way I read it.

I also believe it is complicated somewhat by the fact that the NRL contract year starts and finishes in November, so by this time of the season we have paid out 50% of most contracts so it's harder to realise salary cap savings by releasing players at this stage. I stand to be corrected on that fact though.

Have a look at the last post in the contracts thread - there's a couple of explanations there.

https://silvertails.net/threads/mwse-squad-contract-status.47574/page-2

We could possibly free up a spot by releasing Hastings I suppose, presuming we can shift him on at no cost to us. But I don't know whether the Suli upgrade means we only have one spot we are allowed to fill before June 30, so releasing Hastings may only give us some possible extra cash to spend on that last player - not necessarily another free spot in the 30.

Last edited:
According to the MWSE website we now, with Suli, have 28 players. Mr Plod is not included.
Can someone clarify?
Obviously the club is too embarrassed to list Mr Plod if he is, indeed, still on our roster one season after retiring.

Your top 30 is based on your wage bill basically, your top 30 players are pretty much the top 30 contracts that you are paying - save for a few technicalities around minimum wages and development player contracts etc.

If a player leaves and we are no longer paying their contract then they aren't in our top 30 any more. If a player leaves and we are still paying some of their freight and it's a significant enough amount then they can still be counted in top 30. Then you have completely unfathomable situations like Nate Myles where you are paying him a contract and he is not even forced to come and sweep out the dressing sheds. I'd love to know who the moron was that agreed to that. I believe Darcy was released and he is no longer on our "books" so he isn't taking up a top 30 spot - that's the way I read it.

I also believe it is complicated somewhat by the fact that the NRL contract year starts and finishes in November, so by this time of the season we have paid out 50% of most contracts so it's harder to realise salary cap savings by releasing players at this stage. I stand to be corrected on that fact though.

Have a look at the last post in the contracts thread - there's a couple of explanations there.

https://silvertails.net/threads/mwse-squad-contract-status.47574/page-2

We could possibly free up a spot by releasing Hastings I suppose, presuming we can shift him on at no cost to us. But I don't know whether the Suli upgrade means we only have one spot we are allowed to fill before June 30, so releasing Hastings may only give us some possible extra cash to spend on that last player - not necessarily another free spot in the 30.
Correct.
Say lussick was on 400k and he leaves mid yr, that means we paid him 200k. 200k is more than enough to be one of our top 30 paid...
Hastings is apparently on roughly 350k this yr so even if we release him we would have already paid him enough to be included in our top 30 all year so would not be replaced. We have 1 spot to fill regardless if players are let go now. But yes it does free up extra cash to possibly forward pay some contracts

Hodkinson rounds out top 30 - add he and Suli to the list on post 1

For those throwing up myriad suggestions for api’s replacement please consider that neither Fainu not lussick are in the squad. So unless we get dispensation from nrl they won’t be playing. Unlikely to get any consideration given we have two hooking options in brown and Hastings available to us.

For those throwing up myriad suggestions for api’s replacement please consider that neither Fainu not lussick are in the squad. So unless we get dispensation from nrl they won’t be playing. Unlikely to get any consideration given we have two hooking options in brown and Hastings available to us.
I can already feel Lewis, skulking in disguise, pretending to be someone else as he enters through the left door.

Would be good if we can release Brown before 30 June and upgrade Fainu into the 30.

The good news is that after fielding our 28th player this year we are still capable of winning games ... that is a huge tick of approval to the quality of our depth and the coaching staff ....

The bad news is that where can we go from here ..... if Funa is part of our top 30 as some have stated ... and Myles and D. Lussick are still on our books or counted in our top 30 as others have stated .... that's 31 players ....

If we wish to bring Fainu up ... that is 32 players ....

If want to get anybody pre June 30th .... are we fooked ????

Does anybody really know or are we all just guessing like me ....

As I pointed out a few days ago Doesn'tmatta has 32 players listed in its NRL squad. It was stated by a fellow Silvertails poster that a club has to have a minimum of 30 players listed, so apparently it doesn't matter how man players, after 30, you have provided you are still under the salary cap.

I am quite stunned that the club have not come out and stated very clearly what the squad position is.

Its been said many times that people at the club read these forums.

So here's a message to them - none of your fans have any idea what the hell is going on with the top 30 player squad! Just make a statement saying "Manly at this point in time have x number of players in the top squad, which means we have scope for either no further players to be added, or alternatively - we can put x more players into the squad"

Not that difficult.

Nobody knows as it's all at the whim of Greenturd :mad:

Manly should release a statement about Myles and Lussick rumoured to be on the roster :wait:

Club possibly playing its cards close to its chest to keep others clubs in the dark re our situation ?

Well bugger me for being a dope ...... thanks Who ...... but maybe that rule is only for this week .... not that it is like the NRL to change things .....

The club should make it clearer but basically our squad of 30 includes Myles and Lussick as we are paying them. Trent and Suli took us from 28 to 30.

For development players outside the 30 ( there are five or 6 of them including Fainu and J Lussick) we need to prove we have no one available in that position for them to play.Hastings and Brown would thus rule Fainu out.

You can use players outside of the 30 man squad but it comes off your development list cap from what I understand. And I think you need some sort of NRL approval to use them, so if you have fit players in your primary squad then you have to use them.

I've merged this thread with the 30 man squad thread. The full list is on page 1 of this thread - granted that it's based on an article - so not official but for want of better info it should be close.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4