2018 Top 30 Squad

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The article about Cletus at least solves one mystery of sorts - who exactly is in our top 30 squad for this year - as per details in this article (click HERE for link) our top 30 squad was 29 strong until Lussick was released and now stands as the following 28 players - UPDATED 21/05/18 for full 30 man squad - updated 29/06/18 - Hastings out, Fainu in

Lewis Brown
Daly Cherry-Evans
Lachlan Croker
Manase Fainu
Addin Fonua-Blake
Tevita Funa
Jack Gosiewski
Jackson Hastings
Trent Hodkinson
Brian Kelly
Api Koroisau
Shaun Lane
Nate Myles*
Brad Parker
Taniela Paseka
Lloyd Perrett
Toff Sipley
Curtis Sironen
Moses Suli
Kelepi Tanginoa
Jorge Taufua
Martin Taupau
Joel Thompson
Jake Trbojevic
Tom Trbojevic
Aquila Uate
Dylan Walker
Frank Winterstein
Jono Wright
Matthew Wright
Tom Wright

We may upgrade a development contract or two for the last two spots or look to the broader market before June 30. So keep the above in mind when posting YARTS from now on. I'm surprised Joey Lussick isn't in that list as we are very skinny in the halves.

Development players - Anderson, Fainu, Lussick, Metcalfe and Schuster.

[* No matter how many times I look at it I still can't believe that Nate Myles is in that list - unf'nbelievable]

Last edited:
Didn't realise Funa is in the squad and forgot Miles takes up a spot, so I thought we only had 26.

We are banking on Suli being an upgrade with the application being lodged a week or so ago.

I'm holding the other spot for Carney.@:cool:

The article about Cletus at least solves one mystery of sorts - who exactly is in our top 30 squad for this year - as per details in this article (click HERE for link) our top 30 squad was 29 strong until Lussick was released and now stands as the following 28 players

Lewis Brown
Daly Cherry-Evans
Lachlan Croker
Addin Fonua-Blake
Tevita Funa
Jack Gosiewski
Jackson Hastings
Brian Kelly
Api Koroisau
Shaun Lane
Nate Myles*
Brad Parker
Taniela Paseka
Lloyd Perrett
Toff Sipley
Curtis Sironen
Kelepi Tanginoa
Jorge Taufua
Martin Taupau
Joel Thompson
Jake Trbojevic
Tom Trbojevic
Aquila Uate
Dylan Walker
Frank Winterstein
Jono Wright
Matthew Wright
Tom Wright

We may upgrade a development contract or two for the last two spots or look to the broader market before June 30. So keep the above in mind when posting YARTS from now on. I'm surprised Joey Lussick isn't in that list as we are very skinny in the halves.

[* No matter how many times I look at it I still can't believe that Nate Myles is in that list - unf'nbelievable]
Is there another sport, anywhere in the world, where a player who retired from another club a year ago must be counted in the salary cap of his previous club the following year?
The NRL is a complete joke.
While I'm at it, is there another sport that has rule changes every single year?

Is there another sport, anywhere in the world, where a player who retired from another club a year ago must be counted in the salary cap of his previous club the following year?
While I'm at it, is there another sport that has rule changes every single year?
To be fair this would be from something the club did not the NRL (most likely a back ended contract which he still feels owed - and was most likely part of his release last year)

Plus from memory Myles was miffed about something when he left, and we don't want any disgruntled characters around the joint, whether fit to play or not. Same deal as with Snake & Matai.

Formula 1 maybe :think:

Geez once you remove Myles and Sironen that squad is a joke.

Talk about 20% of the squad consuming 80% of the cap is spot on.

It's a recipe for disaster. Maybe Bob s wife Margaret would know more about those things. :)

We should have been able to survive the salary cap drama if we had not had to carry the plodder and had not signed jono and the poo

Well, Lussick, Myles, J Wright, Brown, Hastings, Uate may all be off the roster next season, which would open up quite a lot, and that doesn't include the cap increase. Next season, I'm hoping:

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Brian Kelly
04. Dylan Walker
05. Moses Suli
06. NEW RECRUIT
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Addin Fonua-Blake
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Marty Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. NEW RECRUIT
15. Kelepi Tanginoa
16. Shaun Lane
17. Lloyd Perrett

Suggestions
X Albert Kelly
X Manase Fainu

We had 2 spots to fill before and were granted an extension but Lussick has gone so who took his place?

Could it be the NRL are making us pay for Myles but cannot count him as a player and therefore need to fit 31 salaries under the reduced cap?

Well, Lussick, Myles, J Wright, Brown, Hastings, Uate may all be off the roster next season, which would open up quite a lot, and that doesn't include the cap increase. Next season, I'm hoping:

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Brian Kelly
04. Dylan Walker
05. Moses Suli
06. NEW RECRUIT
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Addin Fonua-Blake
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Marty Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. NEW RECRUIT
15. Kelepi Tanginoa
16. Shaun Lane
17. Lloyd Perrett

Suggestions
X Albert Kelly
X Manase Fainu
06. Aiden Sezer/Albert Kelly
14. Manase Fainu

We had 2 spots to fill before and were granted an extension but Lussick has gone so who took his place?

Could it be the NRL are making us pay for Myles but cannot count him as a player and therefore need to fit 31 salaries under the reduced cap?
I can only assume Thompson wasn't officially registered until they completed their stitch up salary cap investigation.

Why does the NRL restrict a squad to 30? If a club can assemble a squad of 40 or 50 players that are under the cap why can't they?
In most seasons there are clubs that use more than 30 players. I don't understand imposing this artificial number 30.

Yes unfortunately what many on here overlook is we just have a pretty average roster, with few value deals and zero depth.

I dare say other than DCE and Jake not a single player would make our 2011 Grand Final lineup.

Marty would have played for sure and probably AFB even if they were bench props

Yes unfortunately what many on here overlook is we just have a pretty average roster, with few value deals and zero depth.

I dare say other than DCE and Jake not a single player would make our 2011 Grand Final lineup.
What do you mean few value deals? I like our cheapies better than most. Tangles was awesome till he got hurt. Sironen we got on the cheap and will now have to pay cause he’s revived his career. Shaun lane we got on the cheap. Afb is not on huge bucks considering he leads the league in post contact meters. I thought paseka showed plenty on the weekend. Uate this year has been bad but last year he was good for barely any coin. Matt wright wouldn’t be on much and is pretty damn serviceable in a number of positions. Brian Kelly is a pretty good centre for a couple of hundred grand a year. If you take out the dead money from our cap plus the fact we were under by a fair way and let us buy 2-3 200-300 grand players suddenly we look pretty lethal. We’re in a hole now through injury, salary cap crap and a couple of dud contracts on the books but I always think the media overhypes problems. And they don’t actually know our cap situation. Doom and gloom gets clicks though

Why does the NRL restrict a squad to 30? If a club can assemble a squad of 40 or 50 players that are under the cap why can't they?
In most seasons there are clubs that use more than 30 players. I don't understand imposing this artificial number 30.
I think it’s used as a minimum not a maximum. The idea being so that a team doesn’t try to run the gauntlet and only contract 20 players that are all paid more. I don’t think there is anything stopping you having more it’s just that most clubs would want to carry as few non playing contracts as possible

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8