1977 Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Ah it's late now I'll look again tomorrow

As a teenager in the 70's, I would leave home (Belmore), train, ferry and bus to Brooky, watch 3 grades, return trip, hot chips at Manly Wharf, they were the best at the time and get home in time to watch Rex's wrap up in the news and then the Channel 7 match. Sometimes able to watch SportsAction/SportsWorld in the morning and watch all of the highlights of last weeks games.
I used to do the same except from Hurstville

Wow some great footy Phil Lowe, Steve Norten were terrific players although Lowe had hands like feet at times.

Wow some great footy Phil Lowe, Steve Norten were terrific players although Lowe had hands like feet at times.

Wasn't turning his body into the ball ... was trying to catch it too side on. I fixed the problem for him.

He left at the end of '76.

And there was no media & fans moaning about imaginary clashes of jersey colours ruining their life.

Manly in white played plenty of other teams in most white jerseys like Dragons, Canterbury & Penrith. And no one ever thought it was a problem or difficult.

And there was no media & fans moaning about imaginary clashes of jersey colours ruining their life.

Manly in white played plenty of other teams in most white jerseys like Dragons, Canterbury & Penrith. And no one ever thought it was a problem or difficult.

But the clash of colours was the reason a reverse away strip was introduced. The Dragons got a free pass to always wear the red V because it was considered iconic.

I don't know when the riff started to wear white, and green, black orange and tangerine for that matter but back in the day it was just brown, which on the muddy fields of old looked like every other team by half time.

Miss that old style footy when players ran to the line and offloaded and always looked to attack in their sets. Manly were great at it too! Bozo, Eadie and the boys scoring long range tries...awesome

Thanks again @eagle66 for the great footage and memories - excellent stuff!

The attacking mindset and support play epitomised Manly.

I'm interested to know what some of the younger supporters think of the style of play from that time? @Turbo1 @Harry Smith

I'm interested to know what some of the younger supporters think of the style of play from that time? @Turbo1 @Harry Smith
Love it, plays we so deep however that allowed for the defence to be broken apart easily with players rushing up/some holding back. Plenty of inside passes as well of which I'm a huge fan of, catches everyone by surprise, nice to see turbos doing it at the moment with us.

I think we will see this style incorporated more in future years where everyone is playing so flat but one successful team will have a deeper attack, other teams will follow suite. It's the cycle of sport, adapting to the times and changing things up. Canterbury have been a side that simply can't change things up and as seen, it was successful back a few years, however as sides began adapting it stopped working against sides

Changing of styles and techniques is what keeps a game interesting

I love the older style of play, it looks so much cleaner and simpler than what the game is like today. This old manly style reminds of what manly is this year, everyone backing up, support from the play makers.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10
10 5 5 -13 10