1977 Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
thanks-for-the-memories-750x410.jpg

Seriously wow. 1977 vs saints. Anyone who questions whether krilich would make it today, or whether eadie was our best number 1, or whether gartner was quicksilver please be referred to this footage forevermore.

Saints were not a crap team in 77 btw. Premiers from memory.

Last edited:
Manly v Newtown

Where are these clips from originally? Serious deja vu from this one.

When the newtown number 4 makes a break memories flooded back. I know I was there at this game with my parents sitting on the southern hill. I would have been 8. The fumbling after the goal kick too. I remember people around me yelling at Alan Thomson. What a trip to see this footage.

Last edited:

When the newtown number 4 makes a break memories flooded back. I know I was there at this game with my parents sitting on the southern hill. I would have been 8. The fumbling after the goal kick too. I remember people around me yelling at Alan Thomson. What a trip to see this footage.
I collect footy footage and have a reasonable amount. Always good to go back and have alook when people remember past players.

I'll put a few more on tomorrow night with some clips from 1976

I collect footy footage and have a reasonable amount. Always good to go back and have alook when people remember past players.

Thanks @eagle66 in fact maybe @Dan can suggest a way we could have a bit of history video archive as part of Silvertails... links to snippets of old video plus maybe some commentary that we could write about the context of those games etc, something that might be added to over time.
Every now and then someone posts a link to some old footage but it would be amazing to have it easily locatable in one spot?!

Thanks @eagle66 in fact maybe @Dan can suggest a way we could have a bit of history video archive as part of Silvertails... links to snippets of old video plus maybe some commentary that we could write about the context of those games etc, something that might be added to over time.
Every now and then someone posts a link to some old footage but it would be amazing to have it easily locatable in one spot?!

Great idea, remind me tomorrow please and email me and ping me so my brain doesn't forget

Love seeing footage from that era, especially 3 of my favourite players, Johnny Gibbs, Graham Eadie, and Russell Gartner.
It was a shame injury curtailed Gibbsy's career as he had blinding acceleration and was thrilling to watch in full flight with the head back and his little legs pumping.

dont you just love how open and free flowing the game was then - sweeping backline moves, plenty of space to be creative around the ruck. watch today's games by comparison and you can see how we have suffocated and strangled the life out of the game.
The ironic thing there is this was back in the 5m rule days. We've got twice that now but no real improvement it seems, thanks mainly to better defences and the prevalence of the "wrestle".

Do you remember the score?

Attachments

• MvN77.PNG
    MvN77.PNG
    11.8 KB · Views: 10
One of the great tragedies was the taping over of most of the early Amco cup highlights.
The 1st, won by western division, has absolutely no footage at all because the tape was used to film number 96 or something.
That was how they did it back then.
If only they knew.
I have heard that the league is buying all the old footage off the networks to keep in the archives and hopefully release.

I'd love NRL administrators, coaches and referees to study some of these past matches.
They will notice that the tackler gets off the player and allows him time and space to rise and play the ball. There is no hand on the ball, no crowding, no pushing, no overstepping the mark... all of which are a blight on the current sport. As a result there are no penalties for these tactics, thus producing a much more interesting spectacle.
I knew I was enjoying RL less in these days of wrestling, mass tackling and constant penalties. These old videos have proven why. The game I loved watching is nowhere near as entertaining as it once was.

Reading the comments in Enablers v Match Winners and all of the love for Ian Martin, got me searching some games back then. Here are some great footage from 1977.

Manly V St George
How good was that video....... great to see my childhood hero Wombat get a a few.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8