Manly Centres 2018

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I wouldnt be looking elsewhere for a position in the backs, if Moylan isnt available. We have young talented players vying for the wing and centre positions and I believe at least one or two will make it. If we go off and buy an established centre we'll lose what we have coming through. I suspect Walker will start off with Kelly. I can see Tom Wright taking a wing position and if Kelly isnt handling centre as well as we want he and Wright will switch position. Parker to me is an ideal No 14 in the Brown style, only better. He could handle both forwards and backs, and therefore would be ideal if we lose someone from the team during a match.

I wouldnt be looking elsewhere for a position in the backs, if Moylan isnt available. We have young talented players vying for the wing and centre positions and I believe at least one or two will make it. If we go off and buy an established centre we'll lose what we have coming through. I suspect Walker will start off with Kelly. I can see Tom Wright taking a wing position and if Kelly isnt handling centre as well as we want he and Wright will switch position. Parker to me is an ideal No 14 in the Brown style, only better. He could handle both forwards and backs, and therefore would be ideal if we lose someone from the team during a match.
We are pretty good with depth in the backs.

M Wright (Fullback, Wing, Centre)
J Wright (Wing, Centre)
T Wright (Fullback, Wing, Centre, Five-Eight, Halfback)
Funa (Wing, Centre)
Anderson (Fullback, Wing)
Parker (Fullback, Wing, Centre)

Matty Wright is a good fullback replacement, however, he is probably too slow for centre/wing.

2018 Centres would have to be
Brown and Kelly .
Brown for his valuable experience and Kelly for his enormous potential .
With the Brown/Kelly combination we would arguably have the most consistent performing and dynamic centre pairing in the NRL.
Brown and Kelly have revolutionised the centre position . They have both proven that to be the stars that they are they don't need superior size and power and speed to consistently make their mark in every game
At their best these two make all the other centres look pedestrian.

2018 Centres would have to be
Brown and Kelly .
Brown for his valuable experience and Kelly for his enormous potential .
With the Brown/Kelly combination we would arguably have the most consistent performing and dynamic centre pairing in the NRL.
Brown and Kelly have revolutionised the centre position . They have both proven that to be the stars that they are they don't need superior size and power and speed to consistently make their mark in every game
At their best these two make all the other centres look pedestrian.
Is this a gee up or what lol?

Have we signed any of the under 20s to contracts for 2018 & beyond ?? I Know the young hooker signed for the next few years he would be good replacement for Api, Id like to see Funa Take Taufua spot on the wing plus he is a decent goal kicker

A mate of mine from Taree told me today that he was talking to his besty , Latrell Mitchells dad . He told him Brian Kelly will be one of the best centres in the game next season . I said ur joking and he said that he was fair dink and that with an off season he will be right up there with the best . I asked him how does he know so much about kelly, latrell and kelly played in the rep sides together and are good mates . Some have big wraps on the young bloke .

Kelly is just 21 years old. He has achieved a lot in his first full season at NRL level. Why would some of you think that he won't continue to improve?
Yeah he will make a few on here eat humble pie I reckon. Another off season coupled with the clarity of knowing what’s required after playing this year will give him a real shot. He’s got beautiful footwork and good skills. Plus he’s nowhere near as slow as some people are making him out to be.

Kelly is just 21 years old. He has achieved a lot in his first full season at NRL level. Why would some of you think that he won't continue to improve?
Some maybe and i although not as vocal, probably were a little disappointed with some of his performances but at the end of the day he is a raw kid and had some massive shoes to fill . Its another year under his belt and will be better for the run next season.

Putting the Kelly is just 21 years of age in perspective .....
Walker is 22 years of age and at just 20 he played for Australia .
We all have different of opinions based on what we see from players and what I saw from Walker at 20 years of age tearing teams apart was not what I saw from Kelly at 21.
For those comparing Matai to Kelly as a late bloomer . Matai represented NZ at 22.
What I saw from the youth of Matai and Walker I don't see in Kelly .
Nothing personal on Kelly or against the Kelly lovers on here . This is just my opinion and we are all entitled to that .

Last edited:
Yeah he will make a few on here eat humble pie I reckon. Another off season coupled with the clarity of knowing what’s required after playing this year will give him a real shot. He’s got beautiful footwork and good skills. Plus he’s nowhere near as slow as some people are making him out to be.
The qualities that make a great centre in the modern game are Size strength and Speed and if you are a ballerina with just footwork you can only go so far
from being a genuine star
Time will tell Kevin who will eat humble pie and If I am wrong I would be glad to taste the biggest piece and wash it down with a cold guinness .

Parker for mine. Can't recall any negative comments when he filled that spot, and without being injured would have continued. He just looks solid and having a balance of a no frills solid centre with a flamboyant centre like Walker on the other side just makes sense. Not anti Kelly, and sure he will improve, but the mistakes were there for all to see.

Think Parker showed enormous potential this year. Great defensive centre and he's a big fella with decent pace. Not sure how or why people are still putting kelly ahead of him. Kelly had one good game where he was MOM against the Panthers but was horrible from round 4 onwards. Parker came in, did a great job until that dropped ball/injury run against the tigers. Parker surely is ahead of the two. Happy to be proven wrong but everyone needs to stop saying 'he's only 21'... How many freaks are there in the NRL that are younger than 21..

The qualities that make a great centre in the modern game are Size strength and Speed and if you are a ballerina with just footwork you can only go so far
from being a genuine star
Time will tell Kevin who will eat humble pie and If I am wrong I would be glad to taste the biggest piece and wash it down with a cold guinness .
Look don’t get me wrong. Kelly frustrated me no end at times. However, I saw enough throughout the season to suggest he has some great skills and definite potential to excel at this level. Several players have come out and commented on the high level of those skills. Dylan Walker was one. Essentially it is up to Brian. Time will tell and I’ll wait and see.

Those favouring Parker over Kelly should remember that Kelly was alright in his first few games for us too, it was only deep in to the season that he started to become a liability on defence. And by the end he'd sorted that a bit. I think losing Taufua really hurt his consistency.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8