If snake stays...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Before I say this - understand I'm a huge fan of Stewart. At his peak he was fantastic.

Can I ask, if you were the coach/head of football, how many games in 2017 would you give Snake?

Considering we were within a stones throw of making the finals in 2016 - how many games would you prepared to let him play in 2017 given his 16 stats were the worst on avg of an fullback?

Every games going to count in 17. The Comp is so close these days that the odd game here or there will change the result come finals time - so if he underperformed in 2017 (as he did in 2016) how long would you leave Turbo at centre/wing?
Only 2 or 3 games mate .it wld be silly not to considering he is on the books & must be payed anyway .. Do u really think a man cld play that bad if he wasnt seriously injured ..

Snake was one of our best against the sharks when we beat them. I think the injuries are the problem more than the head.

I can't see how Brett's going to go round again if he's not due back until January. Surely individual training and rehab can't replace all the facilities available at Narrabeen.

There will be no mystery. 2 weeks back on the training park will be enough to tell the powers whether his heart, body and soul are back in the game. I can't see any more than I game at the most necessary to assess his status. If he shows signs of returning to form he will be there.

And @Turbo1 , if he does show signs of returning to even 90% of his former ability, Tom will be out of the fullback spot quicker than you change your mind.

PS (he is at long odds, but has earned the opportunity to try, and write a champion off at your peril)

if snakes fit snakes 1.. atleast for the first few rounds to prove he deserves to keep it... love tom, but he is about 50 steps behind snake when it comes to organising the backline defence and reading the game... it can only come with experience... but a fit snake on the books doesnt sit in reserve grade at the expense of a kid that still has alot to improve (esp with our current backline... waker,bk,wrights,parker,tafua, there are no superstars so toms inexperience organising that defence will be glaringly obvious... theres no killer or matai to tighten up the D and give him a bit of slack)

I agree that if he came back and was at his best - he would keep his spot. He's entitled to that. I just doubt this is going to happen.

If he came out and played 2/3 games in the same way he approached 2016 and we lost off the back of his lack of performance, I don't think anyone would be happy. If we miss the finals by 2/4/6 points, I don't think anyone would be happy. It would be a sad way to go out. The general feel is that he's done and Turbo is the future. So to stick around and play poorly would create a lot of resentment.

In terms of his 2016 performances, these days I don't see a player of his calibre taking the field if he was seriously injured...? Medics wouldn't allow it. That's what makes me think it's more mental. Personal opinion is he's over it. The club wants him out and he knows it. Heads not in the game.

The best result would be a mutual retirement and he gets a send off on a Sunday arv at Brookie. Same as Jamie.
Him and Matai deserve a good crowd send off.
I supose even training wld be a good indicator.. The only person that really knows wld be snake himself.. Be interesting to see wat happens only time will tell ..

You should stop living in the past.

Having lived in the past sometimes gives us perspective. Your man love for Tom is becoming obsessional, and clouding your judgement..

He is good ... very, very good .... and if he plays at that level for another 10 years he may, just may be spoken of in terms such as Manly greatest ever ... but a lot of football has to be played between now and then ...

At things stand with Snake's situation he is clearly our best option for fullback, but don'r delude yourself Turbo, if Snake comes back close to his best, Tom will be a very, very good centre for another year.

Having lived in the past sometimes gives us perspective. Your man love for Tom is becoming obsessional, and clouding your judgement..

He is good ... very, very good .... and if he plays at that level for another 10 years he may, just may be spoken of in terms such as Manly greatest ever ... but a lot of football has to be played between now and then ...

At things stand with Snake's situation he is clearly our best option for fullback, but don'r delude yourself Turbo, if Snake comes back close to his best, Tom will be a very, very good centre for another year.
Cleary the best option? Lol.

The fact that we haven't been really in the market for any bigger names that have come up ( Matagi as an example ) suggests we are very much in a state of flux as far as both Brett & Stevie are concerned.

I doubt very much if an insurance payout would be possible as any injuries both have are certainly old not new ( exactly the same situation as Watnow).

So we are either " stuck" ( not meaning to denigrate both players past services to us) with playing them if we can, or more than likely paying them to sit out the year.

I doubt very much if Mr Fluffy & co will want to pay circa $1.4m out of their own pockets ( which is what the Eels are supposed to do to escape the cap for Watnow) so I'd suggest our player acquisition has come to an end , and we will either be seeing two past legends ( both busted) trying to do their bit OR spending their time signing autographs and entertaining punters in the Heritage Lounge.

Either option a sad way to conclude stellar careers.

Of course if we were another team, one of the favourites , they'd pass a new rule allowing them to be paid out by the NRL but not affecting the cap.

Oh well, **** happens!!

The fact that we haven't been really in the market for any bigger names that have come up ( Matagi as an example ) suggests we are very much in a state of flux as far as both Brett & Stevie are concerned.

I doubt very much if an insurance payout would be possible as any injuries both have are certainly old not new ( exactly the same situation as Watnow).

So we are either " stuck" ( not meaning to denigrate both players past services to us) with playing them if we can, or more than likely paying them to sit out the year.

I doubt very much if Mr Fluffy & co will want to pay circa $1.4m out of their own pockets ( which is what the Eels are supposed to do to escape the cap for Watnow) so I'd suggest our player acquisition has come to an end , and we will either be seeing two past legends ( both busted) trying to do their bit OR spending their time signing autographs and entertaining punters in the Heritage Lounge.

Either option a sad way to conclude stellar careers.

Of course if we were another team, one of the favourites , they'd pass a new rule allowing them to be paid out by the NRL but not affecting the cap.

Oh well, **** happens!!

Or the 100/1 outsider comes in and they both come back firing.

If Snake is fit...

Sorry but this is just something that cannot be relied upon. It's not 2010. He is unfortunately at the tail end of his career and is almost certainly done as footballer capable of playing week in, week out. He may not be old in the classic sense but when you aren't big and rely on speed and have shot legs along with a questionable temperament, you are finished.

And look - I respect what he achieved and was a part of here but he should be Superleague's problem if he wants to play on.

Find a taker over there and give him our best wishes and the Butch speech...

"I think you're gonna find, when all this **** is over, I think you're gonna find yourself one smiling mother****er. The thing is, Butch, right now you got ability. But painful as it may be, ability don't last. And your days are just about over. Now that's a hard mother****in' fact of life, but that's a fact of life your ass is gonna have to get realistic about. See, this business is filled to the brim with unrealistic mother****ers. Mother****ers who thought their ass would age like wine. If you mean it turns to vinegar, it does. If you mean it gets better with age, it don't..."

I have to say though - even when Stewart played in 2016 (15 games?) - he wasn't able to organise the defence line you speak of. Probably not his fault - a lot of new faces. There wasn't a considerable difference for me between the two. At least I don't remember thinking after Snake played FB - geez we really tightened up our defence tonight...? Or when Turbo played - geez we looked horrible with him at the back...?

And what advantage you think Snake may give in defence (which I can't really see based on his 2016 stats) he lacks in attack. 15 games this year. 1 try. 2 try assists. Worst in the NRL. I don't buy the injury excuse. And if it was injury - why persist with him if it's going to consistently affect his performance. I don't think 1 magical surgery will fix all his issues in the offseason- especially when he's not allowed to start training until January.....

We looked so much more dangerous on the park with Turbo at the back.

I'm a huge fan of Stewart. Have been for his whole career. I understand a lot of us are. But he showed in 2016 he's not up to it anymore.
It was the same with Lyon. He was getting beat on the outside defensively and he knew it was time. The definition of insanity is persisting with the same thing and expecting a different result....

If he does play and we lose games because of it with similar stats to 2016 - I hope people like yourself (and there are many many others) are happy to excuse the losses and potentially missing out on finals because he deserves the right to leave the game on his terms.

It's a business , that is unacceptable!!

They are either fit and firing, or no longer up for it.

Regardless we pay!!

Sorry Mark have I hit a nerve?

It's hard to gauge sarcasm through a keyboard...Or I'm just slower than some :)

Not at all mate, no issues with what you said , I'm purely saying it's unacceptable just to play them because of who they are.

Love them like the rest of you BUT, they are either fit enough to play at the highest level or if they are not they sit on the sidelines.

Either way, it's still going to be a cost !!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8