Coach Seibold thoughts so far.... so good

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Olakau'atu, Paseka no doubt in career best form this year.

I'd argue Burbo is as well. I'd say Talau looking his best version in first grade too.

Many stating the same for DCE whilst Brown is turning back the clock.

We had a shocker of a second half last night and I was furious but it does change the fact the season has been pretty decent thus far.

We were pretty decent at the same stage last year.
I thought Haumole was better last year.
Paseka is old enough to know what he has to do to be better and more consistent.
Talau has stated he has lost 8kg vs last year- the Pommy trainer needs kudos for that.
Burbo was also good last year imo.

Let's hope we have grown.

Stink Smells Bad GIF by Charm La'Donna

I wouldnt be rushing to extend him, not at this stage. The next 3 games are going to be telling. If we lose those 3 games, I reckon we will be talking about another coach under pressure

I’m not sure if he is too smart or the players are too dumb but I’m sensing a disconnect in the ability to execute a game plan.
What's the game plan when you lead 24-6 well into the 2nd half at home against a team who couldn't score a single point at their home the previous week with their coach celebrating 500 career games. Fuk me dead it's just incomprehensible how lame, stupid, dumb , weak minded this team can be.

What's the game plan when you lead 24-6 well into the 2nd half at home against a team who couldn't score a single point at their home the previous week with their coach celebrating 500 career games. Fuk me dead it's just incomprehensible how lame, stupid, dumb , weak minded this team can be.
@mickqld i like your measurement scale. Looks pretty well calibrated too!

Was terrible last night how we just completely cut out using our backrowers, especially in those conditions. Our game plan on the right uses Olakau’atu extensively and we changed it last night to hardly use Bullemore at all. He could have been dangerous running decent lines

Firstly, I should disclose that I am mindful of knee-jerk reactions after a loss. If we win Magic Round against the Broncos, I will be eating my words, etc. but...

My concerns are that we might be over-coached. I look at a team like the Dolphins who clearly have a lack of star quality. They signed Flegler and Farnworth to improve their roster, but both have long term injuries, and across the board they have the thinnest roster in the NRL. However, you can count on them competing hard each week. Sometimes games get away from them at the back end, where the lack of talent catches up. They play a very simple game, based on effort (a hallmark of Bennett coached sides). Not a lot of tactical thought goes into their preparation and they attack with very simple structures. It's all about winning the middle and playing percentages.

Which brings me to Manly...

Our game is not about winning the middle and playing percentages; two things that have won football games since 1908. Our game is about caution to the wind, lots of complicated attacking shapes and ball movement (no wonder we look clunky). It's as if Seibold's approach involves 'thinking' our way to victory, instead of 'toughing' our way to victory.

What is most perplexing is that we would adopt such tactics with an abundance of natural footballing ability at the club. It's unnecessary to focus so much on attacking structures and shapes, when you've got so much size and speed on the edges, creativity in the halves, and a fullback with so many weapons. Essentially, the attack will take care of itself through the natural footballing ability, when our team is on top in the ruck.

This type of approach is very Bellamy, Bennett, and dare I say it, Hasler. Attacking structures are simple and repetitive. All the players are asked to do is compete hard. A common trend I have noticed with Manly is we score a couple of really scintillating tries, and then the points dry up. Why? Because we start finessing our way around the field and push the envelope to a point where players get frustrated and errors creep in. It's why Turbo keeps dropping so much ball. He is thinking about the big play all the time. If anything, we'd probably score more points if we could dominate the physical battle and break teams down over the course of a game, with percentage football. The Dolpins did it to the Eels a few weeks back and Penrith did it the other night against Souths. They were missing their biggest attacking weapon but they got on top in the grind and the floodgates opened. They scored some pretty unenterprising tries, but they still count for 4 points; as much as the length of the field pearler. In the end, they'd scored 42 in total.

Last edited:
I'm fairly neutral on Seibold - happy to see how things play out.

I do chuckle at the narratives of the haters though and how they pile on after a loss.

The reality is that the team runs hot and cold on the back of DCE. A lot of it is high-risk footy and when it comes off it's great and when it doesn't, we get games or stretches of games last night.

Firstly, I should disclose that I am mindful of knee-jerk reactions after a loss. If we win Magic Round against the Broncos, I will be eating my words, etc. but...

My concerns are that we might be over-coached. I look at a team like the Dolphins who clearly have a lack of star quality. They signed Flegler and Farnworth to improve their roster, but both have long term injuries, and across the board they have the thinnest roster in the NRL. However, you can count on them competing hard each week. Sometimes games get away from them at the back end, where the lack of talent catches up. They play a very simple game, based on effort (a hallmark of Bennett coached sides). Not a lot of tactical thought goes into their preparation and they attack with very simple structures. It's all about winning the middle and playing percentages.

Which brings me to Manly...

Our game is not about winning the middle and playing percentages; two things that have won football games since 1908. Our game is about caution to the wind, lots of complicated attacking shapes and ball movement (no wonder we look clunky). It's as if Seibold's approach involves 'thinking' our way to victory, instead of 'toughing' our way to victory.

What is most perplexing is that we would adopt such tactics with an abundance of natural footballing ability at the club. It's unnecessary to focus so much on attacking structures and shapes, when you've got so much size and speed on the edges, creativity in the halves, and a fullback with so many weapons. Essentially, the attack will take care of itself through the natural footballing ability, when our team is on top in the ruck.

This type of approach is very Bellamy, Bennett, and dare I say it, Hasler. Attacking structures are simple and repetitive. All the players are asked to do is compete hard. A common trend I have noticed with Manly is we score a couple of really scintillating tries, and then the points dry up. Why? Because we start finessing our way around the field and push the envelope to a point where players get frustrated and errors creep in. It's why Turbo keeps dropping so much ball. He is thinking about the big play all the time. If anything, we'd probably score more points if we could dominate the physical battle and break teams down over the course of a game, with percentage football. The Dolpins did it to the Eels a few weeks back and Penrith did it the other night against Souths. They were missing their biggest attacking weapon but they got in top in the grind and the floodgates opened. They scored some pretty unenterprising tries, but they still count for 4 points; as much as the length of the field pearler. In the end, they'd scored 42 points.
Spot on. It's a very simple game when stripped back. Win the middle, hold your line. That's it.

This is exactly why I have always believed Seibold is exactly the worst possible head of department for a rugby league team.

This new age type with catch phrases and buzz words, intellectualising the physical, has never, and will never, yield sustained success. This way lacks authenticity, character, and grit. A road to nowhere.

Spot on. It's a very simple game when stripped back. Win the middle, hold your line. That's it.

This is exactly why I have always believed Seibold is exactly the worst possible head of department for a rugby league team.

This new age type with catch phrases and buzz words, intellectualising the physical, has never, and will never, yield sustained success. This way lacks authenticity, character, and grit. A road to nowhere.
Sadly I think you could be right. Word out of the sheds at halftime was Seibs wanted a focus on defence. Trouble is, if you spend all pre-season talking about revolutionising the attack (based on rugby union methods) and using 'our weapons', etc. you cannot suddenly ask the focus to be on something else?! The precedent has already been set.

I'm also getting frustrated with Seibs saying the competition is tough and credit to the opposition in our press conferences. Get some hard edge about ya Anthony!

Sadly I think you could be right. Word out of the sheds at halftime was Seibs wanted a focus on defence. Trouble is, if you spend all pre-season talking about revolutionising the attack (based on rugby union methods) and using 'our weapons', etc. you cannot suddenly ask the focus to be on something else?! The precedent has already been set.

I'm also getting frustrated with Seibs saying the competition is tough and credit to the opposition in our press conferences. Get some hard edge about ya Anthony!
We seem to have little trouble bringing our "weapons" but maybe should focus on bringing our "shields" too!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14