Zac Saddler ... Indigenous team ..

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Should Zac be in our top 30 squad ..

• Total voters
Always a bit of a transition phase for most young props to convert raw talent and ability into good endurance and work rate level . Keppie managed it above expectations at last season "s end and should be able to go on with it , ideally Saddler will show the same commitment and take his opportunities for improvement in a short time frame also . This recent experience and hit out for him with more seasoned and high performance players should help his confidence and progress level . Certainly has the attributes to go on with it in the Manly ranks and every chance of being a shrewd signing .

At the risk of returning to the subject matter, Zac Saddler...
I like what I saw, but I agree with an earlier post that he is trying to be a 'tough guy" like Lussick tended to adopt, and he will be penalised out of the match.
This game was not refereed like a normal NRL match where penalties are rife. The refs dispensed with the whistle last night which was a good thing.
He is big and exciting and I'm keen to follow his progress.

Having lived in a 1/3 aboriginal 2/3 white fella community for 50 years before moving to Brisbane never a truer word was spoken.

I could argue all day on this topic ( but won’t other than making this statement).

When you’ve been to school with them, grown up with them , worked with them , employed them, been friends with them , had crimes committed against you by them and seen them daily in your life you get a very different perspective than your average city dweller who’s had none of that.

I have some good mates that are black fellas , not all are bad but sadly the radical / bad ones get all the publicity and the general public thinks that’s what they all think ( which isn’t actually correct), I assure you there are many aboriginals doing well and are happy with their lot.

If the radical ones could get the giant chip off their shoulders , use the benefits they get to improve their lives ( and not piss it up against the wall) then they’d have better lives to.

We are all Australians , it’s them that are being divisive not us.

PS: this is just an opinion and I’m not going to argue with anyone about it, I prefer to talk footy instead.

PSS: didn’t watch the game but read a report this morning and looks like we didn’t cop any injuries so that’s a good thing.

So true in many respects Mark, though there is a lot of justified bitterness on their part regarding how their people were treated in the past, and perhaps in some respects now. Generational horrors have long lives.

I have a part Indigenous Australian foster sister, who is like a second mother to me. She has three great children (one adopted) and several grandchildren and you wouldnt know their heritage, nor does my foster sister care one iota about it. By the way she owns her own home in Narrabeen and does very well thank you very much.

A close but now deceased friend was something of a mentor to me. He had Masters in Anthropology as well as being a qualified printer along with other skills. Yes he recognised himself as Indigenous Australian, was proud of it, showed many of us the Indigenous paintings down the Hacking River, but was also proudly Australian, very generous, had a heart of gold, and was well loved.

I've worked in the Redfern area including The Block. Knew dozens of Indigenous Australians there and rarely had any problems with them.

But as you say Mark, there is another side, especially in the 'them and us' communities in country regions. A friend, who worked and lived in Bourke for many years, said walking the streets at night could be dangerous. Lack of available work, separated into ghetto camp like regions, idle hours of nothing to do, substance abuse, physical abuse within the communities, and a lot a bitterness, partly borne of generational memories, part just irrational hatred, is a breeding ground of bitterness, often illdefined. Them and Us mentality.

The human condition when there are perceived differences of religion, culture, race, colour even gender issues, that have a histories of abuses, is always a cesspool for irrational hatred. I had a female companion at one stage, Australian born of Greek immigrants. She hated Turks, even though she had never had any problems with people of that background herself. But the Ottoman Empire and the horrors it brought to Greece, left a generational mark.

Unfortunately there are no quick fix solutions, and addressing such issues often take generations to heal or change...but sometimes it never happens. Can only hope, in the Australian setting, hopefully with improved conditions and congenial relationships developing between all peoples, that such wasted emotional negativity diminishes.

Last edited:
I have just added a poll at the start of the thread for whether Zac should be part of our top 30 ... vote now ..

That’s the sorta Muzz rebuttal I expected.
Let me ask you this Muzz. How long do we have to keep apologising? When or if will it ever be enough that Indigenous folk will say , fair enough, you’ve done your best. Even though it is not this generation that has committed such atrocities. When is enough, enough.
I’m sure the majority of Australians now understand the dud hand the Indigenous people were dealt in history. But how, as a nation are we supposed to move forward, when all we seem to be doing is looking back?
There’s only so many times in any circumstance that you can apologise on behalf of past generations, before you say, we’re all square. Let’s move on together as one.
And if we were to change the national anthem , I would choose this one below.

that is fair enough for some areas of Australia, but I’m working in far west NSW at the moment and the local authorities are blatantly racist and exclusionary. There is a long way to go.

He is a grub! 3 times he jumped on a player on the ground including jumping on Dylan Walkers head as he scored that final try. Do it once, fair enough. Do it twice you start to look like a dirty player. Do it a 3rd time in a game and you are definitely a grub.

He hit Dylan well after he had grounded the ball and you could see it was premeditated. A cheap shot. His "shoulder dive" on Ponga was probably even cheaper. What an A hole.
As for his footy...he has no idea about being a FB at this point.

Don't forget how we all use to laugh about how **** it was and wished we could have waltzing Matilda (stolen) or men at Work (also stolen :) ) instead. Now that it's become an issue advance Australia is somehow a modern classic. Sounds like a cat being strangled IMO
Exactly. People complaining about change, not realising the history of what they dont want changed.

I might start arguing for gawd save the queen to be returned.

He hit Dylan well after he had grounded the ball and you could see it was premeditated. A cheap shot. His "shoulder dive" on Ponga was probably even cheaper. What an A hole.
As for his footy...he has no idea about being a FB at this point.
Yes and I think there were other instances of these cheap shots from him followed by laughing and taps on the head as a show of gamesmanship. His positional play I thought was poor and I believe he’ll b found out as a fb this year and will be back in the Centres soon enough. On his day he can break games open. But he’s got a long way to go.

Yes and I think there were other instances of these cheap shots from him followed by laughing and taps on the head as a show of gamesmanship. His positional play I thought was poor and I believe he’ll b found out as a fb this year and will be back in the Centres soon enough. On his day he can break games open. But he’s got a long way to go.
The indigenous team spine was all over the shop. The forwards went well, and so did the centres and wingers. The difference was the lack of organization by the spine.
Walker did well for the Maoris, good kicking game and went looking for the ball at critical times.

I’m worried about their hooker in the first game v storm. Not scam, the other smith.

If Norman Gunston is up for a rendition I'll second that...

Finally ! Some common sense in the place
Love your work Harves !

A-1287250-1499510072-6392.jpeg.jpg
A-1287250-1499510072-6392.jpeg.jpg

I have just added a poll at the start of the thread for whether Zac should be part of our top 30 ... vote now ..
With AFB, Tapua and Keppie injury free there are 3 solid props.
Boyle still has to show more, Sipley when back to his best form will be there, Saddler if in the top 30 is a solid backup, Paseka still hasn't done near enough when available, though ongoing injuries haven't help him. My order...
AFB
Marty
Keppie
Sipley
Saddler
Boyle/Paseka

Zac's contract would need to be upgraded if he were to be in our Top 30. I doubt money will be spent that way. Maybe will get a shot after june 30 but I doubt it baring a huge injury toll.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8