Worst team in the competition - Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Exactly!

Easy to bring in fringe players when the spine is settled and the team is winning.

But hey, some people just like to bag and whinge for the sack of it.
Or some people can see that the reason we are 12th in metres gained is because our outside backs can't start our sets properly, putting tremendous pressure on our middles to do everything, which then puts pressure on our playmakers. A settled spine you most certainly need to be top 4, but to leak 40 points a game and not be able to get up the other end? We DEFINITELY have an outside backs problem

Did you miss the fact that Latrell, Walker, Reynolds and Cook were giving good early ball and creating space for them?

How often have you seen Elliot, Cust, DCE and Levi do that.

Take out Latrell, Walker and Cook and I’d say their rookies wouldn’t look as good.

But hey, don’t let that get in the way.
Nothing wrong with dce and cust... can't say the same about levi. Also our forwards in general are always on the back foot which doesn't help our halves. This is all symptomatic of having the worst backline in the nrl. If the halves have no threats to go to, what do they do??

Nothing wrong with dce and cust... can't say the same about levi. Also our forwards in general are always on the back foot which doesn't help our halves. This is all symptomatic of having the worst backline in the nrl. If the halves have no threats to go to, what do they do??

I think it stems from early/cheap mistakes and the inability to defend them.

I think it stems from early/cheap mistakes and the inability to defend them.
Actually we are ranked 5th in fewest errors, and 2nd in missed tackles. If this was our problem, we would be top 4.

I think you'll find it is our output in metres gained, and inability to create line breaks, where we are ranked in the bottom 4. This implies there is too much pressure being placed on our middles, so they get gassed from having to constantly tackle and cart the ball from our own line. If you look at the workloads of our individual players, it's absolutely appalling how little our back 5 actually help

Actually we are ranked 5th in fewest errors, and 2nd in missed tackles. If this was our problem, we would be top 4.

I think you'll find it is our output in metres gained, and inability to create line breaks, where we are ranked in the bottom 4. This implies there is too much pressure being placed on our middles, so they get gassed from having to constantly tackle and cart the ball from our own line. If you look at the workloads of our individual players, it's absolutely appalling how little our back 5 actually help
*2nd fewest missed tackles

Or some people can see that the reason we are 12th in metres gained is because our outside backs can't start our sets properly, putting tremendous pressure on our middles to do everything, which then puts pressure on our playmakers. A settled spine you most certainly need to be top 4, but to leak 40 points a game and not be able to get up the other end? We DEFINITELY have an outside backs problem

I disagree, in general we seem to always be on the back foot early on in matches. That’s the reason everything compounds badly.

We are defending most of the time and it always seems the opposition always gets set restarts late in the tackle count.

Our forward pack is hit and miss. I think our edge backrowers lack any penetration. AFB might be a beast at making metres, but he must’ve have the slowest play the ball which then makes those metres gained sort of redundant.

You are right about elgey, and can't remember if elliot was barrett or des but garrick and waddell were des... I think

Tbh Suli is our only outside back who can bend the line but considering him as our big weapon is a little lame when you compare him with those at other clubs. He doesn't get involved enough, can be a little suss in defence, and has 0 skill/passing game/footy awareness. I think he would be a much better winger - useing him as a battering ram to get us out of our end and he would be of much more value.

Harper can't crack it at the worst ranked, and lamest attacking team in the competition...surely that says we are literally the last at the table
Im 90 percent sure tbey were all signed when barrett was still coach.. elgey was announced like a week after barrett was sacked. I think the rest may have signed before that point

I disagree, in general we seem to always be on the back foot early on in matches. That’s the reason everything compounds badly.

We are defending most of the time and it always seems the opposition always gets set restarts late in the tackle count.

Our forward pack is hit and miss. I think our edge backrowers lack any penetration. AFB might be a beast at making metres, but he must’ve have the slowest play the ball which then makes those metres gained sort of redundant.
Agree to disagree.

The reason we get on the back foot early is because we can't get out of our end quick enough - this is the job of back 5. And whilst thommo def lacked penetration this year, and AFB may not have the quickest play the ball, our biggest problem (outside of injuries) is our backline - and levi. And jake needs a proper preseason again!

I have to agree with both. We lack a back 3 that can return the ball with speed and get some momentum going, and I also think we seem to have most players play the ball extremely slow and can not get over the advantage line by having a few forwards run onto the ball and over the advantage line.

Also agree we are just giving away too many 6 tackle repeats early in games on the 4th tackle - this seems to be the biggest killer of late.

Agree to disagree.

The reason we get on the back foot early is because we can't get out of our end quick enough - this is the job of back 5. And whilst thommo def lacked penetration this year, and AFB may not have the quickest play the ball, our biggest problem (outside of injuries) is our backline - and levi. And jake needs a proper preseason again!
And gosiewskis hair

Im 90 percent sure tbey were all signed when barrett was still coach.. elgey was announced like a week after barrett was sacked. I think the rest may have signed before that point
Fair enough...still it has been almost 2 yrs and maybe the new regime was a bit premature with some re-signings

Agree to disagree.

I agree with both, a back 3 is very important for those kick returns, Elliot always ran backwards.

Then by giving away repeat sets of the 4th on half way, that is a huge momentum killer and just puts the team under tremendous pressure. To be honest, we haven't adjusted to the new rule at all.

AFB could play the ball quicker, he is just so good at post contact, but would be even better if he could play the ball faster like marty, thats one thing he does very well, is get to his feet quickly and play the ball after getting over the advantage line. Last year Faniu and Turbo were devastating on the back of a strong run from marty and quick play the ball

So does the slime have an outside backs problem? For the sake of the kick Reynolds missed they gave away 40 last night and didn't get across the line?
Plus they had a full strength team.

So does the slime have an outside backs problem? For the sake of the kick Reynolds missed they gave away 40 last night and didn't get across the line?
Have they lost 7 of the last 9..incl 4 absolute beltings?

Oh yeah sivo and waqa blake are big liabilities. Throw in mitch moses and dylan brown as well

On recruitment, I recall when Des came back to us it was made clear he would have zero input on the financial/contractual side of things.

I'm curious about what the process is then - does our recruitment squad (whoever they may be) find potential players then run them by Des for his final approval before making them an offer or do they bypass Des completely, essentially saying to him "here's who we've bought, now use them"?

Likewise with re-signing players - does Des have any say in it or are these decisions (& offers tabled) made completely without his knowledge & input?

A player like Suli really needs to get involved more and come looking for the ball.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8