Winners /Losers in “ Coachgate”

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
In order of best to worst imo

Manly - coming off a low base to arguably one of the best coaches in the comp and with Manly DNA to boot

Penrith - I don’t rate Hook at all, never understood why they got rid of Cleary in the first place

Broncos - a bit early to tell, but Siebold looks the goods at this stage

Tigers - I think Maguire is overrated

Souths - I think Bennett is past it

All winners
Except brisbane. Jury is out on one season wonder Seibold
I'm in that boat too mate.

Also, Manly will be medium to long term winners. Not sure in the short term if he can change the culture that quickly.

Hoping though.

Winners:

Manly with Des Hasler
Tigers with Michael Maguire.

Losers:
Penrith with Ivan Cleary

TBD:
Brisbane with Anthony Seibold
Souths with Wayne Bennett

Des and Maguire are proven winners, proven premiership winners. They have a habit of getting the best from their players.

I know he's a Manly junior, but like with Nathan, I don't get the hype over Ivan Cleary's coaching. He's been a coach (except for 2016) ever since 2006 and the only year he really ever did anything was in 2011 when he took the Warriors to the GF against Manly. He has a paltry 46.9% winning ratio across all 3 clubs he has coached at (49.4 @ NZ, 45.0 @ Penrith and 41.9 @ Tigpies). In his 12 seasons as an NRL head coach, only 5 times have his teams ever won more than they lost. The only reason Gould even went after him (and shafted Barrett in the process) was because they feared losing his son at some point after it was made public that Nathan wanted to be coached by Ivan.

Seibold is only going into his second year as a coach. Sure he got Souffs to the Finals this year, his rookie year, but they bombed out of the Finals fairly quickly, yet he and the media seem to go on like he's already won multiple premierships.

And Bennett? Yes he has runs on the board with 7 premierships, a couple in the old BRL and some Origin series wins. But lets face it, at NRL level at least, his premiership wins with the Broncos have all been when his side was loaded with at least 2/3 of the Qld Origin team (and usually half the Kangaroos test side). Peter Sharp or even Trent Barrett could have won premierships with the squads he had available. And his win with St Merge in 2010 came when Manly and Melbourne who had basically dominated the previous three years, both had issues which killed their seasons. We had long term injuries to key players (notably Snake and Wolfman, while we also had a virtual rookie halves pairing in Foz and Hodko) and Melbourne got done cheating the salary cap. As soon as both were back in business in 2011, the Dragons went back to making up the numbers. He did get the Knights to the Prelim Final in 2013, but as soon as Tinkler's money ran out, so did he, right back to Brisbane. And just to note, unlike his first stint at the Broncos, they haven't been stacked with Origin and test players this time around and other than 2015, while they've still made the Finals, they have only been making up the numbers.

Great post mate

I see Milat and Redfern Benny as failures

Souffs are 101 to 1 for the most losses so I invested 50

Please please if manly can’t win let them no good fairy tale vermin protected species fleas come last

We should not ever let them back in the comp

Souths got the best end of that deal in my opinion.

After all it was the Brothers that wanted DWayne at the club and got him. King Rusty shelled out big coin for a "hut" and now thy are all happy.

The Bronco's only got their 3rd pick, tried and failed to get both Green and Bellamy. Cant see how thats a win other than avoiding Typhoid Walters

Surely the jury is out on Seibold (as others have stated). One swallow doesnt make a summer. Get back to me in 5 years.

Seibold has been coaching now for 13 years. His first shot at the nrl top coaching job seen his side finish equal first with games won....3rd with points difference.

Tough school....

Seibold has been coaching now for 13 years. His first shot at the nrl top coaching job seen his side finish equal first with games won....3rd with points difference.

Tough school....

And equal with the two teams with the most flexible of salary caps.

Tough school....

.... and at his 4th club in 5 years ..... does he have committment issues? ...... You just want to shag him because he is a QLD'er ......

PSS ... if people can bag Bennett with 7 premierships, world cups, SOO clean sweeps, and 800 NRL game ..... then Siebold is fair game ....

Tough school....

Yep it gets tough once your team starts losing and or key players want to leave/get injured/ fallout with the coach.

Lets see how he handles the bad times.

The Bronco's will punt him as quick as anything if he doesn't get the immediate results that are expecting. Anything less than a top 4 finish will be viewed as a fail.

Last edited:
For mine, the measure of a good coach isn't how many premierships they win with strong teams or if they coach stacked teams to representative success. Its how they can get a relatively average or weak squad to perform.

I know Bennett gets labeled as a "Supercoach" by the media, but the only time he has had success is when he has had stacked sides, or when other dominant sides had their issues. When he has had an average or weak side (see Newcastle 2014), he's done virtually nothing with them. But instead of sticking around at Newcastle and building them up after Tinkler's mining money dried up, he ran straight back to the comfort of the rich Broncos.

Don't get me wrong, he is a good coach. Even the best squad won't win unless they have a decent coach pointing them in the right direction. But I just don't think he is as good as what people think he is. I think he's been very lucky to have the sides he has had over the years which has definitely helped with his success (for any of the premierships Brisbane won in the 90s.....would Bennett have won anything if he was coaching a Balmain or Western Suburbs instead?). And at 68 (69 on new years day), you have to wonder if its starting to pass him by.

For mine, the measure of a good coach isn't how many premierships they win with strong teams or if they coach stacked teams to representative success. Its how they can get a relatively average or weak squad to perform.

I know Bennett gets labeled as a "Supercoach" by the media, but the only time he has had success is when he has had stacked sides, or when other dominant sides had their issues. When he has had an average or weak side (see Newcastle 2014), he's done virtually nothing with them. But instead of sticking around at Newcastle and building them up after Tinkler's mining money dried up, he ran straight back to the comfort of the rich Broncos.

Don't get me wrong, he is a good coach. Even the best squad won't win unless they have a decent coach pointing them in the right direction. But I just don't think he is as good as what people think he is. I think he's been very lucky to have the sides he has had over the years which has definitely helped with his success (for any of the premierships Brisbane won in the 90s.....would Bennett have won anything if he was coaching a Balmain or Western Suburbs instead?). And at 68 (69 on new years day), you have to wonder if its starting to pass him by.

To me he’s well past it BUT does have a lot of experience so that’s good for something I guess.

Yep it gets tough once your team starts losing and or key players want to leave/get injured/ fallout with the coach.

Lets see how he handles the bad times.

The Bronco's will punt him as quick as anything if he doesn't get the immediate results that are expecting. Anything less than a top 4 finish will be viewed as a fail.

He had an immediate impact at souths. Don't see why he won't at the broncos. It will be interesting, that's for sure!

.... and at his 4th club in 5 years ..... does he have committment issues? ...... You just want to shag him because he is a QLD'er ......

Yeah....good one punchy!! So,a bloke that knows what he wants and knows how to get there, and won't settle for bullsh1t has commitment issues? Tell me old mate....are you married? LOL!!!!

I'm strarting to worry about your fascination with blokes shagging each other. Is your love for Wayne because he is around the right age for you??? :inlove:

For the record....I'm not putting the boot into any of them.....but if I was going to, I'd be looking a lot closer to home!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8