Winners /Losers in “ Coachgate”

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Well now we’ve seen the final swap of the 2019 season with Bennett / Seibold happening this week my question today is who are the winners and who are the losers with the five changes made from season 2018 to 2019.

My view.

Winners

Manly with Hasler
Broncos with Seibold

Losers

Souths with Bennett

Undecided

Penrith with Cleary
Tigers with Maguire

That’s just an opinion on each and I won’t bore you with reasons why for each one.

Thoughts everyone??

I think Manly,Broncos and tigers will be much better under their new coaches.
I think south's are the losers, and I'm not sold on Cleary to Penrith as Gus will still have him under the microscope.
There wont be enough room at Redfern for 2 big egos in the room with Bennett and the Film star owner . Gus has already busted Clearys balls . Get set for round two .

It’s hard to know whether the Broncos are winners with seibold. He looks the goods but he has only been head coach for one year. Time will tell.

In my view, Manly and Tigers are the two who have clearly upgraded on their coach.

I think Manly,Broncos and tigers will be much better under their new coaches.
I think south's are the losers, and I'm not sold on Cleary to Penrith as Gus will still have him under the microscope.
This.

Well now we’ve seen the final swap of the 2019 season with Bennett / Seibold happening this week my question today is who are the winners and who are the losers with the five changes made from season 2018 to 2019.

My view.

Winners

Manly with Hasler
Broncos with Seibold

Losers

Souths with Bennett

Undecided

Penrith with Cleary
Tigers with Maguire

That’s just an opinion on each and I won’t bore you with reasons why for each one.

Thoughts everyone??
spot on!

Winners:

Manly with Des Hasler
Tigers with Michael Maguire.

Losers:
Penrith with Ivan Cleary

TBD:
Brisbane with Anthony Seibold
Souths with Wayne Bennett

Des and Maguire are proven winners, proven premiership winners. They have a habit of getting the best from their players.

I know he's a Manly junior, but like with Nathan, I don't get the hype over Ivan Cleary's coaching. He's been a coach (except for 2016) ever since 2006 and the only year he really ever did anything was in 2011 when he took the Warriors to the GF against Manly. He has a paltry 46.9% winning ratio across all 3 clubs he has coached at (49.4 @ NZ, 45.0 @ Penrith and 41.9 @ Tigpies). In his 12 seasons as an NRL head coach, only 5 times have his teams ever won more than they lost. The only reason Gould even went after him (and shafted Barrett in the process) was because they feared losing his son at some point after it was made public that Nathan wanted to be coached by Ivan.

Seibold is only going into his second year as a coach. Sure he got Souffs to the Finals this year, his rookie year, but they bombed out of the Finals fairly quickly, yet he and the media seem to go on like he's already won multiple premierships.

And Bennett? Yes he has runs on the board with 7 premierships, a couple in the old BRL and some Origin series wins. But lets face it, at NRL level at least, his premiership wins with the Broncos have all been when his side was loaded with at least 2/3 of the Qld Origin team (and usually half the Kangaroos test side). Peter Sharp or even Trent Barrett could have won premierships with the squads he had available. And his win with St Merge in 2010 came when Manly and Melbourne who had basically dominated the previous three years, both had issues which killed their seasons. We had long term injuries to key players (notably Snake and Wolfman, while we also had a virtual rookie halves pairing in Foz and Hodko) and Melbourne got done cheating the salary cap. As soon as both were back in business in 2011, the Dragons went back to making up the numbers. He did get the Knights to the Prelim Final in 2013, but as soon as Tinkler's money ran out, so did he, right back to Brisbane. And just to note, unlike his first stint at the Broncos, they haven't been stacked with Origin and test players this time around and other than 2015, while they've still made the Finals, they have only been making up the numbers.

Last edited:
All winners
Except brisbane. Jury is out on one season wonder Seibold

Apart from getting the Warriors to the 2011 Grand Final (which we all know, they lost), about the most notable thing in Ivan Cleary's coaching career is that he's been sacked once.....by the Panthers.

Can't see how that makes Penrith winners in this one. He's only there again because they see Nathan Cleary as their future and didn't want to possibly lose him to wherever his dad might have been coaching in the future.

All better options except Bennett....but does not equal instant success...
Des is the biggest winner imo and its not being pro Manly.....he actually identifies with what works for Manly....hard to put a finger on what makes clubs click....but the personnel, regardless of the coaching abilities, needs to work for that particular teams Natural culture - it can't be forced.
Bennett and Souths is like Ice cream with vegemite....

Winners Manly

Hope both Bennett and Seibold moves are both failures

Losers Tigers. Cleary suited them, Maguire showed at Souffs he's not good at building a successful team from a **** team, reckon he'd be better suited to Broncos with a developed squad that he could build off.

Apart from getting the Warriors to the 2011 Grand Final (which we all know, they lost), about the most notable thing in Ivan Cleary's coaching career is that he's been sacked once.....by the Panthers.

Can't see how that makes Penrith winners in this one. He's only there again because they see Nathan Cleary as their future and didn't want to possibly lose him to wherever his dad might have been coaching in the future.

Massive pressure on Cleary.

Back to Gould, which is madness and must be a very strange, working relationship.

If he cannot get a premiership in the next 2....maybe 3 seasons, he will be consigned to the Brian Smith house of coaching.

No club wanting a comp will hire him again. He will be the "fix up a club" coach.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2