Why is the club not targeting a quality number 9 signing?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

sheridanstand78

First Grader
As we are all aware its very much the silly season in relation to rumours and signings for next season.

You would of thought that after the disaster of the 2020 season that the clubs biggest priority would be to sign a seasoned number 9.

I think it is a dangerous ploy to assume that the team will cope with what we have until Fainu's trial which could mean either he is free to play or his career is over. Even if he is cleared, he will not be available till late July and by then the season might well be done and dusted.

To me this is urgent and I want to see the club sort this out. The rumour of Foran playing at 9 is a farce, hes a true 5/8 and I expect he will play in that role either starting or off the bench.

This needs to be sorted ASAP or I fear it will be more of the same in 2021!

As we are all aware its very much the silly season in relation to rumours and signings for next season.

You would of thought that after the disaster of the 2020 season that the clubs biggest priority would be to sign a seasoned number 9.

I think it is a dangerous ploy to assume that the team will cope with what we have until Fainu's trial which could mean either he is free to play or his career is over. Even if he is cleared, he will not be available till late July and by then the season might well be done and dusted.

To me this is urgent and I want to see the club sort this out. The rumour of Foran playing at 9 is a farce, hes a true 5/8 and I expect he will play in that role either starting or off the bench.

Who would you suggest they target ?

According to Zero Tackle, there 6 hookers off contract.
Put a line through Cam Smith and Danny Levi. That leaves Lovodua (22yrs), Kurt Baptiste (29), Nathan Peats (30yrs) and Isaak Luke (105 yrs).
Baptiste would by my pick.
And herein lies the problem if Baptiste is the pick of that lot, we have to work around Croker, Cust or Foran until Fainu's situation is sorted out.
If Levi was staying he would have wanted around $350k, and with Newcastle not contributing anything it was a no brainer to release him.

Last edited:
Don't think we have the money available to chase a quality hooker.
We are not the Roosters who can sign a player for love, we have to pay what the player feels he is worth.
If Fainu gets found not guilty and is free to play which seems unlikely he will be far from match fitness on return. Might be better off not resigning to a new contract, seems to be a gang lover and will always be in trouble giving us poor value.

Who says we are not working on signing a 9? If we don't sign one that to me suggests that the Club knows Fainu's situation will change in the positive. But Des will have it in hand and if Fainu's situation isn't changing - there will be a 9 signed no doubt.

I think once you realise we just won't be going after another quality 9 then u can rest more easily.

We just don't have the cash to go after one and we will wait for fainu.

We are royally screwed in 2021 without a proper nine but that's where the club is going so get on board.

Wayde Egan was out with the boys in manly too remember.
I see Egan as having stacks of potential. He looked an absolute superstar in the juniors. He has just looked a very different player at NRL level so far, so underwhelming. It was said he was on big money at the Riff. He would need to come pretty cheap for mine, but I wouldn't be unhappy if the club took a punt on him if at the right price.

There's not much optimism left in me after the last few years, but maybe - just maybe - the club have their eyes on a number of quality targets (not just hookers!) and are doing an excellent job of keeping it quiet so as not to spoil the deals or the surprise. The alternative - ie, nothing to look forward to at all - is too horrible to contemplate. Way more likely, but still too horrible to contemplate.

My opinion, and I know its boring but here goes. Manly are not looking for a quality hooker at this stage because they want to see what is happening to Fainu. Fainu is a top shelf hooker and if his case is dismissed, the problem is solved for 2022 and onwards. That means finding a stop gap for 2021, though there is a possibility of Fainu appearing at the end of the year. Now they may look for a low price hooker, but they got their fingers burnt with Levi.

Now Sheridan is right. Foz is a 5/8, not a hooker. But then Cust is a half, Croker a 5/8 and yet they have been playing hooker. Its a question of making do with what you have. The fact that no young hooker has been promoted so far suggests that if there is a replacement coming, he'll be a cheapee and temporary only. If Fainu ends up in the nick, then a top line hooker will be sought. So in the meantime as it appears to me, and as Des himself has stated, they will makeshift, which means training non hookers like Cust and Foran in the hooking role. Remember Foran is on a one year contract. Coincidence?

I really hope they're looking for a very good backup because, as it is, our star number 9 is up on very serious charges and, like it or not, his fate is in the hands of the legal system. And then there's his shoulder.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4