Why is the club not targeting a quality number 9 signing?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
My opinion, and I know its boring but here goes. Manly are not looking for a quality hooker at this stage because they want to see what is happening to Fainu. Fainu is a top shelf hooker and if his case is dismissed, the problem is solved for 2022 and onwards. That means finding a stop gap for 2021, though there is a possibility of Fainu appearing at the end of the year. Now they may look for a low price hooker, but they got their fingers burnt with Levi.

Now Sheridan is right. Foz is a 5/8, not a hooker. But then Cust is a half, Croker a 5/8 and yet they have been playing hooker. Its a question of making do with what you have. The fact that no young hooker has been promoted so far suggests that if there is a replacement coming, he'll be a cheapee and temporary only. If Fainu ends up in the nick, then a top line hooker will be sought. So in the meantime as it appears to me, and as Des himself has stated, they will makeshift, which means training non hookers like Cust and Foran in the hooking role. Remember Foran is on a one year contract. Coincidence?
I’m pretty sure Snake or someone in the know said that Cust was a hooker before he was a half so maybe with a bit of help from Ballin amd Monas he will be ok at9
He is certainly rugged and fast enough for a 9 and tbh I think would go pretty well with maybe Foran helping out , so long as Croker isn’t in the mix
Anyway it’s Des s job to make us competitive ours is just to bitch and moan and hypothesys so I’m sure he is as concerned about it as we are and that he has a plan

The scenario looks like Cust or Croker to be the hooker's ,with the signing of Foran to play 5/8 with the guidance for Schuster to eventually take over , and the hope of Fainu getting cleared . It's not ideal but that's what it looks like to me looking from the outside

The scenario looks like Cust or Croker to be the hooker's ,with the signing of Foran to play 5/8 with the guidance for Schuster to eventually take over , and the hope of Fainu getting cleared . It's not ideal but that's what it looks like to me looking from the outside
If this is the case then we can screw any chance of playing finals footy.
seriously this once proud club is becoming the laughing stock of the nrl

the joey johns video he praises katoa - couldnt get a start over lichaa.

Egan i'd cop but ideally you want someone who is good enough to play nrl but bad enough to get dropped once fainu comes back (if he does)

Jacob Liddle would be my pick. Kurt Baptiste is quick too, he'd be next.

While I understand the comments about "These players were halves, then hookers", they were also very good halves that had been playing for years and (except for sCam) playing in a different game to what we see today-unfortunately.

I like Cust, but I'm not that he is at the same level as those others halves that went on to play hooker - yet.

Not quite apples for apples, but at the moment it is what we have.

If Manase is found innocent, I think he should play for free (ok minimum wage - of a first year apprentice carpenter) until he wins the Clive Churchill in a premiership winning Manly side.

Schuster's first game at 5/8 showed he needs minimal instruction regarding the position. He's ready now, he's done his apprenticeship, just as Foran was when he started at 5/8 for Manly at the same age. Foran may give him some hints at training but not on the field. Amazed me Des kept him back so long this year, when they desperately needed a skilful 5/8. Just hope Desmond's conservatism doesn't lead him making a bad mistake.

While I understand the comments about "These players were halves, then hookers", they were also very good halves that had been playing for years and (except for sCam) playing in a different game to what we see today-unfortunately.

I like Cust, but I'm not that he is at the same level as those others halves that went on to play hooker - yet.

Not quite apples for apples, but at the moment it is what we have.

If Manase is found innocent, I think he should play for free (ok minimum wage - of a first year apprentice carpenter) until he wins the Clive Churchill in a premiership winning Manly side.
My understanding and it is just my understanding is that Cust was a hooker in juniors? He is tough, can tackle, has some ball playing skills and some speed off the mark being a half - he might be the perfect 9 as a bridge till Fainu gets sorted. Can anyone confirm he was mainly a 9 in juniors?

My understanding and it is just my understanding is that Cust was a hooker in juniors? He is tough, can tackle, has some ball playing skills and some speed off the mark being a half - he might be the perfect 9 as a bridge till Fainu gets sorted. Can anyone confirm he was mainly a 9 in juniors?

Probably so though most of his later juniors spot was half. If he played hooker it was before his S G Ball year

Probably so though most of his later juniors spot was half. If he played hooker it was before his S G Ball year
Yes - sorry - I am not sure but thought I read that somewhere and if so playing hooker wont be something totally foreign and yes he is one tough customer. Might be a great fit!

This is what makes the six contracted development players interesting also, we have Birt and maybe Ott that could get a contract.

If either miss out on a contract it looks like Cust, Foran and Croker to jostle for the jumper.

Yes - sorry - I am not sure but thought I read that somewhere and if so playing hooker wont be something totally foreign and yes he is one tough customer. Might be a great fit!

Not disputing it at all Shane. Just saying he was half back when Tom Wright was playing in the same side in SG Ball. May well have been a hooker earlier, and like Toovey, he has the skill and toughness it seems to handle the position. He's obviously been retained to cover hooker and half and looks a solid type who could thrive as both.

Defence has not been one of Cade [ Cust "s ] strong suits during most of his stints in i st grade but hopefully and with his no doubt toughness factor , he can prove up to the mark there if that is his role next season . Just so important to have a good defensive , sharp and durable 9 with the more open ruck play now . Croker seems to do O K there in short stints and of course no reason why Foz can not play a useful role there also in segments if he does not come into a 6 contention . Would think that if the club was that eager to get another or capable 9 in the ranks , it would have happened by now .Some might be getting confused with the notion that Cust may have been once a 9[ which i don't think he was ] with the occasional references that Fainu played some of his junior footy as a half

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6