Who will Thrive under Des ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Every single player in our top 30 and our development players will play for Australia this year under Des
Fair point - I mean if players like Reece Robson, Gehamat Shibasaki who are unknowns can make the PM Aussie team - they all have a shot hey ??

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/26/why-the-des-factor-has-jake-trbojevic-excited-for-2019/

Why 'the Des factor' has Trbojevic excited for 2019
Author
Joel Gould
NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 26 Nov 2018, 10:01 AM
He's maroon and white down to his bootstraps and can rattle off Manly history without drawing breath, so Jake Trbojevic cuts straight to the chase when asked what the return of Des Hasler will do for Manly.

"Des definitely epitomises success," Trbojevic said, looking NRL.com straight in the eyes.

"A lot of things went wrong for us last season but there are positive signs that with Des back, if we can put it all together, we can have some success again."

It is then that Trbojevic, who returns to Manly training on Monday, rattles off Hasler's record at the Sea Eagles… the three grand finals as coach and two titles (in 2008 and 2011) and two premierships as a player in 1987 and 1996… and he throws in the two deciders he took the Bulldogs to for good measure.

The 24-year-old lock, who played his junior footy at the Mona Vale Raiders, was in Manly's SG Ball side back in 2011 when Hasler left for the Bulldogs. He's already buoyed by several discussions with Hasler since his return.

"I was never coached by Des but since he's come back I've had a good chat to him, and what stood out to me was his positive energy and how excited he is. He's really passionate about coaching Manly," Trbojevic said.

"Some of the older fellas who I'm mates with, and that have been coached by Des, say he has a great work ethic, thinks about everything to the nth degree and leaves no stone unturned.

"When someone is working that hard to be successful it makes you want to work hard as well."

Hasler had a 59.4% winning record in his 207 games as Manly coach first time around, an outstanding strike rate in the NRL era. Trbojevic would relish finishing with that kind of win rate as a player. It is not the NSW anmd Test forward's fault, but his 94 games for Manly have come at a 42.55% success rate, a record that highlights the Sea Eagles' lack of recent success under the departed Trent Barrett.

Trbojevic is convinced that is about to change.

"I'm back at training on Monday. My brother (Tom) has been back at training for a couple of weeks and says everyone is ripping in and I'm really excited to get back, as I always am, to train hard so we can hopefully improve and have a good year," he said.

"I played with a few of those guys from the 2008 and 2011 teams and I got to see what great competitors they were.

"I look around now and see that we have got some really good players there and if we work hard and things go our way, we can be successful.

"There were times last season where we played well for a good half, 60 minutes sometimes and even 70. There was a game against Penrith where we were something like 24-6 up with 10 to go and let it slip, so staying mentally switched on for a full game will be the key for us."

Trbojevic said Manly would be better for the new and returning faces in 2019.

"We have got guys other clubs like Kane Elgey and then there are young guys like Lachlan Croker who I thought was going along well until he hurt his knee and he's been training really hard," he said.

"To get someone like Curtis Sironen back will be a bonus. He was having a great year last season until he got injured and I've seen how hard he has worked in rehab to put himself in apposition to play well, which he deserves."

While I think Turbo will do better under Des, I think his main improvement will come from working with Donny. Tom's fitness seemed, to me at least, to be a bit lacking at times and his input late in games seemed less or somewhat forced. I think with Donny his fitness will definitely improve.

Just take a look at the test against Tonga. I know he was playing centre and not fullback, but having to move up and back with the line on each tackle (as opposed to making runs from fullback, or wing like with NSW).....by about the 65 minute mark he was absolutely buggered, and IIRC Tonga almost scored a long range late try because after making a tackle, he was on one knee in back play taking a rest and they made a break where he should have been.

Working with Des will help his game, knowing where to be on the field, where and when to run etc. But personally I hope that if Snake does come back as rumoured, he does a lot more work with Tom and helps him with positional play and being able to direct the team around from the back. And if Tom wants to be a great fullback and realise his full potential, he could have no better teacher than one of the all time great fullback's that the game has ever seen.

While I think Turbo will do better under Des, I think his main improvement will come from working with Donny. Tom's fitness seemed, to me at least, to be a bit lacking at times and his input late in games seemed less or somewhat forced. I think with Donny his fitness will definitely improve.

Just take a look at the test against Tonga. I know he was playing centre and not fullback, but having to move up and back with the line on each tackle (as opposed to making runs from fullback, or wing like with NSW).....by about the 65 minute mark he was absolutely buggered, and IIRC Tonga almost scored a long range late try because after making a tackle, he was on one knee in back play taking a rest and they made a break where he should have been.

Working with Des will help his game, knowing where to be on the field, where and when to run etc. But personally I hope that if Snake does come back as rumoured, he does a lot more work with Tom and helps him with positional play and being able to direct the team around from the back. And if Tom wants to be a great fullback and realise his full potential, he could have no better teacher than one of the all time great fullback's that the game has ever seen.

Good points ... but I also think one of the biggest factors in his improvement will have been working with the NSW Blues and Meninga for Australia at centre ..... in those games it would have been impressd on him that he has a job to do ... and so does everybody else .... trust your team mates .... just do your job and allow your team mates to do theirs ....

The experience and maturity he gained last year will see him ripe for a big one .....

@HoldenV8
Thinking of snake and looking back at his early day's what I wonder is?
Was he always a gun defensively and positional wise, or was it coached into him at Manly.
Here's hoping TT can improve in the new environment.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/26/why-the-des-factor-has-jake-trbojevic-excited-for-2019/

Author
Joel Gould
NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
He's maroon and white down to his bootstraps and can rattle off Manly history without drawing breath, so Jake Trbojevic cuts straight to the chase when asked what the return of Des Hasler will do for Manly.

"Des definitely epitomises success," Trbojevic said, looking NRL.com straight in the eyes.

"A lot of things went wrong for us last season but there are positive signs that with Des back, if we can put it all together, we can have some success again."

It is then that Trbojevic, who returns to Manly training on Monday, rattles off Hasler's record at the Sea Eagles… the three grand finals as coach and two titles (in 2008 and 2011) and two premierships as a player in 1987 and 1996… and he throws in the two deciders he took the Bulldogs to for good measure.

The 24-year-old lock, who played his junior footy at the Mona Vale Raiders, was in Manly's SG Ball side back in 2011 when Hasler left for the Bulldogs. He's already buoyed by several discussions with Hasler since his return.

"I was never coached by Des but since he's come back I've had a good chat to him, and what stood out to me was his positive energy and how excited he is. He's really passionate about coaching Manly," Trbojevic said.

"Some of the older fellas who I'm mates with, and that have been coached by Des, say he has a great work ethic, thinks about everything to the nth degree and leaves no stone unturned.

"When someone is working that hard to be successful it makes you want to work hard as well."

Hasler had a 59.4% winning record in his 207 games as Manly coach first time around, an outstanding strike rate in the NRL era. Trbojevic would relish finishing with that kind of win rate as a player. It is not the NSW anmd Test forward's fault, but his 94 games for Manly have come at a 42.55% success rate, a record that highlights the Sea Eagles' lack of recent success under the departed Trent Barrett.

"I'm back at training on Monday. My brother (Tom) has been back at training for a couple of weeks and says everyone is ripping in and I'm really excited to get back, as I always am, to train hard so we can hopefully improve and have a good year," he said.

"I played with a few of those guys from the 2008 and 2011 teams and I got to see what great competitors they were.

"I look around now and see that we have got some really good players there and if we work hard and things go our way, we can be successful.

"There were times last season where we played well for a good half, 60 minutes sometimes and even 70. There was a game against Penrith where we were something like 24-6 up with 10 to go and let it slip, so staying mentally switched on for a full game will be the key for us."

"We have got guys other clubs like Kane Elgey and then there are young guys like Lachlan Croker who I thought was going along well until he hurt his knee and he's been training really hard," he said.

"To get someone like Curtis Sironen back will be a bonus. He was having a great year last season until he got injured and I've seen how hard he has worked in rehab to put himself in apposition to play well, which he deserves."
More feel Good news , and thats the way we like it

I'm happy to see the 'other side' of Jake & Tom..............the side concentrating on the future not what the club should have done with regards to Mr Barrett! The vibe from most reports seems to be rubbing off on all the players. The comments coming from the players has me revved up for 2019 & beyond!

Was he always a gun defensively and positional wise, or was it coached into him at Manly.

Coaching is of course important ..... but of greater value is the experience and knowledge a player gains from his own efforts .... we are now talking about a young bloke that is coming into his 3rd full year in the top grade and who has represented at State and National level ..... he will have, and will continue to read plays and make the moves that have been successful for him in past games ...

I just think learning some patience in attack will be the making of him ..... unfortunately I think defence will continue to be an issue .... with FBs often standing in the line inside the 20m ... Des's defensive structures will be important ...

Good points ... but I also think one of the biggest factors in his improvement will have been working with the NSW Blues and Meninga for Australia at centre ..... in those games it would have been impressd on him that he has a job to do ... and so does everybody else .... trust your team mates .... just do your job and allow your team mates to do theirs ....

The experience and maturity he gained last year will see him ripe for a big one .....
Playing his first season under an NRL quality coach in four years will probably help a bit as well.

You know I use to (mainly from 2006-2011) laugh at other clubs chopping and changes coaches and players. Won't ever happen to us I use to think.

Then Des pulled the pin and moved on, the aging roster also caught up with us. What I though was the most stable (in terms of on-field) team in the NRL grew to become the least stable.

Now Des is back and its kind of like he never left. Sure we haven't played a game yet but you just know its gonna be better.

Playing his first season under an NRL quality coach in four years will probably help a bit as well.

well ... I am sure that Dessie, Cartwright, Donny, Ballin, Monnas, Crusher, head shrink guy and sprint coach and one more coach I know is coming .... should be able to do at least as good a job ...

Edit .... I forgot Randall and the weight trainer .... what's that ... a training staff of 11 .... should be enough you reckon ...

Author
Joel Gould
NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp

But I thought he only wanted to be coached by TB????

well ... I am sure that Dessie, Cartwright, Donny, Ballin, Monnas, Crusher, head shrink guy and sprint coach and one more coach I know is coming .... should be able to do at least as good a job ...

Edit .... I forgot Randall and the weight trainer .... what's that ... a training staff of 11 .... should be enough you reckon ...
Definitely... between all that lot there should be a multi faceted game plan developed. As opposed to the one dimensional, bash your head against a brick wall rubbish that the eternal rookie came up with. They might also learn a little something about defence and how conceding 600 plus points in a season is bad, regardless of how good their attack might be (which wasn’t that good really... ninth best, so better than the 16th we rated in defence, but still below average)... fingers crossed.

But I thought he only wanted to be coached by TB????
Jake is easy :giggle:
giphy.gif

Definitely... between all that lot there should be a multi faceted game plan developed. As opposed to the one dimensional, bash your head against a brick wall rubbish that the eternal rookie came up with. They might also learn a little something about defence and how conceding 600 plus points in a season is bad, regardless of how good their attack might be (which wasn’t that good really... ninth best, so better than the 16th we rated in defence, but still below average)... fingers crossed.

Agree .... what astounds me though .... is that when one of the most experienced and successful coaches in the history of the game says I need an additional staff of 11 to resource the football office .... we all cry "of course" ... how wonderful it is .... happy days .... and rightfully so ....

... but when the least experience coach in the game ... the bloke that would need the most help .... with a staff of 3 ..... had the courage to stand up and demand more staff ..... everybody attacked him and called him a sook .... posted countless posts about how back in the day 2V and Dessie didn't need all those resources ...

It is a strange and bizarre world in which we inhabit .....

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4