who will be selected for Round 1

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Couldn't see a pre-pre-match Round 1 thread, sorry if there's already one.
Lock is the most intereting spot. Bully and Keppie have gone quite well in the trials but I wouldn't say either of them nailed it down yet. Jake at prop looked quite natural, so long as they don't try to drag too many minutes from him there.
Or will they put Jake back to lock??

I expect Parker will have stopped bleeding by March so he'll keep his centre possie.

Number 14 is the other one up for grabs. Fulton was an outsider but a couple of poor dummy half moments will rule him out for now.
So it's Weekes .. or Gordie. I think at least until Turbo has proved his fitness in the heat of NRL, Weekes will get the nod. Too talented to leave out.

My tip

1.T Trbojevic
2.Tuipolotu
3.Koula
4.Parker
5.Garrick
6.Schuster
7.DCE
8.Paseka
9.Croker
10. J Trbojevic
11.Olakau'atu
12.Tuilagi
13.Keppie

14.Weekes
15.Sipley
16.Bullemor
17.Anyones guess

Reckon Fifita could be a smokey to jump ahead of Aloiai and Condon based on him coming on early and getting decent minutes in the trial

I wonder if GKCT will not be elevated into the top 30 and someone else dropped as a result of his outstanding performances in the two trial games.

In my opinion Morgan Boyle is a waste of a spot , so that’s the change I’d make if I was coach.

Conversing further with one of the journos today , once registered you can’t just “ change “ your mind, and sadly we have registered 30 players already.

So , Gordie isn’t available to select in round 1.

Unless we can offload one of the 30 to another club , in 14 days.

He's been a calm and capable playmaker in both games, plus provided some classy try assists.
Don't think he'll make it for Round 1 but he's definitely put his name in the discussion.

Conversing further with one of the journos today , once registered you can’t just “ change “ your mind, and sadly we have registered 30 players already.

So , Gordie isn’t available to select in round 1.

Unless we can offload one of the 30 to another club , in 14 days.
Harper in the crosshairs.

Round 1 team:
Tom T
Tui
Garrick
Koula
Vaega
Schuster
DCE
Aloiai
GCKT / Croker
Keppie
Ola
Tuilagi
Jake T

Res: Weekes, Paseka, Fifita, Sipley
18th Man: Parker

Full strength team:-
Tom T
Saab
Koula
Garrick
Tui
Schuster
DCE
Aloiai
GCKT / Croker
Keppie
Ola
Tuilagi
Jake T

Res: Weekes, Paseka, Sipley, Fifita
18th Man: Parker

Just watched the replay of the game. Many standout performances, esp. by our young guns, but what impressed me most was the fitness & work rate of our two backrowers. In comparison, most of the middles wilted at some stage. Hopefully, there is some way Gordon can play in Rd One. Having only one hooker in the top 30 would be very shortsighted. Based on form in the two trials, this is the team I'd pick for Rd One.

1. Trbojevic T.
2. Tuipulotu
3. Garrick
4. Koula
5. Weekes
6. Schuster
7. Cherry-Evans
8. Paseka
9. Croker
10. Trbojevic J.
11. Olakau'atu
12. Tuilagi
13. Keppie
14. Chan Kum Tong
15. Trbojevic B.
16. Fifita
17. Sipley

The hardest choice for me was Keppie over Bullemor as lock. I chose Keppie because of his more aggressive defence. I have omitted Aloiai because he lacks match fitness. I figure anything Parker can do, Garrick can match or surpass. For example, Garrick powered through Tedesco to score. Would Parker have the strength to do this? By the way, for those criticising Garrick for not scoring that first try, it was his first game back after shoulder surgery, so it is not surprising he might be a bit tentative in his play. Weekes has the ability to break a game open, so I think he needs to start. He could play a roving role from the wing, coming infield at opportune moments. Burbo has been solid in the trials - hard running, good defence & can cover the centres. Sipley has also been solid in attack & defence. Fifita has had the most damaging runs of any our props (IMO).

1. Trbojevic T.
2. Garrick
3. Parker
4. Koula
5. Weekes
6. Schuster
7. Cherry-Evans
8. Aloiao
9. Croker
10. Trbojevic J.
11. Olakau'atu
12. Tuilagi
13. Keppie
14. Chan Kum Tong
15. Paseka
16. Fifita
17. Bullemore.

Yep, it was a bit of weird decision to put Fulton at dummy half coz I can't imagine him playing there at any time in the future. It really did just throw things out of whack. There was one point there Shu got the ball and looked liked it was the first time he'd touched a footy. It resulted in a penalty against us for an obstruction. But it was a trial so you try things. Just don't try it again, I say.
A clear sign that we don't have a standout for 14 just yet. Gordie will be held back till later, Lawton hasn't recovered yet, Johns and Weekes are possibles only.
I actually quite liked someone's bench suggestion that incuded both Weekes and Fulton, with a couple of props.

Yeah I messaged young Gordie it's 2024 unfortunately. He is ready pointless holding him back 9 an area of weakness since Api left and fainu issues.
Weekes has got to be there hell I even put him in the centres.
We have depth in the squad but it's very uneven. Gordie will definitely get a go later in the year which makes sense, can't expect him to play an entire long NRL season first up.
Weekes isn't a centre or winger but I agree needs to be in the 17, even if only as cover for Tom.
Big risk asking Croker to play 80 minutes.
We have this allegedly brilliant collection of coaches now, will be curious to find out their plan!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4