What's you favourite play that you don't see anymore?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Use to love watching Toovey feed a scrum 20 metres out pick the ball up and sprint and score.
I don't think I have seen that play in years, now its pick it up and pass.

I have the 97 semi vs Newcastle, the one where Manly screwed the scrum on halfway and tooves darted 50 meters to score under the post.
Its also the game where Spud and Cheif had the massive collision.

The big difference between the 70’s 80’s and today is predictability.

You know the drum , tackle 1 hit it up, tackle 2 ditto, tackle 3 ditto, tackle 4 ditto, and finally on the last hoist it either in the air if close enough or into the corner without in going out for field position.

And then occasionally you attack the line and mostly dribble the ball through for a repeat set, because you then know the opposition will give away a penalty ( or two) and you’ll get 3 or 4 sets at the line and probably score with a wide running forward powering over the line.

Kick off, repeat.

Kick off, repeat.

Kick off, repeat.

And the main thing that decides the game, penalties , how many, when and where given.

There’s virtually zero individual brilliance nor is it encouraged.

Oh sure some still display it occasionally but today’s “ game” is more like tactical warfare than the beautiful game it was 40 years ago.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Chip & chase. Scott Gale's double chip & chase was a thing of magic (Rabbits on tv: "That's not a gale, that's a hurricane!"). I think P Blake did a cracking one as well.

Blakie. Wonder Boy! (No double chip try though)

Blake double kick, but not the one for Manly I seem to remember.

And Siren (Never Let You Go) by Divinyls!

80's=Music celebrating a try with commentary that compliments the skill and effort of the individual/team.
2000's= Video ref analysis with a reminder to order KFC.

Run arounds are usually pointless unless used off a flat forward just before the line, or a hit the line quick hip and turn play.

The boring long pass from a Halfback to a deep 5/8 then waiting two commercial breaks before the Half back wraps around the 5/8 is a yawn fest.

You must be fun at parties. Are you The Chich?

I miss the run around too
Sterlo used to love that play - ahh hang on.. slimey eel bastardo - screw the run around - eat poo and die eel loving run around! Ok I’m done - as you were...

Use to love watching Toovey feed a scrum 20 metres out pick the ball up and sprint and score.
I don't think I have seen that play in years, now its pick it up and pass.
Funny looking back isn’t it - we had two great halves - neither could kick to save their lives.

I’m surprised you think that’s beautiful, I find it as boring as bat ****!
It's always nice to see the broken field long distance tries and playing off the cuff in highlights vids from the past but you have to put that in context also, many breaks are from boring show and goes or poorly structured defensive lines.(yes i know fatigue causes this also)

Yes we need more fatigue in our game to encourage such plays but at the same time we don't want a long list of show and go tries or scampering out of dummy half breaks, players have so much footwork and skill these days having too much open space or fatigue in the game will cause 60-40 scorelines.

I’m surprised you think that’s beautiful, I find it as boring as bat ****!
The beauty of a well planned structured play in my eyes is better than an off the cuff one.

The subtlety of pass and shift in weight from Cooper Cronk as he passes the ball to Billy Slater who hides himself on Coopers blind side before drifting to his open side is beautiful to watch.

Mind you as a kid i replayed a few Phil Blake chip and chases humming along out loud the Channel 10 "try just scored" tune for everyone to see my greatness as a kid lol.

Also studied as a kid Cliff Lyons and Craig Coleman in all their passing intricacies and body angles before delivering the pass, which set them apart at the time in creating line break assists and tries.

A scrum should be the best place from which to use your backs. Why teams put forwards in the backline at this time is lunacy. Mind you, a scrum is not really a scrum these days, is it?
However, occasionally I'd like to see the half or 5/8 kick the ball from a scrum to allow their speedy wingers to chase on the fly. Because the defensive fullback is now always in the line there is virtually no cover defence. It's the easiest way to score a try if (a) you have pacy wingers (b) they get a favourable bounce.
There is no downside to such a move. You may lose possession but you'll gain 40-60 metres and have the opposition scrambling.
Last season we had very little pace in the backline. This year it seems we'll have some pace. A speedy backline is what Manly teams were famous for. I'd love to see a return to this.

Chip & chase. Scott Gale's double chip & chase was a thing of magic (Rabbits on tv: "That's not a gale, that's a hurricane!"). I think P Blake did a cracking one as well.

Blakie. Wonder Boy! (No double chip try though)

Blake double kick, but not the one for Manly I seem to remember.

And Siren (Never Let You Go) by Divinyls!

I remember Brett Mullins scored a try from a double chip and chase - Rabby was commentating it and it ended with something like "that's a miracle try !!! "

Footy on film facebook page has put up a Rambo Ronny Gibbs film. And guess what! He scores a try from his own chip and chase. What a legend.

Video wont embed for some reason but just click on the watch on facebook bit.

That is a great montage. Rambo seemed quite happy to hammer and get hammered. How about the footage in there of him playing for easts and absolutely smashing parra in attack and defence?

Just got back from holidays so probably been mentioned but the
Toss of the coin in the middle
The opening 20 minutes softening up period
The run around,basically just the room for innovation like that is gone.
One simple thing they could do is bring back tackle and release.
A 3 second play the ball as I've timed it watching games from the 70s 80s 90s would open it up.
Now it's 7 or 8 seconds and they wonder why people turn off.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6