What's you favourite play that you don't see anymore?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Watching back some old highlights and got me thinking. Geez I miss some of the old plays that graced the game back in the 80's and 90's.

My favourite all time Manly player was Michael O'connor. That guy had it all. Remember a number of times he used the chip and chase to destroy opposition sides. One especially against the pom's on a kangaroo tour if my memory hold up was special. Sweeping move in own half, up to the line, chip and pace Burns the defence for the try.

The chip and chase God rest her soul. Pops up occasionally I know but so much of today's game is power and speed. Killer used to drop it on the boot to great effect. Wish we saw more of that.

I know defence is so much better now but a good old run around with some angles being run back inside wouldn't go amiss.

How about The Wall? I mean, mostly completely ineffective but the anticipation of what might happen was fantastic.

In a similar vein, I’d love there to be more set plays from scrums or taps these days.

The big difference between the 70’s 80’s and today is predictability.

You know the drum , tackle 1 hit it up, tackle 2 ditto, tackle 3 ditto, tackle 4 ditto, and finally on the last hoist it either in the air if close enough or into the corner without in going out for field position.

And then occasionally you attack the line and mostly dribble the ball through for a repeat set, because you then know the opposition will give away a penalty ( or two) and you’ll get 3 or 4 sets at the line and probably score with a wide running forward powering over the line.

Kick off, repeat.

Kick off, repeat.

Kick off, repeat.

And the main thing that decides the game, penalties , how many, when and where given.

There’s virtually zero individual brilliance nor is it encouraged.

Oh sure some still display it occasionally but today’s “ game” is more like tactical warfare than the beautiful game it was 40 years ago.

Kicking duels. Sometimes would last for a few minutes. The forwards loved them as they just stood in a ring around the kicker daring them to run the ball. Saw one at the SCG. Think it was against Saints. The fullback spilt the ball and Herman Hamilton picked it up and strolled over.

Watching back some old highlights and got me thinking. Geez I miss some of the old plays that graced the game back in the 80's and 90's.

My favourite all time Manly player was Michael O'connor. That guy had it all. Remember a number of times he used the chip and chase to destroy opposition sides. One especially against the pom's on a kangaroo tour if my memory hold up was special. Sweeping move in own half, up to the line, chip and pace Burns the defence for the try.

The chip and chase God rest her soul. Pops up occasionally I know but so much of today's game is power and speed. Killer used to drop it on the boot to great effect. Wish we saw more of that.
I hope that I never see a Manly player chip kick again after the last one by Blake Leary

Fatiguing defenses and the little guys opening up defenses because you didn't have 120kg chiselled behemoths sitting on the bench for 2 x 20 min stints playing half a game and dumb sht referees giving b2b penalties because of it.

Blake & Gale did all of that stellar work under the old 5m rule. Having the defence back further at 10m just killed the chip & chase. Took all the fun out. How can modern halfbacks say they are great when they didn't have a 120kg chiselled behemoth right in their face while they tried a sidestep, a quick pass or a chip & chase. Cronk & co are living in dinner suits, as the 2018 grand final proved.

The tight unders suicide lane like Beaver ran off the maestro Cliffy....not many backrowers take this route.....the Roosters backrowers are good in Cordner & Creighton and our own Lane caused damage last season, but didn't do it enough....so many sideways shifts with not enough (Direct) runners.
These runners who actually cut on that exaggerated angle will also bring in the outside defenders to open up more space out wide once playing a 2nd man out the back.
Souths done it well to the left last season but became a little predictable by round 26 and execution seemed out of time also, as when done at pace with bodies in motion pushing outside the opposition defender (off the ball), is almost impossible to combat....particularly off a quick play the ball.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8