What Des has inherited

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Mate let’s look at a couple of things
The squad is weaker than last year

Lane is gone
Kelly is gone
Walker hasn’t played a game
Tom has only played 2 games

Yet we are a significantly better team and defensively we are one of the better sides in the comp compared to last year we were the worst.

There’s only one reason for that the change in coach and the culture of individual accountability being cultivated by the new coach

The reality is that after 6 weeks ... a comparison to 2017 shows that ..

2017 points for 124 (20.6 per game) .. points against 113 (18.8 per game)
2019 points for 119 (19.8 per game) ... points against 100 (16.6 per game)

So we are scoring 1 point less per game and conceding 2 points less per game .... I am happy with the defensive improvement ... but as the above shows .... hardly worth getting all dressed up and going dancing ... if it is maintained ... and it should be .. because defense begets defense .. then it foretells a good year .....

Apart from any concentration on defense in the pre-season the biggest factors would be that we are a happy group without any off field distractions .. and a great coaching team ... competition for spots ... good media generating feel good stories ...

.. attitude is rolling on a high ... and as we know ... defense is attitude ..... I can't see that changing any time soon ... can't see why it would .....

.. But ... I have been around long enough to know that the God's have a sense of humour .....

Cry me a river .... you don't think telling some people to open their eyes and that they don't know the game of Rugby League wasn't insulting .... problem with you experts is ... wait til next week and you will be just as likely wrong ...

To be that lacking in any sort of imagination or experience ... that you blindly believe there can only be one reason for improvement ... shows such a lack of knowledge about the dynamics of football teams as to be juvenile ....

..and Yes .... Des has worked hard, as has his coaching staff, as have the players ... and defense has improved .... as you would hope it would ..... and here is hoping that nothing happens to change it .....
To be fair i was not really making that statement to insult anyone, was more of a general point of view that i thought was fairly obvious. I apologize if it offended you. I still stand by my point of view, defense is as much about structures as it is about attitude, the attitude brings the scrambling defense, the structure stops you from every having to scramble. To me our structures are clearly better, we are numbering up better and moving as a unit. It has Haslers name written all over it. Im sure there are many factors that add up to a well performing team but the coach and playing roster are the most important imo.

Last edited:
Are you on crack?
Why are you comparing to 2017 and not last year.

You are using ALP logic

OK .... try and stay with me ....

Your point is that the sole difference in defense is the coach .... defense under Barrett was shiite .... defense under Dessie is wonderful ... and the only contributing factor is the coach ....

well .... Barrett was coach in 2017 .... and as you can see ... defense at that time was comparable ..... so by the logic of some ST members ... obviously Barrett was a first rate coach ...

I however maintain that whilst a coach is very important ... many internal and external factors can, and will play a part .....

[
The reality is that after 6 weeks ... a comparison to 2017 shows that ..

2017 points for 124 (20.6 per game) .. points against 113 (18.8 per game)
2019 points for 119 (19.8 per game) ... points against 100 (16.6 per game)

So we are scoring 1 point less per game and conceding 2 points less per game .... I am happy with the defensive improvement ... but as the above shows .... hardly worth getting all dressed up and going dancing ... if it is maintained ... and it should be .. because defense begets defense .. then it foretells a good year .....

Apart from any concentration on defense in the pre-season the biggest factors would be that we are a happy group without any off field distractions .. and a great coaching team ... competition for spots ... good media generating feel good stories ...

.. attitude is rolling on a high ... and as we know ... defense is attitude ..... I can't see that changing any time soon ... can't see why it would .....

.. But ... I have been around long enough to know that the God's have a sense of humour .....

Lets put things in perspective time ....

2017 Baz had the assistance of Head of football operations In the Incomparable Immortal calling the shots

Every blind man and his dog knows what happened in 2018 when Trent fell out with him and went solo

Our club went through the darkest year in our proud history when we narrowly escaped the wooden spoon. Our fortress became a brothel where every team screwed us in front of our loyal fans .

Speaking of attitude . Every picture tells a story in one of his typical press conference displays

Eyes closed , head back , Arms folded , no answers . no accountability, no solutions, the body language of a quitter and in the end he proved his true colors and he did just that

keyframedownloadcontroller.png

Last edited:
Are we really going to believe that Baz had nothing to do with his own contract situation? That there was no substance to the rumours of him wanting to quit to take over the panthers role...nothing at all?
Yep the club may not have handled certain aspects of it well but you are kidding yourself if you do not think Barett has some influence

Are we really going to believe that Baz had nothing to do with his own contract situation? That there was no substance to the rumours of him wanting to quit to take over the panthers role...nothing at all?
Yep the club may not have handled certain aspects of it well but you are kidding yourself if you do not think Barett has some influence

Was it Gorman or Penn who said they believed he had an offer from another club (penrith)?

Your point is that the sole difference in defense is the coach .... defense under Barrett was shiite .... defense under Dessie is wonderful ... and the only contributing factor is the coach ....

well .... Barrett was coach in 2017 .... and as you can see ... defense at that time was comparable ..... so by the logic of some ST members ... obviously Barrett was a first rate coach ...

I however maintain that whilst a coach is very important ... many internal and external factors can, and will play a part .....

Why don't you include Barrett's coaching record from the penrith under 20's aswell... You know the only year they went... well Crap.

Why don't you include Barrett's coaching record from the penrith under 20's aswell... You know the only year they went... well Crap.

Good point .
The Penrith under 20s where Trent had the best young CROP of players at his disposal and he had them all playing like CRAP

Nah you're wrong, this is getting embarassing for you so maybe just stop.

Same reason as I'm not including Dessie's record in his last year at the Doggies .... for the simple fact that as I have said all along that there are other factors than just who is coach that can have very real effects on the physchology of a team ... and therefore results ...

The problem with your opinion .... is that the first time we have 30 points put on us .... suddenly by your definition Dessie becomes a ****house coach ..... I personally will think that is a nonsense ... but I will look forward to your post bagging Dessie ....

This is what the MASTER COACH is really good at, i kid you not,, spinning a yarn over a drink at an RSL club...hahahah, Master Cooach was a Master Stroke at Manly because he showed us all that ONLY a Manly man gets what it takes to make Manly great!

Thank you Baz, Now go do your next booze up talk champion.

DSC_0591[1].JPG

Last edited:
Tigers got 50 put on them last weekend.

Doesnt mean Madge is a shthouse coach. It happens, even to the best of them.

When you compare like for like the evidence is in that Barrett is a coaching turkey. Des has inherited the same squad, has key players unavailable, and yet is getting far better performances.

2017 stats are misleading, Siebold was our defensive coach that year.

The thing about 2017 though is that while yes we did make the Finals in an eventual 6th place, we had been 3rd on the ladder going into Origin time. And lets face it, even then we still had to rely on both St Merge choking, and the Cows losing to Brisbane in the last round to actually finish in that position.

It was really from Origin 2017 until the end of 2018 that Manly started it slide. In one and a half seasons we went from 3rd on the ladder to 15th. Other than scraping into the 2017 Finals, the only real bright spot in that time from a team point of view was the 54-0 win over Doesn't-matta at Brookie last year.

And that time frame coincided with the time that Bozo and Barrett had their falling out over Zoolander wanting to do things his own way, a way which would see that 12 place drop in a season and a half. Barrett did OK when he either had someone holding his hand or someone to lean on for sound advice. But once he went his own way it was all downhill.

And as others have said, if you look at his coaching record before Manly, it wasn't all that good then either. In 2014 he took the reigning U/20s premiers Penrith to a 9th place finish and no Finals. It was the only time in a 6 year stretch (starting in 2012) where the Panthers missed the NYC Finals, and the only time in a 4 year stretch from 2013-2016 where they missed the Grand Final. He had the best team in that competition, and took them backwards.

About the only good thing he did do was continually push for more money input from the Penn's for better facilities and resources. Other than that, lets face reality.....his coaching was a disaster.

. Des has inherited the same squad, has key players unavailable, and yet is getting far better performances.

2017 stats are misleading, Siebold was our defensive coach that year.

So finally some genious has finally admitted that I am 100% correct ... and factors other than just the coach determine outcomes ...

thank you eaglebuzz for confirming for me that in your opinion ... the squad, injuries, and other coaching staff impact on performance ... there are probably 20 to 30 other factors that also impact to a greater or lesser extent ... but thanks for confirming the biggies ..

PSSS ... I am not certain eaglebuzz is bright enough to realise he agrees with me .. but well done to him anyway ...

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8