What Des has inherited

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
It is a constant mystery to me ... that people that apparently love footbal so much ... who have spent many years of their lives watching .... who have spend so much time on a forum discussing .... can still be so absolutely numbnutted about it ......

So many things have to align for any .... repeat any team to succeed .....

To be that ignorant to think that Seibold was the world's best coach last year ..... and yet .... this year has suddenly become a shiitehouse coach ......

That Ivan cleary has gone from a good coach to hopeless overnight ... and that Nathan has gone from SOO superstar to over-rated hilly billy in 5 games ....

That Waynes Bennett coaching ability goes up and down on a weekly basis ..........

I repeat ... many things have to align for any .... any team to succeed ....

Some of you people need to take your finger out of your own arrses ....

Interesting take from journo Nick Tedeschi

Des and the No Names: Des Hasler has done an outstanding job with Manly this year, a truly extraordinary coaching effort. He left Canterbury in absolute disgrace. He has returned to Manly a hero. His job this year has him as the front runner for Coach of the Year honours. He has at his disposal one of the worst rosters available, at least in terms of depth, imaginable. Yet he is getting some heroic performances out of a team that has Brad Parker, Brendan Elliot, Kane Elgey, Jack Goswieski and Reuben Garrick playing key roles. They have less talent than nearly every team but their toughness will take them a long way.

As a Manly supporter I see red just reading that (not about Des coach of the year but the swipe at our players) hopefully Des pins it up, the boys see it was well and rip in next week end.

It is a constant mystery to me ... that people that apparently love footbal so much ... who have spent many years of their lives watching .... who have spend so much time on a forum discussing .... can still be so absolutely numbnutted about it ......

To be that ignorant to think that Seibold was the world's best coach last year ..... and yet .... this year has suddenly become a shiitehouse coach ......

That Ivan cleary has gone from a good coach to hopeless overnight ... and that Nathan has gone from SOO superstar to over-rated hilly billy in 5 games ....

That Waynes Bennett coaching ability goes up and down on a weekly basis ..........

In some ways I think you're arguing against yourself here Woodsie. To me, a never player, the chief attribute of any long term successful coach is man management. Bellamy, Bennett, and Hasler all have it.
Seibold and Cleary have both walked into clubs that require major management of their players and are failing.

It was easy for Cleary at the Tigers to take a disillusioned bunch and get them to believe - our own @BOZO could have done that. But at the Panthers, his half is a goody two shoes daddy's boy surrounded by a bunch who've been portrayed in the media as bad boyz. Huge challenge, failed as man manager.

Similarly. easy for Siebold to show some love to players who'd been flogged to death by Mr Hard Arse my way or the highway. Now he finds himself at a club with players pissed off at the dismissal of the coach who showed them love. Don't want to play for him, failing as man manager.

Bennett has proven himself over decades and continues to do so.

Barrett publicly shamed a young player and thus divided the team. He brought his problems to the media and shared them with a rival team manager who also told all in the media. None of this is man management.

Be it here or the Bulldogs, Hasler's players have always played for their coach.

Signed, No Nuts, Not Numb xxx

Last edited:
TBH, full strength, no cap penalty and possibly full health, Des inherited a pretty good and strong roster (especially 7-17).

01. Tom Trbojevic, Brendan Elliott
02. Jorge Taufua, Tevita Funa, Abbas Miski
03. Albert Hopoate, Brad Parker
04. Dylan Walker, Moses Suli
05. Reuben Garrick, Jade Anderson
06. Kane Elgey, Lachlan Croker
07. Daly Cherry-Evans, Trent Hodkinson
08. Marty Taupau, Lloyd Perrett
09. Apisai Koroisou, Cade Cust
10. Addin Fonua-Blake, Morgan Boyle
11. Joel Thompson, Jack Gosweiski
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Manase Fainu
15. Kelepi Tanginoa, Tof Sipley
16. Taniela Paseka
17. Corey Waddell

And a WHOLE lot of coaching staff and resources. Monaghan, Crusher, Randall, Cartwright, Ballin etc etc etc.

Once back to health, after suspensions, and with time to click (Elgey), no excuses, we should be a 60-70% winning type team, at LEAST.

In some ways I think you're arguing against yourself here Woodsie. To me, a never player, the chief attribute of any long term successful coach is man management. Bellamy, Bennett, and Hasler all have it.
Seibold and Cleary have both walked into clubs that require major management of their players and are failing.

It was easy for Cleary at the Tigers to take a disillusioned bunch and get them to believe - our own @BOZO could have done that. But at the Panthers, his half is a goody two shoes daddy's boy surrounded by a bunch who've been portrayed in the media as bad boyz. Huge challenge, failed as man manager.

Similarly. easy for Siebold to show some love to players who'd been flogged to death by Mr Hard Arse my way or the highway. Now he finds himself at a club with players pissed off at the dismissal of the coach who showed them love. Don't want to play for him, failing as man manager.

Bennett has proven himself over decades and continues to do so.

Barrett publicly shamed a young player and thus divided the team. He brought his problems to the media and shared them with a rival team manager who also told all in the media. None of this is man management.

Be it here or the Bulldogs, Hasler's players have always played for their coach.

Signed, No Nuts, Not Numb xxx

You can find either a positive or negative angle on just about anything ..... or any scenario .... for example I completely disagree with that your read on the Hastings situation ... and could compose an eloquent and most reasonable counter arguement ...

But my main point is that coaches ... no matter who they are .... do not suddenly gain ... nor lose ability over night .. or even year to year ....

Again ... Des was a great coach .... but by the time he left the Doggies they said he was gone ... past it ... lost in the past ... no game plans ... can't relate to the younger players etc etc .... all bloody nonsense of course ....but all stated as fact by the fans on the kennel .. and believed as gospel ....

A coach does make a difference ... but there are so many other factors in play that even good coaches and good teams stumble ... some times it only takes one whiteant to cause disharmony ... other times it only takes one player, see Ben Kennedy, to make a huge difference ....

Yes coaches to have a lot of influence over results .... but some of the things blamed on, credited to, or written about coaches is just utter rubbish ...

Last edited:
yes as they believed they were owed money as they took unders when De$ was coach. This was widely know as the reason DCE was on the outer as he took a moderate pay contract (for a half back) and tore the team in half creating disharmony and getting Tooves the punt in the end.
Wow talk about a long bow

Ah but it is a result based business!

Good ownership is proactive and ahead of the game and opposition. Poor ownership is reactionary, and slow to react or to make change.

Yes ... in our case good ownership is not thinking you know diddly squat about running a football team and going to the USA and leave professionals to get on with the job .....

Didn’t the same crowd own us when we won a premiership?
Anyway, the thing I have noticed so far this year is no bitchin and moaning about admin and head office dramas! No talk of sacking the CEO!..... so far!

You mean Max Delmege .... the bloke Penn royally shafted without even a reach around .....

After Macquire told him he must be joking ... and he was forced by public outrage to swallow his pride and re-hire Dessie .... I think he has been told to go to the states, keep quite, and just sign the cheques ......and let Dessie and Gorman get on with it .....

First thing they did was approve all the things that Barrett had requested ....

Yes ... in our case good ownership is not thinking you know diddly squat about running a football team and going to the USA and leave professionals to get on with the job .....
So Woodsie, just in translation, my Scottish isn't the best, good ownership is NOT thinking you know NOTHING about running a football team and going to the states to let professionals run it?
Just need clarification.
Been a looong weekend ....

Last edited:
As a Manly supporter I see red just reading that (not about Des coach of the year but the swipe at our players) hopefully Des pins it up, the boys see it was well and rip in next week end.
Well it is kind of true our roster is not great, but they are playing as a team. Don't be fooled we will need to bring in some better players if we are to win another premiership and beat the likes of the Roosters and Storm.

Well it is kind of true our roster is not great, but they are playing as a team. Don't be fooled we will need to bring in some better players if we are to win another premiership and beat the likes of the Roosters and Storm.

Of course we do and we will, but it is still a slight on the players named, and while they pull that Manly jumper on, give 110% with attitude like they are and giving it every shot they can, any article that is written by an outsider slighting these players will get me seeing red as I would hope any Manly supporter.
Just want the named players to fire up, the rest of the team to do like wise come out and smash the Raiders this weekend.

Hear hear.

We could have avoided so much time wastage and poor decisions this way.

Stubbornness and ego play a part too I think mate.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8