We miss out again on Stadium handout

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
All I will say is ask Brad hazzard he is the member who is responsible for the northern beaches funding of Brookvale it’s in his seat of wakehurst.

he has been in long enough yet still has got nothing for Brookvale oval
DCECD51A-CB48-4A7C-9A5E-2182BFFCCC3D.jpeg

This doesn’t do it for you? A $33m+ investment in the ground’s future. Brought to you by state govt funding.
7070F7DA-E6A9-4C6C-B643-E14D5148BD85.jpeg

After the building and opening of the Arko Stand, the major works to Brookie have been the installing of lights and the extension to the Jane Try Stand. Not a new stand mind you, just a 20-30 metre extension that looks exactly the same as the rest of the stand.

The CoE is really the first really major redevelopment of Brookie since the Arko Stand.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the NRL in Sydney/NSW since the mid-90s.....

• Campbelltown got completely redeveloped to what it is now.
  • Kogarah got major renovations while PM John Howard was the clubs #1 ticket holder.
  • Newcastle Stadium was almost completely re-developed with two brand new grandstands
  • Wollongong Showground got a new stand backing onto their Entertainment Centre, plus the old grandstand was torn down and replaced with a 2 tier structure.
  • Endeavour received a new stand and is now temporarily closed while under major re-development.
  • Parramatta Stadium was torn down completely and replaced with bankwest.
  • The SFS was torn down after only 30 years and is now being rebuilt into the same size, but will obviously be much more modern.

Brookvale and Penrith are the only full time NRL venues in Sydney or NSW that have not received major upgrades over the past 27 years, and I'm not 100% sure about Penrith in that category (I've not included the SCG as its really only being used as a temporary venue by the Chooks until the new SFS is built and opened).

After the building and opening of the Arko Stand, the major works to Brookie have been the installing of lights and the extension to the Jane Try Stand. Not a new stand mind you, just a 20-30 metre extension that looks exactly the same as the rest of the stand.

The CoE is really the first really major redevelopment of Brookie since the Arko Stand.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the NRL in Sydney/NSW since the mid-90s.....

• Campbelltown got completely redeveloped to what it is now.
  • Kogarah got major renovations while PM John Howard was the clubs #1 ticket holder.
  • Newcastle Stadium was almost completely re-developed with two brand new grandstands
  • Wollongong Showground got a new stand backing onto their Entertainment Centre, plus the old grandstand was torn down and replaced with a 2 tier structure.
  • Endeavour received a new stand and is now temporarily closed while under major re-development.
  • Parramatta Stadium was torn down completely and replaced with bankwest.
  • The SFS was torn down after only 30 years and is now being rebuilt into the same size, but will obviously be much more modern.

Brookvale and Penrith are the only full time NRL venues in Sydney or NSW that have not received major upgrades over the past 27 years, and I'm not 100% sure about Penrith in that category (I've not included the SCG as its really only being used as a temporary venue by the Chooks until the new SFS is built and opened).
Let’s break it down:

Newcastle and Wollongong, respectively NSW’s 2nd and 3rd largest cities. They deserve decent stadiums. Enough said.

Endeavour: $9.6m grant from the feds to build their dinky little southern stand completed in 2008, a then contemporary version of the 1979 equivalent at Brookvale. Any work in the previous 12 years (adhering to your 25 year window) like TV standard lighting, new seating, et al, was largely a part of their windfall for joining Superleague.

The current work there is primarily associated with LC upgrades, commercial development etc, funded from their real estate dealings. Here is a link: PointsBet Stadium Redevelopment (Shark Park) | Austadiums

Penrith: like Cronulla, benefited from their SL foray. I believe they funded TV standard lighting from that windfall. About $30m was spent on extending and upgrading the western stand and amenities’ improvements at the southern end, after discovering they couldn’t build a new stand there because of a water mains underneath, which would have blown the budget. Penrith Stadium - Wikipedia (some of the dates are wobbly).

Kogarah: probably around $25-30m spent in tranches since c.2002 to get it to where it is now. Netstrata Jubilee Stadium | Austadiums

Campbelltown: redeveloped in the lead up to the Sydney Olympics. About $22m spent. Campbelltown Stadium | Austadiums

My point? In the same 25 year period from 1996 onwards and since emerging from the uncertainties of the Superleague War and a JV with Norths, about $45-50m will have been spent at Brookvale by the start of next season.

Here is a breakdown:

I am relying in general on my memory, so some of the earlier amounts could be rubbery, but they are relatively small anyway!

Approx. $200-400k on tennis boxes in the southern part of the JT stand prior to the 2003 season.

Approx. $800k on an electronic scoreboard and more tennis boxes, this time at the northern of the JT stand, in time for the 2004 season. Those monies largely from the state government.

$1m for TV standard lighting in time for the 2006 season. All up let’s say $2.2m over about three years. Funded by the feds.

Over $10m from 2007 onwards ($4m from Council, $6m from the state, plus additional money to replace the SE entrance in accordance with enforceable OHS requirements). The bulk was spent on new seating across all stands, expanded corporate facilities in the KA stand and the northern extension of the JT stand - including more corporate facilities, amenities and a kiosk. All works completed c.2012.

A permanent video screen, c.2018/19. Let’s say $0.8-1m. Just prior to that, the ground’s second personnel lift, for the KA stand. An earlier one was included in the JT extension. Let’s say $0.8m for the newer one. Council funding.

And now the CoE and stand - budgeted at $33.1m. Largely state government funding, with the club chipping in.

Then Council are providing $1.2m for a relaid playing surface and new boundary fencing.

Those figures are notional - noting that with (albeit low) inflation over the last 25-30 years, those earlier figures would be somewhat higher in 2021 dollars. So in current dollars, monies spent on Brookvale Oval over the last quarter century could exceed $50m, once current and envisaged works are completed.

Remembering too that just prior to your timeframe, around $3.5-4m was spent on the KA stand and other works, completed in 1995.

That looks quite impressive against the Penrith, Endeavour, Campbelltown and Kogarah examples. Sure much of the money is for the CoE, but that is integral to the ground. A clever move.

Thanks for reading. Ciao.

Not sure what ever came out of the stupid ayres ICAC investigation, guessing his Mrs pulled a few favours to make it go away

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4