We miss out again on Stadium handout

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
When it says Parnthers will be first, I doubt we would have to wait until 2025 to get any funding. I wouldn't be surprised to see us get an upgrade at the same time as the Panthers rebuild.

After the building and opening of the Arko Stand, the major works to Brookie have been the installing of lights and the extension to the Jane Try Stand. Not a new stand mind you, just a 20-30 metre extension that looks exactly the same as the rest of the stand.

The CoE is really the first really major redevelopment of Brookie since the Arko Stand.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the NRL in Sydney/NSW since the mid-90s.....

• Campbelltown got completely redeveloped to what it is now.
  • Kogarah got major renovations while PM John Howard was the clubs #1 ticket holder.
  • Newcastle Stadium was almost completely re-developed with two brand new grandstands
  • Wollongong Showground got a new stand backing onto their Entertainment Centre, plus the old grandstand was torn down and replaced with a 2 tier structure.
  • Endeavour received a new stand and is now temporarily closed while under major

Brookvale and Penrith are the only full time NRL venues in Sydney or NSW that have not received major upgrades over the past 27 years, and I'm not 100% sure about Penrith in that category (I've not included the SCG as its really only being used as a temporary venue by the Chooks until the new SFS is built and opened).
Whenever I go to Penrith i I always say that it would be nice if Manly has a stadium as nice as this one, and they want to demolish it, go figure?

Whenever I go to Penrith i I always say that it would be nice if Manly has a stadium as nice as this one, and they want to demolish it, go figure?

Apart from the home team, what was wrong with Parramatta Stadium that it needed knocking down and replaced?

Not sure where to shove this but...

ef me...

Just how much more $$$ can varoius govt's regurgitate down the abyss that is parra?

The Parramatta Eels have unveiled plans for a $60 million high-performance rugby league facility that will ensure the club remains a long-term powerhouse in Sydney’s west.

The $60 million project is being jointly funded by the Eels, Hills Council and the Federal Government and will be the biggest in the southern hemisphere for a sporting outfit.

Talks are continuing with the State government for extra funding.

Manly should start complaining about the swans as all westies do is go "GWS afl team waaaah!!!!" and govt's come running with buckets of cash.

Imagine what they'd get if they ever won something?

sigh...there we go

Penrith and Parramatta will meet in a western Sydney blockbuster in the unfamiliar surrounds of Queensland on Saturday night. A decade ago, these mortal enemies were locked in a turf war as rugby league’s heartland came under assault from the AFL and GWS.

Point 1 - I hate the bloody Eels

Point 2 - they've already got ermine lined seats in the stadium, a hundred million juniors, and a nod and a wink from the NRL to cheat as much as they like, and a lot of good it does them.

Point 3 - I hate the bloody Eels.

Point 4 - what a surprise. A government acting unconscionably and splashing the cash to buy votes in the golden West.

Point 5 - I hate the bloody Eels.

Point 6 - why should the government care if people in St Mary's follow league or AFL. They are both working class sports with the same demographic. A few Liberal voters jumped on board when GWS kicked off but I doubt that many of them live in Parra.

Point 6 - I hate etc

So we get 30M for our COE, but that includes 3000 seats as part of Brookie oval. But nothing else to bring Brookie oval into the 22nd century.

Eels already have a 300m stadium and now a 60M COE.

Corruption anyone??

Spending money on a team that is supported by people that are living the draconian (trust me I’m living it) lockdown enforced on the people living in what is now dubbed Afgladystan.

Wouldn’t be buying votes they fear they have lost would they?

So we get 30M for our COE, but that includes 3000 seats as part of Brookie oval. But nothing else to bring Brookie oval into the 22nd century.

Eels already have a 300m stadium and now a 60M COE.

Corruption anyone??

Sounds like the state government is trying the buy votes since the west is key for state governments to be re-elected.

The $100 million plan to return Leichhardt Oval to former glory

Leichhardt Oval would be given a multimillion-dollar upgrade under a plan by Sydney’s Inner West Council to restore the site to its former glory as the “eighth wonder of the world” – but only if the state and federal governments cough up fresh funding.

Inner West councillors will meet on Tuesday to discuss a master plan developed by the council to fix the stadium, which borders on a state of disrepair.

Paint is peeling off the western grandstand and some toilets are so dilapidated they have been shut for years, and last year a railing collapsed mid-match, sending spectators crashing to the ground.

The plan would result in new seating being installed and an additional grandstand built on the northern end of the stadium, plus refreshed male and female change rooms and a museum of Inner West Rugby League.

The council’s “major option” for the venue costs $98.3 million, which would fund a raised roof for the main section of the stadium seating, a new media level, expanded corporate facilities, and upgraded facilities for both male and female players.

A $45 million moderate option would introduce new corporate facilities and an upgraded lounge, as well as a new ramp entryway for ambulance access.

But how many of those plans end up going ahead depends almost entirely on how much money the state and federal governments provide.

“We’re deliberately putting forward a range of options that can be mixed and matched depending on the level of funding available,” said Inner West Mayor Darcy Byrne.

Inner West Council has struggled to maintain the venue, which it has partly blamed on the previous state government’s WestInvest funding arrangements that did not allocate money to its area. Redevelopments of Leichhardt, Brookvale and Cronulla’s stadiums were put on the backburner last year after the allocated funding was used to support victims of the state’s flooding crisis.

“We don’t want to dictate to the state and federal governments, but we point out that Leichhardt Oval is the only [stadium] that has missed out altogether and it can be saved for a fraction [of what has been spent on BlueBet Penrith Stadium],” Byrne said.

“This is not a huge investment when you compare it against the billions that have been spent on shiny new stadiums.”

The council’s campaign is supported by Peter V’landys, chair of the Australian Rugby League Commission.

“We are in good talks with the NSW government and we continue to have those discussions in good faith, but we do appreciate their budget situation at the moment,” he said. “Our objective is [to] improve all our suburban stadiums to promote tribalism in our game.”

NSW Sports Minister Steve Kamper said the government would follow the proper process for allocating funding.

“We will evaluate the proposal on its merits and will continue to work collaboratively with the Inner West Council,” he said.

The master plan is welcome news to Balmain Tigers legend Paul Sironen, who played back-to-back grand finals for the club in 1988 and 1989. He said the facelift to Leichhardt was a long time coming, but he hoped the ground still retained its historic charm.

“I’ll wait until it’s all constructed and in place first before I believe it. We have had a couple of false starts over the years, but it looks like it might finally get the funding that the old girl certainly needs,” he said.

“The hill on Sundays is what the romance is all about, it retains its charm with the hill, but it does need to come up into the 21st century.”

Balmain legends Benny Elias and Steve Roach would love to see Leichhardt finally get some love. The pair played more than a combined 400 games for the Tigers - they also represented Australia - and have been impressed by the plans they have seen.

Elias described the plans as “a long time coming,” while Roach, the front-rower affectionately known as ‘Blocker’, said the stadium was “the best setting in sport”.

“It’s not only special to us players who played our whole careers there, but it’s special to anyone who has ever played there,” Roach said. “It’s the Eighth Wonder of the world.”

“It’s not just a rugby league ground, but the juniors play there, rugby, soccer ... surely that needs to come into consideration [when it comes to funding].”

Wests Tigers have already recently received $70-$80M for their centre of excellence, as well as money spent out at Campbelltown, which is way more than we have received

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4