Watmough Unleashes On DCE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I remember when DCE was on his original low contract (? end 2011 early 2012) that Phil Rothfield was writing articles in the telecrap critcising Manly management for NOT upgrading DCE to a contract worthy of his current value, which was for a premiership winning half and Australian representative. It'll be interesting to see if Rothfield gets invovled and sticks the boot into DCE now that Choc has come out and opened his big mouth again. If he sides with Choc, just goes to show what a hypocrite Rothfield is.

I doubt there would be a person on this site that wouldn't want their fair worth when he signed his next contract.

I dont think choc was telling cherry to not worry about being on 50k. He was just trying to say look we all make sacrifices for this club but you still need to come to training. 50k is not comparable to choc's salary but 50k was still cherry's salary and cherry was still getting paid to do a job and that job is football and that requires showing up for training. To have someone go through 10 years of success with a club and take unders for god knows how long to make sure the playing group could stay together, to have some smarmy mouth kid throw his lollies and basically say stuff the boys stuff the club I wont put in until i get more money. Jesus christ no wonder he pissed the boys off. Now cherry was an amazing player at the time, he deserved the extra cash, but did the club and the playing group deserve the attitude and tantrums? Did they deserve everything that happened with him shopping himself around to the titans, sharks bulldogs whoever else he went to in that ridiculous time? Maybe he should have waited until his current contract ran out and then look for the upgrade, not force the upgrade prematurely and piss every one else off because they've been receiving less money for years so everyone could stay together. The club has stunk of crap for years and the at the centre of every single bad smell is Daly Cherry-Evans.

Can't agree. We already have far too many non-manly blow ins in our coaching, admin and playing ranks. Good player he may be, but manly to the core his is not. Has to be jake.

You have forgotten his Mum is maroon and white and he was a childhood fan. Jake definitely long term captain but I’d let this season from hell blow over first so he can concentrate on his footy.

Seriously what a load of crap.

More Manly bashing from a bitter and jealous ex footballer who didn't hesitate to take the money elsewhere when the writing was on the wall for him at Manly (past his used by date). I'm sure he didn't look back when he was taking his full salary and then Insurance payout from his doomed Parra stint !!

Sorry Choc you have lost me why take the opportunity of having a dig when the Club (you supposedly loved) is currently at its lowest ebb. Just typifies what type of person you really are !!

ZomboMeme 13062018145257 choc.jpg

Interesting about 2 mins of a 40 odd minute podcast is the clickbait headline.
As I wrote earlier, he bagged Des, the board, Tooves and indirectly Wolfie too but they're not in the frame anymore.

And as for Chez wanting more money or boycotting training it would have been his manager that was agitating for that and if you respect your manager you'll take his advice as that is what you're paying him for.
Also factor in that he left Qld at 18 to play NYC for Manly and in his 2nd year helped win the minor premiership and along with Foz, JWH and Buhrer made the NYC team of the year (2009)
Then sent back to Q Cup to play reggies for us where they came third, was Rookie and Player of the year and captained the Qld Residents team. ( 2010 )
Topped off the next year with an NRL Premiership (2011)

So in the space of three years he went from a nobody to being named by the Rugby League International Federation in its annual awards as the world's best halfback for 2011. *thanks Wiki

If that had happened to most of us we would probably suffer from a big case of FIGJAM syndrome too.

I would think his manager wouldn't have been doing his job if he didn't stick his hand out and hold Manly over a barrel to get a substantial pay rise.
Yes, there's always the argument, just wait you'll get a pay rise soon but footballers are one injury away from it being all over so take it while you can.

As a fan, to be honest I'm just sick to death of reading negative stories about Manly almost every day! What was the point of even writing such a story?? As a Manly fan, we kind of expect it these days, when we are not winning, every man and their dog love to have a dig at us.

I feel a bit for cherry, i don't think there is another player who plays with more pressure then he does week in week out. He cops it from the media, QLD, his own fans, plus has the added pressure of being captain and if we don't win, more often than not he gets the blame. He is playing like it at the moment too. Tough times at the club, what a victory would do to help bring back some enjoyment for everyone

What I will find amusing is ..... that many people will believe everything Choc has said ......

That is of course excluding the bit about Baz being an outstanding coach and having done everything right at Manly (except Hastings) and that a lessor man wouldn't still be there .........
I suspect Watmough will have the last say on the matter because Tooves and DCE won’t stoop to his level

Your obsevation would be a more than fair one if not for one thing; that it is Cherry-Evans. This is a guy that has admitted on league life, that his response to the media is scripted, which shows insincerity. It would also seem that, unless otherwise proven, he was refusing to train until his salary was increased. Given his behaviour during the Titans contract saga, I could believe that. I struggle to see alot of integrity in the club captain. If he is not mimicking a politician, he can also be defensive and a little passive aggressive too. Bear in mind that other players have families, a number of them are committed to them too. Some NRL club captains go to strip clubs as well.

I don’t think it shows insincerity at all; I think it shows a good understanding that the media have their own agenda and will twist anything you say for their own purposes. It shows a bit more sense and savvy than the average boofhead to be careful about what you say to them.

I’ve made the point before that for all the ‘doesn’t play well with others’ crap that gets bandied around about DCE, how interesting that it’s some of the unquestionable good guys of the club that he seems to have been mates with - Jamie Buhrer, for one. And now apparently Joel Thompson has taken his side as well. Looks like he rubbed a few of the booze and nose candy crew up the wrong way by not wanting to join in, and he’s continuing to pay for it.

I don’t get what strip clubs have to do with anything. Said it before, my partner goes to them when he’s up north working in the mining towns - it’s the least likely place in town to get into any trouble, or be fending off attention from girls seeing dollar signs when they spot the mining guys. Would be no different for footy players.

Im 99% sure DCE first contract at Manly was a 3 year deal for 450k (150K Per season) not this 50k per season choc is talking about.

Anyway i must admit after winning a premiership in his first season in 1st Grade then the following season he played for Aust & Qld all of a sudden he wanted an upgrade there and then was bad news for our club. He would have got 30k a game as a minimum playing for QLD and Aust wasnt that enough to keep him happy until his contract ended...These players are all money hungry and have no idea of reality.

I'm of the opinion if you sign a contract you honour it.... DCE should have stayed on a 150k for 3 seasons and then got the huge upgrade he deserved.

The fact he cried poor will always haunt him.

Do you honestly think DCE would reduce his contract to be more inline of what his current form is worth, I DON'T THINK SO !!

Whether choc is wrong or right is irrelevant one thing for sure is i cant recall any other play ever being disgruntled with his salary like DCE or has any other playing caused as much controversy at our Club.

Having come from the "wrong side of the tracks" in western Sydney myself, I generally agree. But the issue I have with DCE is he has always been about himself. That might be fine, but he is playing a team sport, and that attitude means he is not, and will never be, a leader of men. Who would feel inspired to follow someone into battle who puts himself above his team mates. It's an attitude which is completely incompatible with being a captain/leader, and can only create a toxic culture. Which is exactly what we have.

I tend to agree that being the guy who’s a bit of a square peg probably doesn’t lend itself to the captaincy role. But I don’t think it’s because he’s putting himself above other players (even if that’s how some might perceive it) - you get the sense he understands better than most that this is a short period in his life where he gets an opportunity to set himself and his family up for life, and he needs to maximise it while he can. Say whatever you like about him, DCE won’t be one of the dumb footballers who ends up penniless and asking where it all went a few years after retirement. He probably won’t be one whose life revolves around footy and trying to stay relevant after retirement either.

I haven't read the whole thread yet but didn't Watmough have a backended contract which meant he didn't really drop money but had it deferred? I remember reading his last year or so was worth $900,000 due to a backended contract. If you can believe those things of course.......:wasntme:
@Ryan i recall hearing similar to this & although i don't expect you to go into any detail,was this info above correct(regarding the back ended deal not the $)?

The thing about DCE is that there are too many former team mates from Manly and Qld (and possibly one or two in our current squad) who all basically say the same thing about him and don't want to know him.

I don't know him personally so on that I won't pass judgement. But where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

Who are these former team mates from Manly that actually said anything?

I can only recall Whatnow ever saying anything. The senior members he talks so fondly about at least have class and don’t add their 2 cents worth. Pity Whatnow doesn’t follow suit...

I don’t think it shows insincerity at all; I think it shows a good understanding that the media have their own agenda and will twist anything you say for their own purposes. It shows a bit more sense and savvy than the average boofhead to be careful about what you say to them.

I’ve made the point before that for all the ‘doesn’t play well with others’ crap that gets bandied around about DCE, how interesting that it’s some of the unquestionable good guys of the club that he seems to have been mates with - Jamie Buhrer, for one. And now apparently Joel Thompson has taken his side as well. Looks like he rubbed a few of the booze and nose candy crew up the wrong way by not wanting to join in, and he’s continuing to pay for it.

I don’t get what strip clubs have to do with anything. Said it before, my partner goes to them when he’s up north working in the mining towns - it’s the least likely place in town to get into any trouble, or be fending off attention from girls seeing dollar signs when they spot the mining guys. Would be no different for footy players.

I need to contact your partner and get some tips about fending off attention from girls ......

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8