Watmough never again in a Manly jersey?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

fLIP

UFO Hunter
I would assume a back ended contract is still averaged out at the point of termination.

So you are offered 1 million over 3 years. 150k first year, 150k second and 700k the third. Technically speaking over the duration the club is paying 333k a season. I would then assume that if you terminate after season 2 having been paid 300k you are still technically owed 666k. meaning the club should pay you out the 366k you would have lost over that duration after being backended which never came.

As for how the club is penalised for paying a player this way I dont know. But its nessisary because you cant have underhanded dealings where a club signs cam smith to 4 years and pays him just 50k a year only to get a free we'll pay you out when you "leave after season 3".

Loobs

Living in the demountable.
The 300k isn't salary it's defferred bonuses hes owes from past years. He's earned that coin from Manly regardless of how he goes out.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
what if it's all just a media beat, choc has sorted out any issues, and really wants to stay at Manly?

anthonyb1965

GO Manly
globaleagle said:
what if it's all just a media beat, choc has sorted out any issues, and really wants to stay at Manly?

After thinking about this, I am hoping this is actually the case, he has already sorted it and staying.
The only reason that would affect his Manly status is if he has lied and already made a deal.

simon64

It's not a lie, if you believe it.
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Frankly (and I don't think I'm the only one) I've had a gutful of the whole thing.

The fans have stood by Choc and the club has paid him very well to play the game he loves.

So if he wants to stay, stay. But if he thinks he'd be better of at Parramatta, he can pack his bags and go.

But he better not expect the sort of reception afforded to Gift or Kitey. It'll be more in line with the greeting handed out to Despicable....and I'll be front and centre.

globaleagle said:

Then the last two months of his agitations would be for nothing-give me a break. I don't care if he stays or goes-It's the bloody disruption and carrying on from him that has me dark. Therefore his legacy is tainted. Respect and decent moral behavior is what I expected. Go with dignity if you must go.
Everybody talks about him leaving for good money-that is BS!
He is leaving because he cannot get his own way and wants to be a BULLY! Honestly-we will be better off without him. In the serious stakes as a player he is on the decline anyway. That's the way it pans out.

the mauler

Bencher
Wombat Legacy said:
globaleagle said:

Then the last two months of his agitations would be for nothing-give me a break. I don't care if he stays or goes-It's the bloody disruption and carrying on from him that has me dark. Therefore his legacy is tainted. Respect and decent moral behavior is what I expected. Go with dignity if you must go.
He is leaving because he cannot get his own way and wants to be a BULLY! Honestly-we will be better off without him. In the serious stakes as a player he is on the decline anyway. That's the way it pans out.

Mate if he does leave its for more money and a longer contracts, not because he didn't get his way.
If Manly offered him the same deal he'd be staying.

panash

Reserve Grader
the mauler said:
Wombat Legacy said:
globaleagle said:

Mate if he does leave its for more money and a longer contracts, not because he didn't get his way.

Maybe so. But they didn't offer him the same deal. ( maybe for various reasons who knows ) though he has acted like a spoilt child , took shots at certain players and most importantly he ruined our year !!!

Believe what you like.

tookey

First Grader
Manly star Anthony Watmough reportedly made a farewell speech of sorts to teammates following the Sea Eagles' exit from the finals race on Saturday night. Choc wanted to let the players know how much they meant to him (well, most of them) and how he appreciated playing alongside them at such a great club. He then took an each-way bet, adding that if he was still at the club in 2015, he would continue to give it everything. But the odds of Watmough being at Brookvale next year are lengthening by the day. The rep back-rower is making his displeasure known loud and clear and Manly may decide they are better off cutting him loose a year earlier and releasing him to Parramatta. The problem is, they can then expect a tap on the door from Steve Matai and Brett Stewart asking why their release requests have been knocked back.

Eagles2nv

DESpicable Manly
tookey said:
Manly star Anthony Watmough reportedly made a farewell speech of sorts to teammates following the Sea Eagles' exit from the finals race on Saturday night. Choc wanted to let the players know how much they meant to him (well, most of them) and how he appreciated playing alongside them at such a great club. He then took an each-way bet, adding that if he was still at the club in 2015, he would continue to give it everything. But the odds of Watmough being at Brookvale next year are lengthening by the day. The rep back-rower is making his displeasure known loud and clear and Manly may decide they are better off cutting him loose a year earlier and releasing him to Parramatta. The problem is, they can then expect a tap on the door from Steve Matai and Brett Stewart asking why their release requests have been knocked back.

Source?

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
panash said:
the mauler said:
Wombat Legacy said:
globaleagle said:

Maybe so. But they didn't offer him the same deal. ( maybe for various reasons who knows ) though he has acted like a spoilt child , took shots at certain players and most importantly he ruined our year !!!

Believe what you like.

The notion going around that Watmough single handedly ruined our season is ridiculous

Mavin

Bencher
Kiwi Eagle said:
panash said:
the mauler said:
Wombat Legacy said:
globaleagle said:

Believe what you like.

The notion going around that Watmough single handedly ruined our season is ridiculous
I don't believe he ruined the year but as a senior player he sure didn't help it.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Mavin said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
panash said:
the mauler said:
Wombat Legacy said:

Believe what you like.

I don't believe he ruined the year but as a senior player he sure didn't help it.

And that is a fair statement

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Manly’s Anthony Watmough is set to join the Parramatta Eels in 2015

JOSH MASSOUD
The Daily Telegraph
September 23, 2014 12:00AM

DISGRUNTLED Sea Eagles star Anthony Watmough is expected to be granted an immediate release this week, enabling him to join Parramatta next season.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the majority of Manly’s retention committee is now comfortable with Watmough leaving a year before his contract expires.

The decision still requires the endorsement of head coach Geoff Toovey, but that would appear highly likely given the three other committee members — Dave Perry, Steve Gigg and David Warwick — are not inclined to block Watmough from going immediately.

The committee is expected to have further discussions over the next 48 hours, prior to an announcement closer to the weekend.

The only sticking point is how much Manly are willing to contribute towards Watmough’s salary for next year.

Under his back-ended Manly contract, Watmough was due to earn $970,000 next year. The inflated pay day is due to $300,000 worth of bonuses that have been deferred over the course of his previous three years at Brookvale. Manly are contractually obliged to pay Watmough the entire amount, regardless of whether he stays or goes.

However, Parramatta have been under immense salary cap pressure and will struggle to contribute a significant sum toward Watmough’s contract next year. It’s understood the total payout from Manly could go as high as $350,000 — still leaving the NSW Origin back rower $620,000 short on what he stands to earn on the Northern Beaches in 2015.

Even with a raft of third party deals, Parramatta are no chance of making up the shortfall. The alternative is to back-end the difference across the remaining seasons of Watmough’s new Eels contract, which could now be as long as four years.

Turning 31 in a fortnight’s time, Watmough is confident that he can continue until the end of 2018 and possibly become rugby league’s most-capped Australian first grader. He has already made 286 NRL appearances — just 69 short of the 355-game record that’s held by Broncos great Darren Lockyer.

Aside from his displeasure with the club’s treatment of good mate Glenn Stewart, Watmough fell-out with Sea Eagles officials over their refusal to offer him a three-year extension in July. Manly wanted to secure him for life with a two-year extension worth $1.2 million, but the local junior was adamant that he wouldn’t contemplate anything less than three years.

A life member of the club who debuted in 2002, he felt he was worthy of a handsome final contract and was also sensitive after Stewart’s departure, as well as that of prop Brent Kite to Penrith a year earlier.

If the figures add up, Manly could have as much as $600,000 worth of additional breathing space under their salary cap next year.

The clear priority would be props, with only a relatively small fraction of their cap invested in front rowers Brenton Lawrence, James Hasson and Josh Starling. Co-captain Jason King has also retired, leaving the Sea Eagles another man short up front.

The extra space could also be used to front-load new deals for halves Keiran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans, both of whom the Sea Eagles are desperate to keep beyond the end of their deals next season.

Loobs

Living in the demountable.
PLEASE BACK END THIS DEAL PARRA!

4 years at big coin for a guy who's 31 with that much wear... Look, I think despite everything that's been said and done or not said and done or whatever has actually occurred, Choc obviously thinks he has a bit left and can play on so if they've put something like that in front of him, take it - he doesn't have the brains to say do what Kingie has done and get an education. His footy money will have to stretch for a long time.

So I'd much rather Parra pay it than Manly, that's for sure. Also better he breaks any game records somewhere. Cliffy and Beaver deserve to hold down the Manly ones until someone else of their calibre comes along.

eagle40

Reserve Grader
Refusing to speak to Cherry Evans, destabilising the team is what brought the end to our form and ultimately the season.
Bigger than the Club. Thanks for the highs and the very lows Choc.

panash

Reserve Grader
Kiwi Eagle said:
panash said:
the mauler said:
Wombat Legacy said:
globaleagle said:

Believe what you like.

What a coincidence !!! Supposedly our best forward is gone. If he was so important on & OFF the field considering he has been there for a long time , I wonder why the Club didn't do its best to keep him. ????????????

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
14 7 7 -79 18