Walker to 5/8 our X factor for finals

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Manly as a whole did not handle the NZ spoiling tactics, which was what halted momentum and created a very flat attacking platform
The best halves in footy history will struggle in this situation
The multi tackling of 3-5 every tackle and latitude in time on the player not only slows the play and makes the attacking formation appear flatter, is shown up even more as it allows those edge defenders out of the blocks at guess who - Mr Walker

47MVEagle

Bencher
Remember our leaky defence started appearing as soon as Walker came back at centre from his stand down suspension.

Our defence improved markedly once Walker moved into the halves - granted that was also down to Parker returning at centre & his defence is underrated.

I just think we'd be better off with as few positional changes as possible, so someone (Garrick, Funa) straight in at centre for Parker & leave Walker in the halves.

At any rate Des will know what to do so shall have to wait & see.

Paw93

Reserve Grader
I'd prefer Walker back to centre and Croker at 6. I assume Garrick prefers right centre seeing as he is camped on right wing, so do we move Suli to LHS and disrupt both sides of the defensive structure just to give him a go at centre again?? or do we just push Dylan wider and bring Croker in on left. Walker can roam a bit in attack if he wants anyway. That'd be my preference.
Agreed. If Parker were in then I'd keep the team the same but with Parker out, Croker comes into the halves and Walker goes back to centre. We also can't afford Cust's defence on the left to bring him back.

Cade cust
Games 7
Tries 4
Try assists 6
Line break assists 5
Forced drop outs 4
Tackle breaks 13
Tackle efficiency 79%

Walker at 5.8
Games 4
Tries 0
Try assists 2
Line breaks 0
Forced drop outs 2
Tackle breaks 5
Tackle efficiency 79%

Hmmmm stats dont lie ;) and cust is a rookie! Is walker really the answer at 5.8 or are we getting carried away cos he's done better there under des?

Last edited:

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Cade cust
Games 7
Tries 4
Try assists 6
Line break assists 5
Forced drop outs 4
Tackle efficiency 79%

Walker at 5.8
Games 4
Tries 0
Try assists 2
Line break assists 0
Forced drop outs 2
Tackle efficiency 79%

Hmmmm stats dont lie ;) and cust is a rookie! Is walker really the answer at 5.8 or are we getting carried away cos he's done better there under des?

Looking at those stats from Cust he has been our most affective 5/8

In regards to Walker . Is he a better centre or 5/8 ?

Walkers best games have been at centre as he is a runner .

I would play him in the position that he plays best in

40 nil

It's only a game ...

IMO, the backline as a whole has functioned more smoothly with Walker as five eighth - he tends to take right options in attack & his tactical kicking has been mostly spot on. Tonight, our forwards never got any real roll on & our halves were cramped as a result.

Last edited:

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Stats are like mini skirts, what they show is great, but what they hide is vital

Walker has offered far better service to the left hand side with earlier and more precise ball. Cust stifles our attack’s big time and often takes the poorer option

Think how many times we saw Thommo/Walker/Taufua in space with good ball outside Cust compared to Thommo/ Parker/Taufua outside Walker and its chalk and cheese

Cust has a future but is a long way off in many areas of his game

susan

Bencher
Not panic at all. You're basing your statements that Walker should remain at 5.8 on a couple of decent games??? The fact of the matter is he has been ok at 5.8 without being great. Has he had a try assist? A line break assist? Maybe 1 forced drop out?
Compare these stats to cust in a similar amount of games and youll see its not panic its just fact!!!
I use my eyes. We beat Melbourne in Melbourne with him at 5/8.Since his inclusion we have played direct with him at five eight, his passing game has been superb on the edges and his kicking surprisingly good.
The one weakness in DCEs game is his tendency to crab across field and cramp his outside menand we lose that directness ( which Walker has a tendency to do a bit at centre as well). At 5/8 Walker has kept our play direct with a lot of work in the middle third where Marty AFB Tommy and Fainu have fun riot.
We have been playing superb football lately and in the back of one flat game in the wet in NZ after being up for weeks Walker cops the wrap.
Cust has got talent but he is not in Walkers league as yet.
I’m not sure what Des will do re Parker but my main point is pinning that loss on a guy who has been mainly responsible for getting us playing to our strengths in the middle is not looking at the big picture.

Last edited:
I use my eyes. We beat Melbourne in Melbourne with him at 5/8.Since his inclusion we have played direct with him at five eight, his passing game has been superb on the edges and his kicking surprisingly good.He has not been ok at five eight , he has been very good and drawing plaudits for his efforts from good judges.
The one weakness in DCEs game is his tendency to crab across field and cramp his outside menand we lose that directness ( which Walker has a tendency to do a bit at centre as well). At 5/8 Walker has kept our play direct with a lot of work in the middle third where Marty AFB Tommy and Fainu have fun riot.
We have been playing superb football lately and in the back of one flat game in the wet in NZ after being up for weeks Walker. Ops the wrap.
Cust has got talent but he is not in Walkers league.
I’m not sure what Des will do re Parker but my main point is pinning that loss on a guy who has been mainly responsible for getting us playing to our strengths in the middle is not looking at the big picture.
Im not pinning the loss on walker at all. He has been solid but as a playmaker i would expect more. Also im not saying Cust should come straight back in, in purely showing the fact that as a ball playing 5/8 walker isnt performing in those key areas. I actually think Croker might be the man to 5/8 as he plays direct and has a great ability to create an overlap for our outside men being Walker and Turbo. Croker is also a strong defender and id like to see the Croker Walker combo on the left. I dont think we would see the defensive deficiencies we seen wity Cust inside walker and croker would also create space for Walker.
Again it comes down to what's best for the team and with Parker out we have to reassess!

• 🤝
Reactions: R3

Simonmyers11

First Grader
I agree with the above about walker, defends better in the halves and gives pretty good early ball, tries to set up the outside backs, cust didn't do as good a job.

Dez might do a simple swap parker out and elliot to centre - similar style.

susan

Bencher
Ok. Agree to disagree then Robbo.

My opinion is based on the simple fact that our style of footy ( middle third and direct) is best suited by Walker by a country mile. The simple fact is we have played our best footy with him there.People seem to have short memories. Cades last couple of games were awful, not due to lack of talent but due to inexperience and not the direct style that suits Walkers powerful running and passing game.
Elliot in for Parker.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I agree with the above about walker, defends better in the halves and gives pretty good early ball, tries to set up the outside backs, cust didn't do as good a job.

Dez might do a simple swap parker out and elliot to centre - similar style.
Agree. You want minimal disruption to the team. Elliott has proven he can come in and do a job in various positions for the team.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
We were comprehensively schooled in the forwards and the ruck ... any shortcomings in the backs were a result ... not the cause ...

pjayz

הנשרים ישרור בעוד שנתיים מיום הנשרים
We were comprehensively schooled in the forwards and the ruck ... any shortcomings in the backs were a result ... not the cause ...
The three brain snap kicks from DCE when attacking in great field position were all on him (tackle 2,0,2) - that had nothing to do with the forwards. They killed our momentum and handed it to the warriors on each occasion. Having said that, I agree our forwards (save AFB) were off tonight and our ruck defence sucked.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
How about funa he is part of the top 30?
Love to see him come in if Parker is gone. Elliott is the safe option but Des also has a realistic view of how this side is developing and it is not only all about this year. Plus, a debutant can give the side a mental boost, sure seemed to work for the Panthers last night.
Will be either Funa or Elliott though, no way will Des move Walker or Garrick at this stage (in my opinion).

eagerbeaver

Reserve Grader
Cade cust
Games 7
Tries 4
Try assists 6
Line break assists 5
Forced drop outs 4
Tackle efficiency 79%

Walker at 5.8
Games 4
Tries 0
Try assists 2
Line break assists 0
Forced drop outs 2
Tackle efficiency 79%

Not sure where these stats are being pulled from, but they are not accurate.
I have Walker down for 4 or 5 LBA's and TAs in the last month. There were 2 LBA's just last night - if you recall DCE's linebreak down the sideline late in the game, it was Walker who fed him the ball.
https://mc.championdata.com/nrl/

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
12 8 4 100 18
12 7 5 64 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 7 5 -37 16
12 6 5 36 15
13 7 6 133 14
12 6 6 77 14
13 7 6 4 14